Shuttles and taxis from NZ cruise ports

** Please post your recommendations ONLY in response to request...do not start a new thread. Thanks!
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 11:00 PM.
#1
43 Posts
Joined May 2010
We are traveling in April on the HA Noordam. I realize this question has been addressed in the past for some ports, but want to get current information. Several of our ports do not appear to be within walking distance of the nearby towns. For instance, Port Chalmers is several miles from Dunedin. I would love to get information regarding shuttles and/or taxis available at the following ports and the approximate cost. Thanks in advance!
Port Chalmers
Picton
Wellington
Napier
Does Holland still tender into Paihia for Waitangi?

#2
I come from a land down under
25,677 Posts
Joined Jul 2014
Originally posted by sunset sails
We are traveling in April on the HA Noordam. I realize this question has been addressed in the past for some ports, but want to get current information. Several of our ports do not appear to be within walking distance of the nearby towns. For instance, Port Chalmers is several miles from Dunedin. I would love to get information regarding shuttles and/or taxis available at the following ports and the approximate cost. Thanks in advance!
Port Chalmers
Picton
Wellington
Napier
Does Holland still tender into Paihia for Waitangi?


We did it with Princess, so it may vary slightly but they had shuttles not Pc, Pto and Wellington, we didn’t go to Napier.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature





#3
19,023 Posts
Joined Aug 2010
At Picton, Noordam will berth at Waimahara Wharf, Shakespeare Bay, a free shuttle is provided from the ship into Picton township.
At Napier a free shuttle is provided into the information centre in town.
Wellington, a shuttle for a small charge into the city centre.
Port Chalmers a shuttle bus into central Dunedin, costing around $15.00 NZ .
#4
Sydney, Australia
8,507 Posts
Joined Jan 2014
The Wellington shuttle was free when we were there last February. You can no longer walk from the wharf so they stopped charging for the shuttles.

I fairly certain all cruise ships tender at the Bay of Islands, some go to Waitangi with free shuttles to Paihia, but I have heard of tenders going to the main Paihia wharf as well.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature






Mar 2018 - Diamond Princess - Sydney to Yokohama
Sep 2017 - Royal Princess - Mediterranean
Feb 2017 - Celebrity Solstice - Auckland to Sydney
Nov 2016 - Carnival Legend - South Pacific
Sep 2016 - Sun Princess - Papua New Guinea
Apr 2016 - Golden Princess - Sydney to Hong Kong
Dec 2015 - Celebrity Solstice - Auckland to Sydney
Aug 2015 - Dawn Princess - Top End Fremantle to Sydney
Mar 2015 - Rhapsody of the Seas - South Pacific
Dec 2014 - Sun Princess - South Pacific
Sep 2008 - Avalon Tapestry - Rhine Cruise
#5
I come from a land down under
25,677 Posts
Joined Jul 2014
Originally posted by OzKiwiJJ
The Wellington shuttle was free when we were there last February. You can no longer walk from the wharf so they stopped charging for the shuttles.

I fairly certain all cruise ships tender at the Bay of Islands, some go to Waitangi with free shuttles to Paihia, but I have heard of tenders going to the main Paihia wharf as well.
I’m pretty sure Wellington was $2 when we were there two years ago. But in all honesty $2 v free didn’t really notice.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature





#6
38 Posts
Joined Apr 2017
Royal Carribean were charging $20us per shuttle between Port Chalmers and Dunedin. Or you can walk into town and catch a bus from the main street of Port Chalmers to right in front of the Cadbury factory. $6 adult, $3.60 child in NZ pesos, one way. It is a public bus route so there are a few detours instead of a direct trip but it isn't a big deal.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Exploder of the seams - Nov 2016
Ovulation of the seas - Dec 2017
#7
I come from a land down under
25,677 Posts
Joined Jul 2014
Originally posted by snoozer of the seas
Royal Carribean were charging $20us per shuttle between Port Chalmers and Dunedin. Or you can walk into town and catch a bus from the main street of Port Chalmers to right in front of the Cadbury factory. $6 adult, $3.60 child in NZ pesos, one way. It is a public bus route so there are a few detours instead of a direct trip but it isn't a big deal.
I actually enjoy the public bus routes, you get see more of the local area, often meet some interesting people too.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature





#8
19,023 Posts
Joined Aug 2010
Noordam at Port Chalmers today.
We were in town this morning, spoke with people from the Noordam who said that they understood the shuttle cost was $15.00(NZ $).