Power strip heads up

I was Enchantment June 11-15. Security was confiscating all power strips and extension cords. It made no difference if it was grounded or not. It also made no difference if it was cruise approved. They were confiscating them all with no exceptions. Just wanted to give a heads up. I got to go get my bag from security the first day. Had to open my bag, show that was the only power strip I had and hand it over. I was able to get it back at the cruise terminal when we got back. I'm guessing they are cracking down on this since, like I said, they were confiscating all of them with no exceptions.

I was Enchantment June 11-15. Security was confiscating all power strips and extension cords. It made no difference if it was grounded or not. It also made no difference if it was cruise approved. They were confiscating them all with no exceptions. Just wanted to give a heads up. I got to go get my bag from security the first day. Had to open my bag, show that was the only power strip I had and hand it over. I was able to get it back at the cruise terminal when we got back. I'm guessing they are cracking down on this since, like I said, they were confiscating all of them with no exceptions.

Thanks for sharing. We never take one but good to know. I'd be surprised if that was the case at every embarkation port. Welcome to CC.

I have not cruised for going on 2 years and I keep seeing the the extension cord policy has changed. But I am still confused as to what is ok to take onboard. I do not want to spend cruise time going to the naughty room! :)

What I have used in the past on cruises in the

Belkin BZ103050-TVL Mini Surge Protector with USB Charger - 1 AMP

Here's the amazon link to it

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0015DYMVO/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Will this be ok to take? If not, what is ok?

Thanks

We saw the same thing happening on the Liberty June 10-17 (2018). Our USB only power banks made it through but any type of power strip, surge or not, was confiscated. (We were sent to the naughty room for wine and hiking poles, both of which are allowed.)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I have taken that exact one and never been confiscated. However, I found a smaller one with Smart IQ, more USB ports, but no 120V. It charges very fast so frees up the 120V plugs for other stuff. Since most stuff we plug in is USB that's the most important part.

https://smile.amazon.com/Anker-Charger-Foldable-PowerPort-Samsung/dp/B00VH8G1SY/ref=sr_1_12?s=wireless&ie=UTF8&qid=1529529471&sr=1-12&keywords=anker+charger

According to this thread, and the other one linked in it, RCI is not allowing any power strips or extension cords:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2647531

While the Belkin Mini does tend to "get through" security due to its shape, it is surge protected, and is the real reason that cruise lines have cracked down on power strips. Apparently, a "pure" USB multi-port charger (no 120v outlets) are allowed.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ATZJ5YS/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This is what we take, and it was not conifscated on our Majesty cruise out of Tampa that returned this morning.

That is surge protected and should not be taken on any cruise ship whether you get away with it or not.

I was just commenting that I had a different experience out of a different port, in the very recent past. Thanks though.

You just didn’t get caught. Probably because it is small and not obvious on the X-ray. Had you asked about it you would have been told no. So, you didn’t really have a different experience, you just got “lucky”and put a ship full of people in danger because you didn’t feel you needed to follow the rules.

I was just commenting that I had a different experience out of a different port, in the very recent past. Thanks though.

I bought one of these

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B078M32R41/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Haven't taken it on a cruise yet but it should be safe and convenient. I can plug it into the Euro outlet, saving the US 3 prong outlet(s), and charge various usb devices.

You just didn’t get caught. Probably because it is small and not obvious on the X-ray. Had you asked about it you would have been told no. So, you didn’t really have a different experience, you just got “lucky”and put a ship full of people in danger because you didn’t feel you needed to follow the rules.

First of all, I didn't realize that the rules had changed...I have taken that on every cruise I've been on, and had no issues. I literally was just commenting that I got off a ship this morning, and what I took was not taken. Seeing as it is just now being shared on here, I would venture to guess that there are a lot of people taking them on the ship without realizing they shouldn't have them.

I didn't ask about it, becuase it has never been an issue before. If it got through becuase it's so small, then they need to look into how they're scanning things.

Finally, I resent your passing judgement of me. Your final sentence is insulting at best. You do not know me, nor how I operate. To accuse me of thinking I'm above the rules is insulting and pathetic.

I bought one of these

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B078M32R41/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Haven't taken it on a cruise yet but it should be safe and convenient. I can plug it into the Euro outlet, saving the US 3 prong outlet(s), and charge various usb devices.

Thanks for the link. I'll look into it for our next cruise in a few weeks.

First of all, I didn't realize that the rules had changed...I have taken that on every cruise I've been on, and had no issues. I literally was just commenting that I got off a ship this morning, and what I took was not taken. Seeing as it is just now being shared on here, I would venture to guess that there are a lot of people taking them on the ship without realizing they shouldn't have them.

I didn't ask about it, becuase it has never been an issue before. If it got through becuase it's so small, then they need to look into how they're scanning things.

Finally, I resent your passing judgement of me. Your final sentence is insulting at best. You do not know me, nor how I operate. To accuse me of thinking I'm above the rules is insulting and pathetic.

The “no surge protector” is not a new rule the rules for that are pretty clearly stated in the paperwork that you sign to get your Set Sail pass.

The “no surge protector” is not a new rule the rules for that are pretty clearly stated in the paperwork that you sign to get your Set Sail pass.

What I've brought on board was recommended by a well respected member on this site, and based on their extensive knowledge, I assumed it was within the guidelines. I have seen it used as an example of what to bring on several other sites as well. Apparently they were incorrect in recommending it, and me for not checking it.

We brought this last week and it was fine:

Photive 60 Watt 6 Port USB Rapid Desktop Charging Station. Smart USB Wall Charger with Auto Detect Technology. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00LMIA9L4/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_VtTkBb9X22131

On our way off the ship we saw a table full of irons and power strips.

e6007bd7d63aea6447483d64122157f9.jpg

What I've brought on board was recommended by a well respected member on this site, and based on their extensive knowledge, I assumed it was within the guidelines. I have seen it used as an example of what to bring on several other sites as well. Apparently they were incorrect in recommending it, and me for not checking it.

Well that sucks because the rules clearly say “No Surge Protector” and the description of the item you linked very clearly states that it is a surge protector. So looks like a random internet stranger gave you bad advice.

We brought this last week and it was fine:

Photive 60 Watt 6 Port USB Rapid Desktop Charging Station. Smart USB Wall Charger with Auto Detect Technology. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00LMIA9L4/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_VtTkBb9X22131

On our way off the ship we saw a table full of irons and power strips.

e6007bd7d63aea6447483d64122157f9.jpg

Thank you for the link.