Awkward Solo Moments

adaymerced

When I go to buffets alone and go to get seconds ....I always lean my chair forward up against the table on the front two legs. That seems to be the universal signal that the seat is occupied.

I'll certainly give that a try the next time I'm in a buffet, although mostly eat in the MDR.

I've been trying out the spray bottles of suncream (not that there's any sun here at the moment to protect myself from!). I think the problem is that factor 50 is just pretty thick, so even though it's in a spray bottle, it still doesn't cover as well as a thinner mix might. I'll keep an eye out for a sponge on a stick though!

I've been trying out the spray bottles of suncream (not that there's any sun here at the moment to protect myself from!). I think the problem is that factor 50 is just pretty thick, so even though it's in a spray bottle, it still doesn't cover as well as a thinner mix might. I'll keep an eye out for a sponge on a stick though!

The sponge on a stick works but not well. I've gotten a couple of different ones and the problem is the sponge part sort of smears sunblock around so you have streaks of it but it virtually impossible to get sunblock everywhere on your back. Also, it takes twice the amount of sunblock with the sponge b/c it only streaks, as opposed to rubbing it into the skin. The best reason to use the sponge on a stick is when people see you using it and the streaks and lack of full coverage, someone will offer to apply sunblock on your back for you. :)

Reading this thread is making me feel less nervous about going by myself on the Carnival Magic on 2-10-13. My husband couldn't go because of work and frankly I booked just a couple of weeks ago without even thinking if family or anyone else could or would like to go.

I hope to relax and do some things my husband didnt want to do on our last cruises. I hope to meet a few people on excursions and the cabin crawl because of the roll call here on Cruise Critic. If I end up laying around all week by myself it will be ok, but I'm up for goofing off with others next week if the opportunity arises! I'm quiet and sometimes shy but I'm going to try my hardest not to be. The only thing at might be weird is eating in the MDR. Most likely I won't on Valentines. I have my time dining so I don't know how I feel about that. At least there are alot of things to do onboard if others find me too quiet. Piano Bar anyone?

I've been trying out the spray bottles of suncream (not that there's any sun here at the moment to protect myself from!). I think the problem is that factor 50 is just pretty thick, so even though it's in a spray bottle, it still doesn't cover as well as a thinner mix might.

Are you trying the "squirt" bottles (where you pull a trigger for each spray) or an aerosol bottle (where you just press the button and it comes out continuously)?

I've never had trouble with the aerosol kind not coming out easily, and I never use anything less than 50. It comes out in a wet spray mist and covers just fine for me. Try a different brand and see if you have better results.

Reading this thread is making me feel less nervous about going by myself on the Carnival Magic on 2-10-13.

Hope you have a brilliant time - as you can see, the primary concern about traveling alone is mostly suncream related :D Be sure to let us know how you get on.

I've never had trouble with the aerosol kind not coming out easily, and I never use anything less than 50. It comes out in a wet spray mist and covers just fine for me. Try a different brand and see if you have better results.

Maybe I've been unlucky with the aersols - I've tried Ambre Solaire, Nivea, and Soltan (Boots own brand). I've seen one called Anthelios, but not tried it yet. Do you have any recommendations?

Maybe I've been unlucky with the aersols - I've tried Ambre Solaire, Nivea, and Soltan (Boots own brand). I've seen one called Anthelios, but not tried it yet. Do you have any recommendations?

Try buying some in the US or Caribbean -- we have different brands here.

Trying to think of the ones I've had luck with... I think one was Coppertone Sport and another was a store brand version of the same.

My experience cruising solo seems to be a little different from everyone else. I took a 3 day Bahamas cruise in late December - it was my first cruise - and of course first solo cruise. I had quite a few awkward moments. First, I felt it was awkward boarding the ship, and they take your picture -obviously to try to sell you a copy later. I immediately recognized that I was the only solo cruiser, since everyone else was families or couples. Departure was awkward...everyone was with their partners or families in a party mood, and I was alone. Dinner the first night was when it came to a head. Table for six, but only one couple who was Italian and very much in love showed up. No one to talk to, and the servers kept asking when the rest of my party was going to show up. Again, the photographer came around taking pictures of the groups, and then when he came to me, I was depressed by this time, and declined. Went to the solo/singles meetups but no one else showed, and so the first night, I wanted off of that ship so bad.

I will say it got better over the next 2 days. I guess I just accepted that I was alone, but I struggled to find people to talk to. The hot tub on the last day was where I finally found people to talk to, and was invited to eat dinner with some folks I met there.

I guess being satisfied with cruising solo has to do with your expectations and whether you enjoy being alone. I don't enjoy being alone, although I'm accustomed to it, and had an expectation of quickly making friends, so for me it was awkward and disappointing.

The good news, even with my disappointment, I haven't ruled out cruising again. Too many places I want to go, and cruising seems to be the most economical.

I pretty much just returned from my first solo cruise. No issues what so ever! It was awesome, people were always around and if I wanted to be on my own, no problems. What I discovered on my previous cruises with companions was that people were friendlier when we on a"destination" cruise...i.e. not the caribbean. For some reason, there I couldn't find others to do things with. Therefore, I'm pretty much done with the caribbean. In other locations even though I had a companion if I was on my own I was "adopted" by someone many times. So, this time I decided to do it on my own and just booked my next solo. Bottom line - take a look at other destinations. This is just my humble opinion I'm sure there are plenty of others who would say the opposite.

I always cruise solo and have never had a problem meeting friends on board. I used to always get traditional dining, but now I'm more likely to do anytime dining. I have no problem either sharing a table or eating alone, with my Nook for company. I either book ship excursions or join a group on my roll call. In some ports I'm perfectly happy to just walk around by myself.

On my most recent cruise, I got talked into sharing a cabin with a newbie cruiser. We were a group of 8 in 4 cabins. As it turned out, she was a wonderful cabin-mate. However, I didn't realize that she's not the independent type and I had a shadow around the ship almost all the time. She loved it and wants me to plan another cruise for us. Not going to happen. I hope she finds someone else to cruise with.

I agree the sunscreen on the back problem is tricky - I find the safest way is to apply it in your cabin before going on deck - you can usually get a reasonably good rear view in the mirror. This will also avoid my biggest problem - I am allergic to chemical sunscreens (I have to use titanium/zinc ones) and, whilst some people are considerate and take care how they spray their sunscreen on, others pay no mind to their neighbours or the wind direction and everyone within a large radius gets covered in their overspray.

Hope you have a brilliant time - as you can see, the primary concern about traveling alone is mostly suncream related :D Be sure to let us know how you get on.

I use Neutrogena's spray on

There's a whole range of them here on Amazon http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=back+lotion+applicator&tag=googhydr-21&index=aps&hvadid=12522972710&hvpos=1t2&hvexid=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=518913973778552792&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=b&ref=pd_sl_801vp6bnvw_b

There is also a company called back bliss that seem to have aranged of them too. I just got mine from Amazon and went for one with interchangeable heads so I could have a spare pad when the other was still wet from being rinsed out. I'm tempted by the roll on one now though!

Edited by AmoMondo

I'm more of a social person and have no issue to start a conversation or just join in at the pool, hot tub, bar etc. I mostly eat in the MDR and request todine with others.

This is how I make week long friends to help me enjoy tours and the nightlife.

I'm with you on this. When I cruise solo, I try to say hello and initiate a conversation. If it goes somewhere, that's great. If not, then there are a lot more people on the ship to say hello to. You can tell right away if someone is a friendly type. At least they will know I am.

I take one or two solo cruises each year. I always go in late April/early May. I have a flexible work schedule which allows significant time off. I enjoy long cruises (14+) days and recently have been taking transatlantic cruises.

Funniest solo story is where I was put at a table in the MDR for 8 people. First night was myself and a H&W. Next night they didn't show (hope it wasn't me), I was alone and remained alone for the balance of the cruise. I was given the option of switching but I liked my waiter and decided to stay. The looks I got from people was priceless and I got the best service.

• 2 weeks later...
Even when I had someone with me, I often did things alone. They want to sleep or tan instead of go walkabout. So used to doing things on my own. You would be surprised how little people notice you so dont be concerned others are watching what you are doing. Just enjoy.

Yes, this is it exactly. My hubby seems to be prone to travel sickness when we travel and I frequently eat alone, or do activities by myself. You know, I don't even think of people watching me and feeling sorry for me as I am usually doing things I want to do!

I am the sort who will pack themselves off to the Theatre on my own. I never feel uncomfortable. I really dont get bothered by what other people are thinking, I cant change that, I only bother with what I (and important others) think.

I am booked on the QM2 for next February as a solo. I may get a girlfriend to come to keep the costs down, but if I don't that won't matter. I am asking for a table of 8 and think that will work fine. Excursions - I am going to see things I want to see so I dont need company for that. I can sleep in, eat breakfast at lunch time, go to movies, go to shows, sit on deck and read - sounds pretty much like bliss to me. I am not into dancing so won't miss that a bit!

I always cruise solo and have never had a problem meeting friends on board. I used to always get traditional dining, but now I'm more likely to do anytime dining. I have no problem either sharing a table or eating alone, with my Nook for company. I either book ship excursions or join a group on my roll call. In some ports I'm perfectly happy to just walk around by myself.

On my most recent cruise, I got talked into sharing a cabin with a newbie cruiser. We were a group of 8 in 4 cabins. As it turned out, she was a wonderful cabin-mate. However, I didn't realize that she's not the independent type and I had a shadow around the ship almost all the time. She loved it and wants me to plan another cruise for us. Not going to happen. I hope she finds someone else to cruise with.

Hi Judy,

Were you on the Mariner TA in November? I was on that cruise with a group of friends. I have never cruised solo, but am seriously considering booking a Suez Canal cruise in April. All dining times are wait listed and I will have to take "my time dining". Will I have a choice of dining alone OR with a group each night? You seem to be very comfortable cruising solo......any advice for me if I decide to book this cruise as a "solo lady"?

Thanks....Amber

Hi Judy,

Were you on the Mariner TA in November? I was on that cruise with a group of friends. I have never cruised solo, but am seriously considering booking a Suez Canal cruise in April. All dining times are wait listed and I will have to take "my time dining". Will I have a choice of dining alone OR with a group each night? You seem to be very comfortable cruising solo......any advice for me if I decide to book this cruise as a "solo lady"?

Thanks....Amber

Yes, I was on the Mariner TA last November. Because we had such a huge and active roll call, I never went into the dining room alone so I don't know what would have happened. I was with a couple of other people. We asked for large tables and never got anything smaller than a 6-top. From what I understand, the choice is yours, but your wait for a table will depend on what's available.

I love cruising solo. I much prefer having a cabin to myself. I've told friends that for my next two cruises I have booked a solo cabin and I'm letting them think that it's a cabin for one. I am independent at home so this is the way I travel.

Yes, I was on the Mariner TA last November. Because we had such a huge and active roll call, I never went into the dining room alone so I don't know what would have happened. I was with a couple of other people. We asked for large tables and never got anything smaller than a 6-top. From what I understand, the choice is yours, but your wait for a table will depend on what's available.

I love cruising solo. I much prefer having a cabin to myself. I've told friends that for my next two cruises I have booked a solo cabin and I'm letting them think that it's a cabin for one. I am independent at home so this is the way I travel.

Judy,

I couldn't agree with you more about having "my own private cabin". I wouldn't cruise if I had to share a cabin with someone, even my daughter. We just got back from a Holy Land cruise last week........she loves to cruise with me because she always has her own cabin..Ha! I'm still undecided about going solo in April. I've been trying to "get to Egypt" on my last 2 Med. cruises, with no luck, but I might wait until 2014. Egypt seems like a trip that you would want to share with someone you know and my daughter really wants to go.

I'm an independent woman, too. I live by myself in Belize with my 5 Labs and my parrot, Norm. My brother and I have a business in the States so I fly back and forth during the year. I love to cruise and will be going to Asia this fall with friends.

Thanks for the info & happy cruising!

But is booking a cabin for just yourself but travelling with family and friends going solo?

No it isn't going "solo" having my own cabin and traveling with family and friends. That's why I'm thinking about going by myself, alone in April. However, I will be assigned "anytime dining" and I have some reservations about that.

Love this thread. Sponge on a stick. LOL

I love cruising and have only just thought of going solo. I have a hubby but I get a lot more holidays than him so travel solo in between our trips together (a lot of people think that's weird in itself). People say "You're going BY YOURSELF?"

I get self conscious at times but agree it's just a perception. Like going to the big table alone. Most people would just assume your other half is late. If not, glance at the door every now and again as if waiting impatiantly for him/her. LOL

There are advantages to travelling solo. eg you can do what YOU like. I recently went to Bali and it rained and I just lazed around watching movies and documentaries one day. If I was with someone else I would have worried that they were bored.

What's the best way to find good deals for solo cruising?

Edited by sayaguru

I guess it's normal that people might say that it's weird you are married and are going on vacation alone. But I guess if both of you are comfortable with that, then it's ok.

I am leaving for my first solo Carnival cruise in a week. My previous cruise I was with a friend and couldn't sleep because of the snoring. This time I get the room all to myself and I can do whatever whenever I want. Sure I'd rather have a girlfriend come along but I'm single. I could stay at home and not go on vacation or I could set off on my own and enjoy myself. I figure it's better to get away.