When do you feel like you’re finally on vacation.....

Jthomasou

Our Cruise is in 5 days.

I can never decide which is worse the week leading up to a cruise or the week following.

So my question is when do you finally feel like you’re on vacation. For me it’s when I am thru security and I am walking on the gangway to the ship.

It’s as though the stress falls off of me on the walk.

I’m usually nearly 100 percent relaxed once our room isn’t available.

On my way to the cruiseport .

I’m like some of the others. Don’t feel like I’m on vacation until after the Muster Drill. That seems a little like work to me, something we HAVE to do! Then I’m heading to the top deck for the sail away party, now it’s started big time!

As soon as I step foot on the ship. Then I know that I'm there. The car to the airport didn't break down on the way to the airport. The plane was on time. Our plane landed safely. Our shuttle to the hotel picked us up. The hotel didn't overbook and I have a room. The next day the shuttle took me to the port without incident. I didn't die of boredom waiting for embarkation to begin. Now I step foot on the ship and can relax! :cool:

When I start packing my suitcase. That's usually the day or night before we hit the road to drive to our cruise. Sometimes we leave as much as 3 days before cruise day and so we are well into vacay mode days before we step onto the ship. I really begin to enjoy the drive after we get south of Jacksonville FL, that's when I start to feel that I'm 'there' but it's all an escalating excitement from the time that I start laying things into my suitcase.

I usually stay in a hotel in the city the night before. My vacation first starts when I am in a taxi/Uber heading to the hotel. Seeing the palm trees and scenery lets me know I'm there. Then it just gets progressively better. Into the hotel, then go to the beach/pool/city, then go to the ship the next day, then the muster drill ends.

I would say it's not even close that the week after is way worse than the week before. During the week before, yea, you just want to be there already. However, it is excitement for what is to come. The week after, I am depressed that I am no longer on that fun vacation, but back to work. Counting down the long period until the next vacation. That part is brutal.

My moment is when I'm through TSA at the airport, at that point there's no turning back...have wife, boarding pass, passport, carry-on, credit card and lots of cash...at that point relaxation settles in and pushes me toward the nearest airport bar.

I get the first rush of vacation excitement when I see the ship as we pull into the port but the official "vacation has begun" feeling comes the moment I step out on to the lido deck. I celebrate that feeling with a frozen fruity concoction in a hurricane glass!