Milford Sound on Solstice - Milford Sound from Queenstown

Mystictraveler

We will be in Queenstown for a few days before sailing out of Auckland on the Celebrity Solstice on Nov. 11. Our itinerary includes a day cruising through Dusky, Doubtful and Milford Sounds.

We are looking for advice on whether we should also do a day trip from Queenstown to Milford Sound as it is one of the most recommended things to do on TA? One of our hesitations is that it is a 13 hour trip and we would have to take the tour 2 or 3 days after a 28 hour journey from the US.

I know these things can depend on personal preferences, but if anyone has experience with both, I would love to hear your thoughts.

EDITQUOTEmultiquote_off.gif

In terms of seeing Milford Sound itself the cruise ship is the perfect platform. The drive out to Milford Sound is very nice so long as you go earlier than when the tourist coaches go (otherwise you just get an endless line of coaches in each direction). Te Anau is a more convenient base for going out to Milford Sound.

I'm not a good traveller on long windy roads so seeing Milford Sound from the upper deck of a cruise ship was great!!

we could see Milford Sound very clearly as we were in the middle of it.

we had two bonuses that day....a sunny day and the pod of dolphins that were frolicking nearby.

it can be cold on deck so we were prepared with jackets and scarves (this was in the month of February)

would suggest just seeing Milford Sound from the cruise ship.

I agree with the others . Best viewing of the sounds in Fiordland is from the ship. You will have plenty to see and do in Queenstown. A trip down Lake Wakatipu on the TSS Earnslaw is awesome. Its the oldest steamship still operating in the world...preserved by always being in fresh water. Heres a link to the webcam on board.

http://www.takeabreak.co.nz/webcams/196/earnslaw_webcam

Wanaka and Arrowtown are also well worth a visit during your Queenstown break.

As the others say, it's best to see Milford Sound from the cruise ship.

One day while staying in Queenstown you could drive over the Crown Range to Wanaka, a pretty lakeside town , also to Lake Hawea, which is nearby.

• 3 weeks later...

And I also agree that it's best to see Milford Sound from the ship.

I've been to Milford Sound four times: once by plane from Queenstown; once driving from Queenstown and doing an overnight "cruise" on the sound; and twice on Solstice.

Although you see some spectacular scenery driving to and from Milford Sound I would not like to do it in a single day.

Personally I think Milford is at it's most spectacular approached from the sea. Make sure you are out on deck before the ship enters the sound, you'll see why when you get there. ;) The best spot is the port side on Deck 15. Look out for the seals on "Seal Rock" a short way into the sound on the port side. The ship goes right into the sound, surprisingly close to the land at the end. Then she turns around and comes out again.

For both the other sounds the ship goes in one way and out another way. They are both very beautiful too, but not quite as spectacular as Milford.

We loved our trip through the sounds on the Carnival Legend, it was really lovely. I saw smaller boats getting much closer to the sides and going under waterfalls etc, so you don't get that on a larger ship! We are going again on the Solstice in 2019 we enjoyed it so much.

We took the bus tour from Queenstown to Milford Sound. As you said, it's a loooong ride. The scenery going down is nice but....it's a long ride.

We considered taking a plane ride back to Queenstown but we were fogged in. I definitely recommend doing the tour from the ship.

We went to Queenstown because of all the reviews. I wouldn't do it again. the Rotorua area was more interesting to me. Also the Waitomo glow worm caves.

If you want to take a bus trip to Milford Sound, follow MrYellowDuck's advice:

"Te Anau is a more convenient base for going out to Milford Sound.", or try to arrange a tour from Te Anau to Fiordland National Park. If we go back, I want to spend more time in Fiordland NP.