Taking soda on board - cans or bottles?

Burgmeister

As the thread title says really, are we better off taking cans or bottles of soda on board with us for our upcoming trip?

We've never sailed Princess before so this "bring your own" soda thing is all new to us.

Thanks

As the thread title says really, are we better off taking cans or bottles of soda on board with us for our upcoming trip?

We've never sailed Princess before so this "bring your own" soda thing is all new to us.

Thanks

Cans or small bottles are both fine. Cans stack better in the cabin fridge and I feel are easier to carry on. We take the 7 oz cans, easy to handle, no waste, easy to store in the fridge.

We just recently took a regular case of coke on board. Put a luggage tag on it and sent it through. It arrived in cabin with no problem. We did tape the case with duct tape all the way around to prevent it from splitting open.

Cheryl

Carnival wouldn't let me bring bottled Coke on board, only cans. Not sure of Princess' policy regarding bottles.

We brought cans of diet coke and bottles of diet Dr. Pepper on Princess on April 1. There is no regulation as to cans or bottles. And Carnival's policies don't matter on Princess ships. I did find the cans to be easier to manage, but I bought what was on sale at the only grocery I had access to.

Either cans or bottles are OK but bottles are better since you don't have to drink the complete drink at one time & can reseal it for later.

Also the bottles can be rinsed out & used for juice from the buffet to take off the ship or mix with your own stuff later in the day. 😊

Thanks

Either is fine. I prefer plastic bottles because if you don’t finish it, you can screw the top back on for later. Also I carry two 30 oz. stainless steel wide neck insulated bottles so I can put ice in it to keep the soda/water ice cold for 72 hour. Good for shore excursions. I usually bring one case each of A&W Root Beer, Dr. Pepper, and A&W Vanilla Cream Soda. Taped with duct tape, and luggage tagged with stateroom number. No problems ever.

Enjoy your cruise.

I can't drink caffeine so I bring a 12-pack of Caffeine-Free Diet Dr. Pepper. I'd much rather buy it onboard but no one carries it. For traveling on planes, we've found that if we wrap it in bubble wrap, then put it in a handheld piece of luggage, it eventually gets to our cabin safely. If we weren't flying, I wouldn't bother with the bubble wrap.

Carnival wouldn't let me bring bottled Coke on board, only cans. Not sure of Princess' policy regarding bottles.

Carnival got very tired of people refilling bottles with liquor so they stopped letting people bring on bottles of any kind. My wife likes some types of flavored water so she sometimes takes a few of those onboard. She carries them in her carry on luggage and has never had an issue. Obviously they are sealed bottles. For soda I would definitely take cans. Much less hassle than bottles.

Carnival got very tired of people refilling bottles with liquor so they stopped letting people bring on bottles of any kind.

And at check-in Carnival will rip open a carton of soda to make sure every can is soda and not beer. (And the limit is one12-pack of soda per person.)

And if you purchase alcohol in their on board shop to take home, it is not delivered to your cabin on the last evening so you can pack it. You have to pick it up at a distribution point on the morning of disembarkation.

Thanks everyone. I think I'll go with cans for soda. Might well take a few small bottles of water as well - I can always refill those.

Fortunately we can drive up to Southampton so no need to worry about planes or finding shops nearby.

Thanks everyone. I think I'll go with cans for soda. Might well take a few small bottles of water as well - I can always refill those.

Fortunately we can drive up to Southampton so no need to worry about planes or finding shops nearby.

If I remember correctly, on our last cruise, there were prominent signs posted on the self service water stations at the Horizon Court buffet requesting PAXs not to refill their own empty water bottle or other kind of bottle at the water stations due to PAXs putting the bottle opening directly in contact on the water dispenser spout, for sanitary reasons, and the possibility of transmitting germs to other PAXs using the water stations.

FWIW, we refiill our water bottles from either the ice bucket in our stateroom or from glasses of water served to us by the waitstaff in the Horizon Court or other venues.

You might want to consider that when refilling your empty water bottles.

Enjoy your cruise.

If I remember correctly, on our last cruise, there were prominent signs posted on the self service water stations at the Horizon Court buffet requesting PAXs not to refill their own empty water bottle or other kind of bottle at the water stations due to PAXs putting the bottle opening directly in contact on the water dispenser spout, for sanitary reasons, and the possibility of transmitting germs to other PAXs using the water stations.

FWIW, we refiill our water bottles from either the ice bucket in our stateroom or from glasses of water served to us by the waitstaff in the Horizon Court or other venues.

You might want to consider that when refilling your empty water bottles.

Enjoy your cruise.

Correct. But you can put water into a clean glass from the buffet area and then pour it into your bottle.

Correct. But you can put water into a clean glass from the buffet area and then pour it into your bottle.

Correct. But I’m too lazy and fat to get up from my chair to go to the water station and fill up a glass or two of water. ;)

Now, I just let the HC waitstaff bring me water to my table, and fill up the empty water bottle. :)

Edited by Kingofcool1947

I wish people would do that. I'm sure a few do' date=' but I've never seen anyone. Most put their used, unclean bottle right up on the spigot for water. Grosses me out. :o I always wonder how many of those bottles have been washed in very hot, soapy water and dried with a [i']clean[/i] towel?

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry, just one more question (for now!) on the soda front.

We have bought 2 packs of coke (10 cans per pack) and a six pack of cloudy lemonade (Its a UK thing I think. Lemonade in the UK is very different to Lemonade in the US). If I put these inside one of my checked suitcases would it create a problem (other than if one splits of course)? Just wondering whether Princess security would want to see the cases opened up so they can look at the cans?

The packs aren't really big enough to have their own label.

Thanks

I woud wrap together in one package and label- is what I have been told to do but I am taking a lot more cans than that - family of diet coke addicts and from reading threads on here the fountain sodas on board seems to be universally criticised.