Quick and authentic in Miami?

KCMiller

So, we're arriving in Miami for a two night stay before our cruise next Saturday, and are staying at a hotel out by the airport. We'll have a car, and we're looking for a Cuban place to grab some authentic food that's not fancy, and near the airport. Any thoughts? Carry out is fine, or a small local joint - we're looking for where the locals eat!

thanks,

KC

but my one and only visit there was somewhat disappointing.

which is why I don't typically recommend it ... far from the best Cuban food in Miami ... but a 'name' for those who want to experience Miami history. It isn't bad ... but there's better (wife's office was walking distance away for a time, we'd go for lunch)

my preferred 'larger' place is La Carreta with locations around town incl' one IN the airport

(try the La Carreta special which takes the typical Cuban sandwich and adds chorizo .... YUMMY)

http://lacarreta.com/locations/

note that Vers' is 3501 SW 8th St

and La Car' has a location at 3632 SW 8th .... a block away

either is ruffly 2.5 miles from the 'Blue Lagoon' area near the airport .....

but as I said there may be a mom and pop hidden gem the desk can point out. if not L C' is a fall back. Prices ain't bad.

Edited by Capt_BJ

You really want "Miami" check out el rinconcito de santa barbara 2050 W 56th St #33, Hialeah, FL 33016. It is my favorite Cuban place in town. its actually a mix of Cuban and Puerto Rican.

Also, any reason for quick and close if you are there for two nights? Already have everything else set for the other days you are there?

You really want "Miami" check out el rinconcito de santa barbara 2050 W 56th St #33, Hialeah, FL 33016. It is my favorite Cuban place in town. its actually a mix of Cuban and Puerto Rican.

Also, any reason for quick and close if you are there for two nights? Already have everything else set for the other days you are there?

We're landing at FLL around 5:30pm on Thursday evening, then getting a car and driving to the Miami hotel, and I'm thinking we're going to just chill at the hotel that evening with take out. The next morning we're driving to John Pennekamp State Park to take a glass bottom boat tour, and maybe driving down towards Key West - just to look around. We have no plans Friday evening yet - any suggestions? Saturday morning, we return the rental to MIA and take the free shuttle to the port!

KC

In the Keys, you'll want to stop at Robbie's Islamorada and feed the tarpon and check out the artwork. I would eat at either Lazy Days or grab a fish sandwich at Craigs. Key West is a LONG drive, keep that in mind. You may want to plan more for Islamorada or no further than Marathon unless you really feel like driving. Marathon has the Island Fish Company which is a pretty cool spot. Personally, for the day, I wouldn't want to drive down that far though.

As for Cuban food, that's tough. As other said, there are Cuban restaurants on every corner and in my opinion, nothing terribly special. Though I would recommend Versailles. If you are going to try one place, may as well try the famous one. Personally I like "Cod Seafood" which is a total local spot near the Miami airport in the industrial district. Otherwise, just check reviews and what not for restaurants in Little Havana.

Friday, come back to the mainland via Card Sound Road and stop at Alabama Jacks

no trip to Key Largo is complete without stopping here .... {but only open 'til 6:30}

https://www.floridabeachbar.com/alabama-jacks/

heading north on US-1 just b4 you leave the greater Key Largo area you'll see a sign for Card Sound Road .... this is an alternate route up to Florida City area. It will not add significantly to your travel time but there is one toll bridge ($1, cash only, no SUNPASS last time I was there). Taken to the end it will rejoin US-1 on the south side of Florida City. typically MUCH less traffic than US-1. (You can take it heading south too .... you'll see the BIG signs for the left turn ....)

DO NOTE if driving from the airport area to the Keys you will probably take the turnpike which in this part of FLORIDA is electronic payment of tolls ONLY. So understand what this means in your choice of rental cars ..... https://www.sunpass.com/rentalcar

If you try to avoid all toll roads you are going to SIGNIFICANTLY increase your travel time and risk of getting lost!

I like the Card Sound route, too. While there is a large sign for it, still easy to miss because there is no turn signal or anything and it's right as the road curves. It's especially easy to miss heading back north. Check Google Maps first so you know what to expect.

And just to throw out some more activity options. Look up Knaus Berry Farm, Coral Castle, Vizcaya Museum, and even Shark Valley.

And just to throw out some more activity options. Look up Knaus Berry Farm, Coral Castle, Vizcaya Museum, and even Shark Valley.

To add to BNBR's great list....If heading down to the Keys I'd add the Ernest Coe Visitors Center and Royal Palm in the Everglades National Park (https://www.nps.gov/ever/planyourvisit/coedirections.htm) located just 15 minutes off Route 1 (exit in Florida City). If you go, make sure you stop at Robert is Here (https://www.robertishere.com/) for a delicious homemade fruit milk shake. You will pass it about halfway between Route 1 and the entrance to the National Park.

We have no plans Friday evening yet - any suggestions? Saturday morning, we return the rental to MIA and take the free shuttle to the port!

KC

Yardbird in Miami Beach right off of Lincoln Road, then enjoy Lincoln Road in the evening. Make reservations ASAP. Lincoln Road is open pretty late.

I like the Card Sound route, too. While there is a large sign for it, still easy to miss because there is no turn signal or anything and it's right as the road curves. It's especially easy to miss heading back north. Check Google Maps first so you know what to expect.

OMG the cinnamon rolls at Knaus Berry Farm!! YASSS!!!

Ditto on CSR. Literally right before you enter the keys it is on the left. Right after Pollo Tropical.