Princes Cruises - New rip off for drinks package.

CavaGirl

Discovered this whilst on the Diamond Princess a couple of weeks ago that the Unlimited Drinks Package was never unlimited but limited to 40 drinks per day and was changed whilst we were aboard with the staff getting a new briefing that they told us about.

The Package is no longer called Unlimited is still US$68.99 per day per person but you are now limited to 15 drinks per day, and that will include tea, coffee and soft drinks, even bottles of water. Completely ridiculous and Princes should be ashamed of themselves.

Correction the T&Cs now say that non-alcoholic drinks are excluded from the 15 limit.

Terms and Conditions

Alcoholic drinks are limited to 15 beverages per 24-hour period (6 a.m. to 6 a.m.) Alcoholic drinks requested above the daily limits are at the discretion of the shipboard management and crew and charged at regular menu prices. Non-alcoholic drinks do NOT have this limitation, nor do they count towards this maximum.

Discovered this whilst on the Diamond Princess a couple of weeks ago that the Unlimited Drinks Package was never unlimited but limited to 40 drinks per day and was changed whilst we were aboard with the staff getting a new briefing that they told us about.

The Package is no longer called Unlimited is still US$68.99 per day per person but you are now limited to 15 drinks per day, and that will include tea, coffee and soft drinks, even bottles of water. Completely ridiculous and Princes should be ashamed of themselves.

Was the change made on day 1 or after?

68.99 plus 15% gratuity is 79.34. 79.34 divided by 15 is 5.29 per drink. Add in the soda, water and others, still seems like a screaming good deal to me.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

68.99 plus 15% gratuity is 79.34. 79.34 divided by 15 is 5.29 per drink. Add in the soda, water and others, still seems like a screaming good deal to me.
Yes, for people who can drink that much. I've added it up and it doesn't work out as a bargain for us. If we ever get it as a perk, I'll probably trade it in for the onboard credit.

Yes, for people who can drink that much. I've added it up and it doesn't work out as a bargain for us. If we ever get it as a perk, I'll probably trade it in for the onboard credit.

The cruise line doesn't price things like this to save passengers money. Almost all cruisers would do better Paying As You Go (PAGO). Sure, a very few will save money but only a very few.

Are there really people that can drink 15 alcoholic beverages a day, everyday and still function? I mean maybe if you never left the ship and paced yourself. But if you went on an excursion and had 5 or 6 hours to down those drinks, what kind of shape would you be in?

This seems to be a self-repeating cycle. Step 1: set a price and restrictions for bev package. Step 2: if it's reasonable, many people will buy it because they think that in the totality of the cruise, they can get their money's worth. Step 3: see that they aren't making as much profit as they expected so set a higher price with more restrictions. Step 4: fewer people buy it and the ones that do are the ones that think they will still get their money's worth; repeat steps 3 and 4 forever.

It's a bit like insurance, they higher the price gets, only the people who think they will really use it a lot will buy it. Therefore the payouts are higher than expected with fewer people paying the premiums so profits are low.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Since Princess is owned by Carnival and they have the 15 drink rule, I'm not surprised they changed it. However, they should give people a heads up.i realize to some it's not a big deal, but to others it is. For them to advertise as unlimited, but to hold you to 15 alcoholic beverages is false advertising. I pay for a drink packages so I don't have to worry or count what I'm having, but with this policy I'm back to doing that.

Just off the Ruby today. Found out that the Premier Beverage package doesn't start until today for them. The 69 people who purchased it on their cruise personalizer ahead of time were refunded in the last night.

Thinking it had already changed from AIBP to PBP we followed the new rules (only small water bottles not the big ones) but were surprised to see they hadn't started yet.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Forums mobile app

It must have been all the "sharing" that people never believed was going on that caused them to put a limit on it. :rolleyes:

I think that’s what it was too. Really disappointed in the changed options

I’m sure Princess doesn’t care, but we won’t be doing the package on our next cruise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The cruise line doesn't price things like this to save passengers money. Almost all cruisers would do better Paying As You Go (PAGO). Sure, a very few will save money but only a very few.
The countess and I will be among the few

It must have been all the "sharing" that people never believed was going on that caused them to put a limit on it. :rolleyes:
lol :') this and the drunken debauchery that may have taken place

Just off the Ruby today. Found out that the Premier Beverage package doesn't start until today for them. The 69 people who purchased it on their cruise personalizer ahead of time were refunded in the last night.

Thinking it had already changed from AIBP to PBP we followed the new rules (only small water bottles not the big ones) but were surprised to see they hadn't started yet.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Forums mobile app

Why would they refund the people who purchased it ahead of time?

I read through this thread and I think I missed something. Did no one question why this person was upset that there was a limit of 40 drinks a day at some time?

Have you ever been on and Princess cruise?!!! ;p is drunken debauchery is no where to be found!!

Can't say that I've seen it either.

I will say Princess is very afraid of getting a bad reputation & will react to bad press and that may have been a reason (other than the cost of sharing)

Why would they refund the people who purchased it ahead of time?

If you purchased a beverage package when it was unlimited (or 40 which I don't think anyone could hit without massive sharing); then came onboard to discover that the only beverage package available was limited to 15, the offer of a refund would be nice. Ideally they would let it be optional so those who aren't bothered by the limit would be able to take advantage of the old price.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums