Uniworld to Refurb River Cruise Ship Into Luxurious "Super Ship"

Host Jazzbeau

Just as a point of clarification to the advertising. We are booked to be on the Beatrice in late August into early September 2018, Bucharest to Budapest. We just received notice that our Class 1 Cabin had been changed to another cabin because of scheduled ship renovations occurring at that time. For those of us sailing through the summer, we will be doing so during a period of active renovations. Currently, the posted advertising doesn't State when that work is scheduled for completion and the onboard renovations complete. I am a Uniworld fan, but find it in poor taste that we weren't advised of this prior to making the bookings!

I am a Uniworld fan, but find it in poor taste that we weren't advised of this prior to making the bookings!

If they have already told you that the renovations will be in progress during your cruise I'd be inclined to have a serious conversation with them about moving you to a different cruise.

Just as a point of clarification to the advertising. We are booked to be on the Beatrice in late August into early September 2018, Bucharest to Budapest. We just received notice that our Class 1 Cabin had been changed to another cabin because of scheduled ship renovations occurring at that time. For those of us sailing through the summer, we will be doing so during a period of active renovations. Currently, the posted advertising doesn't State when that work is scheduled for completion and the onboard renovations complete. I am a Uniworld fan, but find it in poor taste that we weren't advised of this prior to making the bookings!

I'm a little confused. The article states that the Beatrice will be launched as an SS Ship in April 2018. I took that to mean the renovations are being completed in the off season during the winter. Did your letter state they are going to be rennovating while sailing during the summer or are they just changing your room as a result of the reconfiguration taking place prior to April 2018

The letter stated that my cabin would be under renovation, at the time of the cruise. They assigned me a new cabin, with a list of other cabins that will likewise be under renovation at that time, so to eliminate them if I wanted to choose another cabin.

What we don't know is how much, and what, of the public areas will be out of service due to ongoing renovations.

• 1 month later...

A similar situation occurred for us with Scenic. We have only ever had one suite and that was Uniworld Seine/Nomandy. We were going to do Bordeaux, and due to dates we booked a suite with Scenic, for our second "pushing out the boat" cruise, we usually travel in the "middle" class. We booked the last suite on the date decided on, paid the usual "just in case" insurance of 75.00 I think it was. We were contacted and told we would have to pay another couple of thousand for the week as they had decided to upgrade the ship during winter so that meant out Suite would now be a Royal Suite, and we'll have yet more money. We were pretty angry, but decided to get all monies back and cancel. They weren't that impressed I think, but we thought they would have known prior to then that the ship was for a big refurb. So we did get the insurance back too, and I think that was probably a tipping point for me with Scenic and their lucrative oops situations (had another costing issue with them). I am just putting this on a Uniworld thread in case the costing was changed after the refurb they are doing on your ship.

Edited by Yggdrasil98
omission & clarity