Port Canaveral...

thephantomsgirl

Well I'm 45 minutes from PC. In fact I'll be eating at the port tonight for sailaways. With 3 YC bookings already made I could easily double that if true and they release itineraries. Would certainly put price pressure on NCL for Haven suites.

Dennis

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Wishful thinking as MSC is locked into Miami. There next east coast port will be New York. Since they are doing Cuba & etc. out of Miami I can't think of a ship they could put in PC. Nothing is constant so who knows what MSC will do next year...

Edited by CarolnLarry
Wrong Port

I think it's a possibility. PC is a Disney enclave. I think they could put some major pressure on Disney too, especially with the partnership they have with Lego. We've done two Disney cruises and have two MSC's booked. I'm betting we don't look back.

Another consideration is the number of Orlando to Europe flights. MSC will not be giving up much of the European market, or South American market for that matter, by using PC. I would think the European tour operators would cheer turning one-week Disney tours into two-week Disney + cruise vacations.

Dennis

Another consideration is the number of Orlando to Europe flights. MSC will not be giving up much of the European market, or South American market for that matter, by using PC. I would think the European tour operators would cheer turning one-week Disney tours into two-week Disney + cruise vacations.

Dennis

While this is true, it should be noted that many of the British groups, particularly TUI, decrease or completely cut flights from January-March, and again decrease in July/August. While Miami always has the beaches to cool off when too hot, and is a little more south so it gets less cold in winter, Orlando does not. I remember being cold in Orlando in February during the day, and I'm from up north. I think their smartest bet would be to stay locked into Miami, because for every one flight Orlando has to South America or Europe, Miami has about 3-4. The nearby airport is also a huge swing factor, not everyone can fly in weeks before or after a cruise and combine for a long holiday. The proximity of FLL and MIA to the ships in Miami make it easy for anybody, North or South American, or European, to hop on a flight immediately before or after their cruise, while Orlando is a little further away.

Also, in particular with TUI, they have their own line of cruise ships, Marella, where they have ships positioned in Montego Bay, Havana, La Romana, and Barbados. They use their chartered planes to let people either go on weeklong cruises, or combine resort/villa stays and cruise ships in the Caribbean. So, if Brits want a combined package of cruise and land, they have it basically laid out for them. I know my post is geared mostly towards the British, but they are the large majority of the Europeans who travel to Orlando. Miami makes the most sense.

Even though I posted what I did above, I would not be completely shocked if Port Canaveral is chosen as a new homeport. I think New York is much more of a viable option, where they could offer 7 night cruises to Port Canaveral (for Orlando), Ocean Cay and Nassau, but preferably Bermuda (speaking of, why don't they build another pier? The demand is obviously there?) cruises. They could also do fall foliage from New York, maybe one ways between New York and Quebec or just the typical 7 night roundtrip. Then, the ship could go down south to a Caribbean island, or possibly even South America for the North American winter, if that market proves successful.

Asia is also on their radar, as it is with every line. A ship may soon get positioned or even designed for full time Asian deployment.

MSC and the city of Miami put a lot of money into the terminal in Port Miami, they will not be leaving soon. The Magnifica will be sailing out of NYC next year. It has a very nice itinerary. Capt. Massa will be the Master.

MSC and the city of Miami put a lot of money into the terminal in Port Miami, they will not be leaving soon. The Magnifica will be sailing out of NYC next year. It has a very nice itinerary. Capt. Massa will be the Master.

I didn't say anything about leaving Miami or NYC....

FLORIDA TODAY Published 7:03 p.m. ET April 26, 2018 | Updated 5:58 p.m. ET April 27, 2018

"We didn't just decide to build it and they will come," Port Commissioner Bob Harvey said during this week's Canaveral Port Authority meeting.

In expanded comments to constituents on his Facebook page, Harvey wrote: "There has been some concern voiced over the new cruise terminal, and whether the port really needs one and how much it costs. Here is an update. The cruise line that will be utilizing the new terminal is partnering with the port on the construction costs, and the new ships they are home-basing here are too large for any of our other terminals, except Cruise Terminal 1, the other new terminal, which is controlled by Royal Caribbean."

Murray said the new terminal complex will be able to accommodate up to 6,500 cruise passengers. Four cruise lines already base ships at Port Canaveral — Carnival, Disney, Norwegian and Royal Caribbean.

So the question is, who is building ships that are too big for normal terminals? Hmmmm. Just food for thought.

Bret

An MSC ship from Port Canaveral would be great, since we only live about an hour and half from there. However, after reading the post from Cruiseguyinorl, I wonder if this is alluding to the new Disney Cruise Line ships?

Disney is building three new ships, arrival in 2021 and 2022, and 2023, if I recall correctly. There is speculation that they will larger than the present Fantasy and Dream. Disney does have a lovely terminal built for their ships, but is it large enough to accommodate a new ship?

Either way, exciting things coming for Port Canaveral. If my preferred cruise lines base their ships there, I will be very happy!