[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 02:51 PM.
Boston MA
7,245 Posts
Joined Dec 2006
Originally posted by QShip
Extremely frustrating to not be able to see the pictures, and I am sure also for the poster. I expect Photobucket will get a lot of backlash about it, and lose a lot of users. A real operations mistake.

Though it would be a monumental job I suppose the OP could download the photos to another service and post them again.
No, the checks are rolling in from business clients who use Photobucket for third-party hosting. The article I read in the Denver Post has them sounding as happy as clams at high tide. The only individual customers who are effected are those who use the site for 3rd-party hosting. If all you want to do is store photos there for other people to look at, as I understand it, accounts are still free. My guess is that most of the CC members who created posts using PB will not be upgrading their accounts and we will see a lot of placeholders in old posts, because we cannot go back to edit those posts.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
"Caminante no hay camino, se hace camino al andar." Antonio Machado
Expand for links to links to photos and more.
The high value put upon every minute of time, the idea of hurry-hurry as the most important objective of living, is unquestionably the most dangerous enemy of joy Herman Hesse

Click on the links below for photos

AT SEA: 1983/NCL Caribbean ~ 1985/Premier DisneyWorld+Cruise ~ 1997/NCL Alaska ~ 2000/Renaissance Istanbul to Athens ~ 2001/Celebrity Horizon Southern Caribbean ~ 200?/NCL Boston to Bermuda ~ 2005/Celebrity Zenith Central America/Western Caribbean ~ 2006/RCCL L.A. to Ensenada ~2007/Celebrity Century Scandinavia & Baltic Capitals ~2009/Celebrity Infinity South America around the Horn ~ 2016/Viking Sea Midnight Sun ~ 2016/Viking Sea NYE on the Med

RIVER DAYS: 2010/Viking River Cruises "China's Cultural Delights" ~ 2013/Viking "Footsteps of the Cossacks" ~ 2015/Viking "Passage to Eastern Europe"

Save
New York
9,219 Posts
Joined Aug 2011
I've been enjoying lots of services on the internet for free for a long time [thank you Ad Block Plus!], but at some point somebody has to pay for this stuff. In addition to Photobucket's new mandatory fees [and they are pretty steep for individuals like us], my preferred free blog hosting site [TravelPod] just went completely out of business! I rebuilt all my blogs on WordPress, but who knows how long that will last? Maybe I should go back to chiseling the info on a Standing Stone -- they seem to last millennia!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Email me: [email protected]
Blogs: Jazzbeaux Blogs

I am not an employee of Cruise Critic and I don't speak for Cruise Critic. All opinions are mine alone. Also, I'm only a Host on the various River forums -- everywhere else I'm "just plain Jazz."

Booked:
Viking Sun British Isles Explorer 8-2018
Celebrity Edge Caribbean 1-2019
Ponant/Backroads Iceland 8-2019
Ponant New Zealand 3-2020

Completed:
AMA Discover Africa 5-2018 / Azamara Quest Costa Rica 1-2018 / Crown Princess Classic Canada & New England 10-2017 / Norwegian Pride of America Hawaii 10-2016 / Azamara Quest Norwegian Fjords 8-2016 / Celebrity Constellation Greek Isles 5-2016 / AmaDagio Provence 9-2015 / Celebrity Xpedition Galapagos 5-2015 / Celebrity Eclipse Southern Carib 3-2015 / Fresco Tours A Kinder Camino walking tour 9-2014 / Crystal Serenity Mediterranean 5-2014 / Coral Princess Panama Canal 1-2014 / AmaCello Rhine 8-2013 / Coral Princess Alaska 6-2013 / Ireland Fly-Drive 9-2012 / Norwegian Dawn Caribbean 3-2013 / Celebrity Summit Caribbean 1-2012 / Oceania Insignia Mediterranean 5-2011 / Fair Dinkum (Erie Canal bareboat) 7-2003 / Costa Italia Caribbean 5-1974
Boston MA
7,245 Posts
Joined Dec 2006
Originally posted by Host Jazzbeau
I've been enjoying lots of services on the internet for free for a long time [thank you Ad Block Plus!], but at some point somebody has to pay for this stuff. In addition to Photobucket's new mandatory fees [and they are pretty steep for individuals like us], my preferred free blog hosting site [TravelPod] just went completely out of business! I rebuilt all my blogs on WordPress, but who knows how long that will last? Maybe I should go back to chiseling the info on a Standing Stone -- they seem to last millennia!
We better get used to it. Eventually the internet ad paradigm is going to burst (or fall like a house of cards) and we will be paying for more and more services that we have taken for granted. There is no such thing as a free lunch.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
The high value put upon every minute of time, the idea of hurry-hurry as the most important objective of living, is unquestionably the most dangerous enemy of joy Herman Hesse

AT SEA: 1983/NCL Caribbean ~ 1985/Premier DisneyWorld+Cruise ~ 1997/NCL Alaska ~ 2000/Renaissance Istanbul to Athens ~ 2001/Celebrity Horizon Southern Caribbean ~ 200?/NCL Boston to Bermuda ~ 2005/Celebrity Zenith Central America/Western Caribbean ~ 2006/RCCL L.A. to Ensenada ~2007/Celebrity Century Scandinavia & Baltic Capitals ~2009/Celebrity Infinity South America around the Horn ~ 2016/Viking Sea Midnight Sun ~ 2016/Viking Sea NYE on the Med

RIVER DAYS: 2010/Viking River Cruises "China's Cultural Delights" ~ 2013/Viking "Footsteps of the Cossacks" ~ 2015/Viking "Passage to Eastern Europe"

Save
Maryland
5,310 Posts
Joined Mar 2004
Well, I've been using pbase.com for 10 or more years now. They have always charged for use of their site, but it's what I consider very reasonable. Prices start at $23 a year and go up, depending upon how large your storage is. I have quite a few large photos in numerous galleries on there; think I pay around $40. I'm glad I chose them long ago. I also like them because you can write fairly long captions, although format is certainly not as flexible as that of a blog site.
Northern Virginia
1,027 Posts
Joined Jan 2015
Originally posted by roothy123
Well, I've been using pbase.com for 10 or more years now. They have always charged for use of their site, but it's what I consider very reasonable. Prices start at $23 a year and go up, depending upon how large your storage is. I have quite a few large photos in numerous galleries on there; think I pay around $40. I'm glad I chose them long ago. I also like them because you can write fairly long captions, although format is certainly not as flexible as that of a blog site.

If we're comparing photo sites, I highly recommend SmugMug. No limit on the size of what you post or how much. Provides much better organizational functionality as well (folders that can be organized hierarchically with galleries of photos within). No charge to anybody who accesses your photos. No charge to download altho you can, for a small fee, have prints made. You can limit access to or the discoverability of your content in various ways. I have my site set up as SmugIsland (invisible to Google) and have set up some galleries that hide the existence of or a path to the rest of my site (such as the gallery i set up for the pics I took at our Meet & Mingle last year). They have 4 tiers of membership. I pay $72 a year for a Power plan (just above Basic). Used to be $60.

Sent from my iPad using Forums
579 Posts
Joined Oct 2014
Thank you for your comments!
It's very unfortunate that FB is no longer a free service.

Another thing is that Cruise Critic does not allow members to go back to edit posts.

I will post a link to the video review as soon as it's ready.

I will be posting photos on my blog instead of FB.
Northern Virginia
1,027 Posts
Joined Jan 2015
Originally posted by ronbe65
Thank you for your comments!

It's very unfortunate that FB is no longer a free service.

Another thing is that Cruise Critic does not allow members to go back to edit posts.

I will post a link to the video review as soon as it's ready.

I will be posting photos on my blog instead of FB.

You can edit them but only during a very teeny tiny time window. No different btw than Facebook. All these forum/social app sites operate on the "shoot and forget" model.

Boston MA
7,245 Posts
Joined Dec 2006
Originally posted by CharTrav
You can edit them but only during a very teeny tiny time window. No different btw than Facebook. All these forum/social app sites operate on the "shoot and forget" model.

I think auto-correct may have been at work and that ronbe65 is referring to Photobucket and not Facebook.

"Shoot and forget" I like that. Edit period for CC posts is 20 minutes after you post them. Facebook seems to be a lot longer than that. I went back on my timeline for a few months and everything there seems to be edit-able or delete-able.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Save
Northern Virginia
1,027 Posts
Joined Jan 2015
Originally posted by Peregrina651
I think auto-correct may have been at work and that ronbe65 is referring to Photobucket and not Facebook.

"Shoot and forget" I like that. Edit period for CC posts is 20 minutes after you post them. Facebook seems to be a lot longer than that. I went back on my timeline for a few months and everything there seems to be edit-able or delete-able.
Actually my reference to Facebook was deliberate. And nice to know how much time I have to fix things. And....you're right about Facebook. I was wrong. Forgotten when I've written a post late at night and not notice the effects of a blunderimg autocorrect til the next day. And fixed it. And have also deleted posts many days later.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums
North Miami Beach, FL
27 Posts
Joined Sep 2010
Hmm, for some reason I am unable to view your posted photos - seeing the pasted image below. Nevertheless, thanks for the great review. Our first Viking Ocean cruise in at the end of March 2018, I am counting the days!!

Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Celebrity Equinox
Celebrity Solstice
Holland America Nieuw Amsterdam
Home Lines MS/MV Atlantic
Admiral Cruises Stardancer
Boston MA
7,245 Posts
Joined Dec 2006
Originally posted by Michael219
Hmm, for some reason I am unable to view your posted photos - seeing the pasted image below. Nevertheless, thanks for the great review. Our first Viking Ocean cruise in at the end of March 2018, I am counting the days!!

Sadly, OP's images can no longer be seen at all. The third party site that he was using changed its terms of service and began charging for the ability to share images. OP decided not to pay the fee.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Save
New York
9,219 Posts
Joined Aug 2011
Originally posted by Peregrina651
Sadly, OP's images can no longer be seen at all. The third party site that he was using changed its terms of service and began charging for the ability to share images. OP decided not to pay the fee.
Like many of us. If a cruise line had made a change like this, we'd be all over its forum complaining about the 'cutbacks'
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

I am not an employee of Cruise Critic and I don't speak for Cruise Critic. All opinions are mine alone. Also, I'm only a Host on the various River forums -- everywhere else I'm "just plain Jazz."

Booked:

Completed:
AMA Discover Africa 5-2018 / Azamara Quest Costa Rica 1-2018 / Crown Princess Classic Canada & New England 10-2017 / Norwegian Pride of America Hawaii 10-2016 / Azamara Quest Norwegian Fjords 8-2016 / Celebrity Constellation Greek Isles 5-2016 / AmaDagio Provence 9-2015 / Celebrity Xpedition Galapagos 5-2015 / Celebrity Eclipse Southern Carib 3-2015 / Fresco Tours A Kinder Camino walking tour 9-2014 / Crystal Serenity Mediterranean 5-2014 / Coral Princess Panama Canal 1-2014 / AmaCello Rhine 8-2013 / Coral Princess Alaska 6-2013 / Ireland Fly-Drive 9-2012 / Norwegian Dawn Caribbean 3-2013 / Celebrity Summit Caribbean 1-2012 / Oceania Insignia Mediterranean 5-2011 / Fair Dinkum (Erie Canal bareboat) 7-2003 / Costa Italia Caribbean 5-1974
New York
9,219 Posts
Joined Aug 2011
Originally posted by ronbe65
Host Jazzbeau,

Good news. I am about to complete the major part of my Viking picture blog.
IMO it will be better to post in a new thread (instead of scrolling many pages with empty picture frames).
Thanks.
I agree. Thanks.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Booked:

Completed:
Louisville, Kentucky, USA
191 Posts
Joined Jan 2013
ronbe65 - can you add a link to your blog so we can see the pictures there? Thanks for the detailed review!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
In the near future...
2018 Viking Orion Iconic Cities of the Western Med (July 7 - 14)
2018 Celebrity Edge Eastern Caribbean Holiday (December 23 - 30)
2019 Seabourn Sojourn Ultimate Alaska & Inside Passage (July 2 - 14)