Booking a cruise to Cuba - but what if travel is banned?

kac0426

I'm considering booking a Cuba cruise for May. But I know there's a pending government decision, to be made on March 4, that may affect travel to Cuba. Does anyone have any insight or recommendations on booking cruises after March 4? Would you go ahead and book the cruise and take the risk? What if travel to Cuba is banned after March 4? Would the cruise line refund my money or would they just substitute a different port? Obviously, the reason for booking the cruise is to go to Cuba, so if at the last minute I were notified I'd be going to Cozumel instead, it would be quite disappointing. I also know that's the risk you take when you cruise though...

I would take the risk. There is too much US money and jobs involved for a ban to occur.

I had not heard that another "decision" was forthcoming on March 4. Could you provide a source?

All that has happened so far that would affect Cuba is the removal of the self-guided person to person option. People simply switched to the support for Cuban people option. In both cases people were using those approaches improperly but there has been zero enforcement in either case. It would be in nobody's interest to ban cruises to Cuba. The Trump crowd just wants to make noise to satisfy the dead-enders in South Frorida.

When the State Department felt that U.S. personnel in Cuba were at risk as a result of unresolved health risks, they said the total length of Ordered Departure status may not exceed 180 days, which falls on March 4. If after 180 days the State Department determines the threat still exists, they plan to permanently adjust the staffing posture of the Embassy. Some fear that travel to Cuba could be banned at that point. This may or may not be a justified fear. I'm honestly not sure.

When the State Department felt that U.S. personnel in Cuba were at risk as a result of unresolved health risks, they said the total length of Ordered Departure status may not exceed 180 days, which falls on March 4. If after 180 days the State Department determines the threat still exists, they plan to permanently adjust the staffing posture of the Embassy. Some fear that travel to Cuba could be banned at that point. This may or may not be a justified fear. I'm honestly not sure.

I just read a fairly long article in the Miami Herald about this issue, but it makes no inference that there will be a ban on traveling to Cuba.

Here are parts of the article:

"The United States met its commitment to issue 20,000 travel documents for fiscal year 2017 (and fiscal year 2016). That commitment was met through the issuance of immigrant visas and parole documents.....Due to the departure of all non-emergency personnel from U.S. Embassy Havana, we expect to face challenges in meeting that commitment in FY 2018.....Washington withdrew most of its personnel from the embassy in Havana to protect them from the mysterious attacks suffered by 24 diplomats and other U.S. personnel between November 2016 and August 2017. The embassy suspended processing visas, except for medical emergencies and Cuban officials, and halted almost all operations at its immigration visa section.....The sharp cut in U.S. Embassy staffing since October has significantly reduced travel by Cubans to the United States and family reunifications. Cubans who want to immigrate to the United States must apply at the U.S. Embassy in Colombia, while those who just want to visit, to see family or for any other reason must apply at any U.S. Embassy outside Cuba.....The problem could become permanent if the State Department determines that the risks for U.S. personnel in Cuba, as a result of unresolved health attacks, have not changed.....The total length of Ordered Departure status may not exceed 180 days, which falls on March 4, 2018. If after 180 days we have determined this threat still exists, we will permanently adjust the staffing posture of our Embassy.....Currently, diplomats in Havana are living on the island without their family, and that could continue for at least another year if the embassy does not resume normal operations after six months."

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This article makes it sound like our diplomats might possibly still be living there (without family, though) for at least another year. It doesn't say they'll have to leave.

None of this has anything to do with US citizens traveling to Cuba. Of course, any policy can change, but this article doesn't apply March 4 to anyone except the embassy employees.

Go to Cuba and enjoy yourself!! It's a wonderful country and I had a great visit. :D

• 2 months later...
I'm considering booking a Cuba cruise for May. But I know there's a pending government decision, to be made on March 4, that may affect travel to Cuba. Does anyone have any insight or recommendations on booking cruises after March 4? Would you go ahead and book the cruise and take the risk? What if travel to Cuba is banned after March 4? Would the cruise line refund my money or would they just substitute a different port? Obviously, the reason for booking the cruise is to go to Cuba, so if at the last minute I were notified I'd be going to Cozumel instead, it would be quite disappointing. I also know that's the risk you take when you cruise though...

I just booked a cruise for June with a stop in Cuba, so it’s safe to say they are still booking and taking ships there as of now, well past the March date.