What to pack, 1st timers, South Pacific Cruise

Frognut

Hi All,

DH and I are first time cruizers and unsure of what types of clothing to pack. We're going on Pacific Jewel in July 2012 for our 35th wedding anniversary and not sure if we should pack summer type clothing with a jacket or some warmer winter clothing?:confused:

Many thanks for your help,

Frognut

Hi All,

DH and I are first time cruizers and unsure of what types of clothing to pack. We're going on Pacific Jewel in July 2012 for our 35th wedding anniversary and not sure if we should pack summer type clothing with a jacket or some warmer winter clothing?:confused:

Frognut

Congratulations on your wedding anniversary. Don't forget to tell your cabin steward and table waiter on the ship. They will put a couple of balloons on your cabin door and give you a small cake at the dinner table. You can order a larger cake (at a cost) if you want, but the small (free) one can be cut into four or six tiny pieces. They are very rich so I have noticed that the big cakes seem to go to waste anyway.

Now to your question. I suggest jeans or long pants plus one warm jacket for sailaway and the last day before coming back into Sydney. It will be cool on deck for the first day or two at sea and near the end of the cruise, but you will probably spend a fair bit of time inside and it is air-conditioned so not cold. Once you get to the islands it will be warm - think of Rockhampton to Cairns weather in winter. It would be a bit cool for me to swim but I am from Queensland. You might find it OK.:)

Have a wonderful cruise.

Hi All,

Frognut

35th wedding anniversary :D well done.

This link is a good read and should give you a few idea's and it would pay you to the wheather for cast in that ports you going the week before you depart.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=696723

Hi All,

Frognut

hi frognut, it'll be nice being onboard for your anniversary but it can get very cold on the main deck so i would take something warm.....we have cruised in june & july and the weathers a bit dicey but the islands are nice

Hi All,

Thank you all so much for your quick responses, sorry I haven't replied sooner, I've been working. I'm a nurse and the shift work isn't always sociable!!!!LOL

We will definitely inform the steward and the waiters of our Anniversary, I just can't wait to get away now but it's months away, oh well, it's something to look forward to.

Cheers and thank you all again,

Frognut

We went to the Sth Pacific in July this year out of Brissy. It was coolish the first day or so sailing out of Brissy - especially up on the top decks etc - but other than that, I never needed warm clothes again once we got near Noumea. The ships air con did make some people a little cool...particularly if you had just been swimming or snorkeling somewhere and then returned to the ship a bit damp. ;):)

Hope you enjoy your first cruise!! You'll more than likely become hooked like the rest of us in here. ;) :)

Edited by golfer76

The short answer is, summer type clothing and a warm jacket when on deck in the evening.

The air con in each cabin is adjustable to your liking but takes about an hour to stabilize.

We have always found the cabin staff put aircon back on full cold each morning when doing cabin.:)

• 6 years later...

Hi all we are going on the Sun Princess in April and lm not sure if we need clothes in case it's cold on the ship day or night please if someone could advise us that would be appreciated and any other tips for our cruise as this is our first time

Some people can find the aircon cold so I always take a material wrap (even a sarong) as I can use it in a number of ways. I have put it over my shoulders when cold and over my arms and legs to cover up from the sun. It folds up small so easy to pack and takes up far less room than a cardy.