Half Moon Cay, Tendering and Mobility Impaired

Scrufsmom

Just found out that Half Moon Cay is tendering not docking port. How does Carnival handle those people who are either handicapped or impaired thus needing assistance? My husband is mobility impaired and requires a scooter. I know from past experiences that staff is not allowed to assist. Can anyone give me insight for this port since we are booked and wanting to take part of activities on shore. TIA

I can't answer your question but think you need to specify which ship you are on. Half Moon Cay uses big island based tenders and there should be no problem on the shore side but the approach to the tender hatch may vary by ship. When I was there (HAL Prinsendam) I think there was also a gangway between the ship and the tender but still a few steps to the tender platform. Your experience may vary based on the ship (or class) you are sailing.

Roy

Never been to HMC, but we have been to Grand Cayman. My mother uses a scooter and, unfortunately, she was not able to get off at that port.

Unless he can walk a bit, and you can physically, without assistance from ship staff, pick up the scooter, I don't think you will able to get off at HMC.

We were just in Half Moon Cay in March.

It was really windy the day we were there, and the mobility impaired person that was with us had to take her walker, not her scooter.

Click on this link and see the “Mobility Limitations” section.

https://www.carnival.com/about-carnival/special-needs.aspx

If you need any additional information, call the Special Needs department. You can find the number by clicking on the above link; it’s in the Customer Service section.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thank you all for your insights. We are traveling on Carnival Liberty and now I think we have made a BIG mistake. The hubs can go up/down steps (very limited), but for long distances he needs his scooter. Might have to rethink this as we literally just changed our itinerary and never thought about it NOT being a docked port. Ugh Maybe I need to search for a transport wheelchair to bring along as well. What planning!

We just got back from a trip to Half Moon Cay. We had a person in our party who had a scooter. The scooter was not allowed on tender. You would need a wheelchair and they need some mobility to get on and off the tender.

There have been times when we have been at Half Moon Cay (on HAL), that the tenders were running but anyone with mobility issues were restricted to the ship because of tide or water conditions.

Once on the island, HAL has the following information on its website:

• A handicapped-accessible 25-passenger tram runs continuously on a separate path between theWelcome Center and the Tropics Restaurant and provides an alternative way of getting around.Wheelchairs with umbrellas and balloon tires made for use on the sand are available. There is alsoa paved pathway that allows guests in wheelchairs to easily navigate the main public areas.

I've been to HMC once where someone had a scooter. The person had to walk with some assistance, maybe 15' from the side of the ship, across the ramp, then down 5/6 steps to the seating area. The scooter was rolled/manhandled by some crew members onto the tender where it was secured on the boarding/transfer deck.

Alas, I did not see the arrangements at HMC for this person's arrival...

Finally, the ship-to-tender and the tender-to-ship transfer occasionally requires timing a quick hop to coincide with the ever-present swells. While crew members are very helpful with lending assistance, it does require a bit of physical dexterity.

Good luck!

I am surprised to read these replies because the tenders at HMC are HC accessible. You roll onto the upper level, and there is a ramp at the rear to the lower level, and then you roll up the ramp at the front to get off. Process is reversed when returning to the ship. I can only think that they might not have been using the island tenders (this can happen when HAL has two ships there the dame day) or the water was a little too rough for safe transfer. This is the local tender and you can see the ramp at the aft:

enhance

enhance

enhance

As noted in my post, there are times that those that have mobility issues will not be allowed to tender to Half Moon Cay.

And when they are allowed to tender, they must have sufficient strength and mobility to board the tender and maneuver stairs.

One of our half moon excursions took a turn for the worse in the afternoon upon return. VERY rocky when alongside the boarding ramp - it took timing and adequate physical ability to negotiate the ramp between the tender and the open doors of the ship. When the tender rode up on a wave it took the boarding ramp up with it, berg close to the top of the entryway. Someone unaware would have gotten squished. No, seriously. There was a CROWD of carnival staff hand delivering people off the tender onto the deck. A real zoo!!

It seems that from everyone experience the waters off the island seem to be rough no matter what month you sail. We will be sailing in November and I would assume/guess that based on Hurricane forecasts with rocky waters it won't be suitable for us to consider the "scooter" method. Might have to buy or rent a wheelchair and I will push him along the island. Oh well, I truly appreciate all the insights to this small dilemma.

I don't know what activities on Half Moon Cay you don't want to miss out on (mentioned in your OP).

Unless you are beach fanatics, there isn't much to do on the island that is mobility impaired friendly.

Keep in mind that the island was damaged during Hurricane Irma and when I was there in the end of March, the beach area closest to the tender dock was washed away and the walkways and stairs to access the beach in that area were closed.

The BBQ isn't anything to write home about and one can enjoy a much better lunch in the air conditioned comfort of the ship. If drinking and looking at the water is your thing, you can look at the same water and drink from the deck of the ship.

Don't stress about this being "must do" port and enjoy a quiet day on the ship.