Power strip heads up

What I've brought on board was recommended by a well respected member on this site, and based on their extensive knowledge, I assumed it was within the guidelines. I have seen it used as an example of what to bring on several other sites as well. Apparently they were incorrect in recommending it, and me for not checking it.

If your curious as to why they're not allowed, and perhaps why people get upset about others using them you can read this US Coast Guard Marine Safety Alert.

Which I have just been made aware of. Just sharing my experience.

I was in the as boat. I tried to help someone and recommended that type. All hell rained down on me. I have 2 of them. But the other day I was told just how DANGEROUS these are on a ship. I googled it even though people said DONT use them. They are a fire hazard.

I was in the as boat. I tried to help someone and recommended that type. All hell rained down on me. I have 2 of them. But the other day I was told just how DANGEROUS these are on a ship. I googled it even though people said DONT use them. They are a fire hazard.

I've been accused of thinking I am above the rules on another thread. Based on the information I was given on this site and others, that specific one was within the guidelines. Obviously the information was incorrect. 12 cruises and never conficated. While I will fully own that I was unknowingly in the wrong, that's a huge problem on Royal's part as well. On one cruise we forgot to take our travel iron out of our bag, and it was sent to the naughty room. It stays in a Crown Royal bag with the power strip. They watched me take the strip out of the CR bag and toss it in my open suitcase and said nothing. Consistently inconsistent is one thing, but come on.

If your curious as to why they're not allowed, and perhaps why people get upset about others using them you can read this US Coast Guard Marine Safety Alert.

It's not even the why for me. If they're not allowed, they're not allowed. Based on all of the information I had been given, that specific one was allowed. I'll 100% own that I was unknowingly in the wrong. However, on one cruise we forgot to take our travel iron out of our bag, and it was sent to the naughty room. It stays in a Crown Royal bag with the power strip. They watched me take the strip out of the CR bag and toss it in my open suitcase and said nothing. Consistently inconsistent is one thing, but come on.

I wasn't trying to get everyone riled up. Just wanted to give a heads up that they seem to be cracking down on this. My husband has several multi USB port cube chargers because he travels extensively that we were able to use. These were not being confiscated at all, just power strips and extension cords. Probably irons as well but I wasn't paying attention to that. In the future, we will just take his charging cubes. Everything we needed to plug in is USB anyway, so now we won't have to worry about it and won't have to waste time with security at the beginning and end of the cruise.

How is one to know when a device is or is not allowed given that amazon descriptions can be wrong and RCI only inconsistently enforces is own rules?

https://smile.amazon.com/Anker-Charger-Foldable-PowerPort-Samsung/dp/B00VH8G1SY/ref=sr_1_12?s=wireless&ie=UTF8&qid=1529529471&sr=1-12&keywords=anker+charger

For example would the device above be allowed?

How is one to know when a device is or is not allowed given that amazon descriptions can be wrong and RCI only inconsistently enforces is own rules?

https://smile.amazon.com/Anker-Charger-Foldable-PowerPort-Samsung/dp/B00VH8G1SY/ref=sr_1_12?s=wireless&ie=UTF8&qid=1529529471&sr=1-12&keywords=anker+charger

Should be allowed, but you never know with RC.

The 5th picture from the top says it has "input current surge protection".

However, it only is a two prong plug as far as I can tell. I didn't think two prong could be surge protected in a harmful way.

I thought the rule was that all 2 prong are ok but not all 3 prong are bad?

Personally, I'd just stay away from anything that said anything about surge protection, 2 prong or not.

The 5th picture from the top says it has "input current surge protection".

However, it only is a two prong plug as far as I can tell. I didn't think two prong could be surge protected in a harmful way.

I thought the rule was that all 2 prong are ok but not all 3 prong are bad?

Personally, I'd just stay away from anything that said anything about surge protection, 2 prong or not.

Were just had our Alaska cruise on the Explorer OTS 2 weeks ago and 2 power cubes one for each cabin.. no issues.

Amazon link:

JSVER Compact Cube Smart Power Strip with 3 USB Charging Station, 3 Power Outlet and 4.92Ft Cable, Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B072PT17X3?ref=yo_pop_ma_swf

Sent from my SM-G930V using Forums mobile app

So, if you have multiple medical devices to plug in, what do you do? My husband has a cpap and also a min-cooler for his insulin. We know medical fridges can be placed in the cabins, but based on a recent bad experience, we'd rather bring our own.

I wonder if the power cube that stumpmr posted above will work? We need two devices that will both be running simultaneously over night.

So, if you have multiple medical devices to plug in, what do you do? My husband has a cpap and also a min-cooler for his insulin. We know medical fridges can be placed in the cabins, but based on a recent bad experience, we'd rather bring our own.

I wonder if the power cube that stumpmr posted above will work? We need two devices that will both be running simultaneously over night.

The stateroom attendant can provide approved extension cords with multiple receptacles..

Thanks for the link for the Smart IQ. It looks great! I definitely don't want to take something that could be dangerous to the ship, even though it might not get confiscated

I have taken that exact one and never been confiscated. However, I found a smaller one with Smart IQ, more USB ports, but no 120V. It charges very fast so frees up the 120V plugs for other stuff. Since most stuff we plug in is USB that's the most important part.

According to this thread, and the other one linked in it, RCI is not allowing any power strips or extension cords:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2647531

While the Belkin Mini does tend to "get through" security due to its shape, it is surge protected, and is the real reason that cruise lines have cracked down on power strips. Apparently, a "pure" USB multi-port charger (no 120v outlets) are allowed.

Interesting - good to know.

Hi

I require a surge protector, not so much on board ship but later as we are traveling through the US and Canada for another six weeks, we carry computers, tablets and mobile as both the boss and I need to log on to work while traveling.

If we bring our very expensive board are they held till we disembark or what?

Sent from my SM-N950N using Forums mobile app

Hi

I require a surge protector, not so much on board ship but later as we are traveling through the US and Canada for another six weeks, we carry computers, tablets and mobile as both the boss and I need to log on to work while traveling.

If we bring our very expensive board are they held till we disembark or what?

Sent from my SM-N950N using Forums mobile app

Yes, at disembarkation there will be a table (tables?) full of confiscated items to be picked up.

That is surge protected and should not be taken on any cruise ship whether you get away with it or not.
Completely agree!

It only takes one sneak-it-on to spoil the soup for everyone. Lol, we could care less about phones while Cruisin, we do use USB chargers(((NOT surge protected))) for our video cameras. Rules are in place for a good reason. We all pay good money to cruise. The lines ALL do their best for us to have not only an enjoyable time, but a safe time. #FollowTheRules [emoji654]️our motto[emoji16]

[emoji924]️ Cruisin Trkrs [emoji597]

Which I have just been made aware of. Just sharing my experience.
No surge protectors on ships has been the Rule for quite a few years now. Fire is a very dangerous risk on a ship. As you stated, you were not aware of it. I'm thankful that you are now. No need to get the ole feathers ruffled [emoji3]... Life's short, Cruise on.

[emoji924]️ Cruisin Trkrs [emoji597]

I never had an issue on a single Princess Cruise. Carnival on the other hand confiscated anything that looked like a power strip. And then the steward brought me a power strip that was nowhere near as sophisticated as the one I brought. Go figure.

Semper fi,

Jim

I never had an issue on a single Princess Cruise. Carnival on the other hand confiscated anything that looked like a power strip. And then the steward brought me a power strip that was nowhere near as sophisticated as the one I brought. Go figure.

Semper fi,

Jim

That's because, just like in the Corps, simple is better. Sophisticated can be dangerous.

• 2 weeks later...

I just wanted to let everyone know. That we just returned from a 7 day aboard allure an we had brought a power strip along like we had tlthe last 3 cruises we've been on but this time they confiscated our power strip until we left. When we left the cruise they had a table set up with all of the prohibited items they confiscated from other passengers. On the table there were a lot of power strips along with electric irons and steamers. This may be old news to you all but I along with many other passengers were unaware of this change.