OWB Moorea suggestions

gannyvan

Planning a cruise in March 2014. 2 couples want to stay on Moorea for a couple of days post cruise in an over water bungalow. Any suggestions, information on locations, and reviews would be appreciated. We plan to take the ferry that has been suggested from Papeete to Moorea. We thought this would be a great way to end the trip in paradise.

Planning a cruise in March 2014. 2 couples want to stay on Moorea for a couple of days post cruise in an over water bungalow. Any suggestions, information on locations, and reviews would be appreciated. We plan to take the ferry that has been suggested from Papeete to Moorea. We thought this would be a great way to end the trip in paradise.

Hilton Moorea has wonderful OWB's. We stayed there two years ago. They are expensive, but so worth the price for a once in a lifetime adventure. I agree it will be a great way to end a trip in paradise.

Hilton & Sofitel have the best IMO. Sofitel has better sunrise, Hilton better sunset. Both have good snorkeling with maybe a slight edge to the Hilton.

IC only has 4 rooms that are fully over water (rooms 510, 511, 512 & 514) but none of them have stellar views, snorkeling is so so

Pearl Beach has the best bang for the buck but can feel a bit cramped.

Best OWB rooms with great views

Sofitel: They are superior OWB & luxuary OWB

Hilton: 105, 107, 109

IC: 612, 614 (good sunset views but only partially over water)

Pearl: 418, 426 & 410

Edited by Tikiintahiti

We're working on finding an OWB now that we are booked on cruise. Thanks so much for the helpful information. I have been printing reviews and suggestions for private tour guides on all the islands. Ordered and have received our masks and snorkels and fins for the trip. Tkkiintahiti- thanks for all the critiques I have read about tour guides that you have given throughout the ports of call. Also the restaurant suggestions and pictures, I'm counting down to Tahiti. Thanks again everyone !

Linda

• 2 weeks later...

We just got back from our 5 week trip/cruise to French Polynesia and South Pacific. We'd spent 5 nights at the Sofitel in Moorea pre-cruise and also visited the Pearl resort and IC while on the island. Of the 3, the Sofitel resort felt the most natural while the IC had great beach facilities like two infinity pools but it was quite busy. The Sofitel is a 30 minute walk from the ferry and yes, I walked it. We did some research before booking our bungalow and requested #218 which was at the end of the walkway facing Tahiti and at night we could see all of Papeete.

The hill on the left is Tahiti. The sunrises were spectacular, I was up at 5:30 every morning running around with my camera. Here's one of my pics.

Sofitel Moorea Ia Ora Beach Resort, French Polynesia

13_moorea2.jpg

Hilton & Sofitel have the best IMO. Sofitel has better sunrise, Hilton better sunset. Both have good snorkeling with maybe a slight edge to the Hilton.

IC only has 4 rooms that are fully over water (rooms 510, 511, 512 & 514) but none of them have stellar views, snorkeling is so so

Pearl Beach has the best bang for the buck but can feel a bit cramped.

Best OWB rooms with great views

Sofitel: They are superior OWB & luxuary OWB

Hilton: 105, 107, 109

IC: 612, 614 (good sunset views but only partially over water)

Pearl: 418, 426 & 410

Tikiintahiti,

Thanks so much for the great info! I'm looking for a nice OWB for Aril 2014 and am leaning to the Hilton. You mention that the best views are 105,107,109. I presume this is becasue they face west and have unobstructed views of the sunsets. On the map of the bugalows (http://www3.hilton.com/resources/media/hi/PPTMLHI/en_US/pdf/en_PPTMLHI_LAYOUT_Mar_2013.pdf) I notice that there is a "pontoon" on the shore to left of those bungalows. Is there a lot of water traffic coming to and going from the resort... jet skis, boats, kayaks and so on? I'm not sure I would want people constantly passing by my deck all day long.

Thanks for your help!!

Edited by jpthomas27

• 3 months later...
There was very little boat traffic. There is some traffic out towards the reef from boats that pass by heading to and from the motus but not much.

Hi Tikiintahiti,

We just booked our FP cruise for April 2014 on Marina, Papette-Papeete. We arrive into Papeete early in morning, like 5:30A. We are planning 3 pre-cruise nights to relax and get over jet lag in Moorea and 1 post cruise day/night in Papeete before flying back to LAX. Hope to take Ferry on morning arrival in Papeete to Moorea. Is this feasible with such an early morning arrival? How do we get from airport to where Ferry's depart with our luggage? I know from reading your postings that we will likely book our pre cruise nights at either the Hilton or Soffitel in hopefully an OWB ..... if I can talk Hubby into the prices. This will be our 1st trip to FP, can you advise on ease of taking morning Ferry to Moorea and then transport to Hotel. I know you like both Hotels, which would be best for the OWB, views including mountains, water, beaches and snorkeling too. Alot of questions but trying to get started with planning this great trip and you seem to be the expert on FP. Thanks in advance :)

Take taxi to ferry dock for about $20 bucks USD

http://www.aremiti.net/

Book transport from ferry dock to hotel

www.toreanui.com or http://www.albert-transport.net/p3_gb.asp

Hotel

Sofitel - sunrise, view of Tahiti, best beach

Hilton - sunsets, better snorkeling

Both have nice rooms, both are a bit isolated, however ...

http://idx-images.cisdata.net/acnt/images/708/AR408708/file_manager/Cheap_eats_close_to_the_Moorea_Hilton.pdf

Hilton map

Sofitel map

Moorea map - suggestions

More cheap eats around Moorea

A very good choice when buying jewelry on Moorea

Good place to by vanilla

Edited by Tikiintahiti

Just for clarity. We arrived on the early morning flight, getting in to Tahiti early at about 4:30 am from LAX. We also wanted to go to Moorea as we were staying at the Hilton. We were first off the plane in business class which meant that by 5:00 am we had cleared customs and could have left the airport. A few shops were open at that time. BTW, this was in late June of 2013. We sat at the airport until about 6:15 and then took a taxi to the ferry. If you take a taxi before 6:00 am there is a 1,000 xpf surcharge. I didn't see the logic in going that early as I didn't think there would be anything to do at the ferry terminal.

I believe our ferry was at 7:45. On some days there might be one earlier but you would need to check. The ferry office was open and we then had a danish at the small shop upstairs at the ferry area. When we arrived in Moorea we have arranged transport for the ride to the Hilton. While the room was not ready they do have a day room that you can use for 30 minutes at no charge. It is a full sized room with shower, etc. This let us get cleaned up and into bathing suits for the day.

Thanks for the info from all. Any suggestions on options with such an early morning flight arrival? We plan to take the morning Ferry to Moorea but I am sure no matter where we book our Hotel, no one will have a OWB ready for our check in prior to afternoon.

Does Soffitel offer the same courtesy room for changing at their Hotel while awaiting OWB to be ready?

Still deciding about Hilton vs Soffitel, can Tikiintahoti comment which Hotel is closer (walking distance) to local restaurants, grocery stores etc. for meals? Prices I know will be very high at the Hotel restaurants and reviews for the expensive Hotel food quality I have read on Trip Advisor are pretty poor....

How easy is it to have local area restaurants pick us up at Hotel and return us for Dinner meals or do we taxi to restaurant?

I am esp. interested in option for Breakfast/Coffee in morning other then Hotel. Morning coffee a necessity... :) Thanks!

As mentioned above neither are close to a bunch of stuff though Hilton has a few options.

http://idx-images.cisdata.net/acnt/images/708/AR408708/file_manager/Cheap_eats_close_to_the_Moorea_Hilton.pdf

On the link the Lilikoi café is right across the street and is very good, reasonable for breakfast, free WiFi : ) The French young gal is a sweetie, goods well and you are basically enjoying breakfast in her yard.

Over half the time I've gone hotels have had a room for us in the morning ...

Edited by Tikiintahiti

I was also considering the Hilton. My problem is that we have a very early flight out of PPT and would need to be at the airport BY 5:00am. The earliest ferry from Moorea won't work for us (7:35). I see only late flights too, so I guess this means we have to stay on Tahiti instead. :(

Many of us have had to stay on Tahiti due to flight schedules. A few weeks ago we stayed at Fare Suisse which on Tahiti which was great. Free pick up from the airport or ferry and free drop off the next day to the airport or ferry saves a lot of $$. Rate was 85 Euros for the night. They are also in easy walking distance to the waterfront when the food trucks set up each night. Bring a small flashlight as the one block when leaving or returning to the property is pitch black.

In order to save some $$ if you are staying at the Hilton open up a HHonors credit card that will give you automatic Gold status. Gold gets free continental breakfast for 2 each day vs. paying $35 per person for it. You also get wireless internet for free in the unit vs. free internet in the lobby.

We want to stay in Moorea 3 nights before a cruise in March. We really do not want to stay a a large resort Hotel. We saw an ad for Bali Hai and are interested if anyone has any information or has stayed there. We are open for other suggestions in Moorea.

The original Bali Hai is no longer, it was replaced by the Pearl Beach.

There is a "Club Bali Hai" in Cooks Bay.

Reasonable, very plain, 2 star type of place with A/C/ Pretty view location, restaurant is reasonable, caters to Americans, not the best swim/snorkel location.

I've been there several times over the years.

Another place to consider with outstanding location, great views, good eats plus the snorkeling is good in Les Tipaniers.

As mentioned above neither are close to a bunch of stuff though Hilton has a few options.

On the link the Lilikoi café is right across the street and is very good, reasonable for breakfast, free WiFi : ) The French young gal is a sweetie, goods well and you are basically enjoying breakfast in her yard.

Over half the time I've gone hotels have had a room for us in the morning ...

Tiki, Thanks for the cheap eats. Other then Lilikol Cafe, are any of the other cheap eats within walking distance of either the Hilton or Soffitel? Are these cheap eats open all day or only in the evening.

Any small grocery stores nearby to get soda, beer, wine or bottled water for our Hotel room?

Many of us have had to stay on Tahiti due to flight schedules. A few weeks ago we stayed at Fare Suisse which on Tahiti which was great. Free pick up from the airport or ferry and free drop off the next day to the airport or ferry saves a lot of $$. Rate was 85 Euros for the night. They are also in easy walking distance to the waterfront when the food trucks set up each night. Bring a small flashlight as the one block when leaving or returning to the property is pitch black.

In order to save some $$ if you are staying at the Hilton open up a HHonors credit card that will give you automatic Gold status. Gold gets free continental breakfast for 2 each day vs. paying $35 per person for it. You also get wireless internet for free in the unit vs. free internet in the lobby.

We have a Gold Hilton Honors Card, are you saying just by booking our Hotel stay in Moorea with the card , we will get free breakfast and internet in the OWB's? We do not have enough points for a free night at the Hilton unfortunately :(

Read the link, it's all there

http://idx-images.cisdata.net/acnt/i...rea_Hilton.pdf

No close food store for either place. About 2 mile walk for food store.

No cafes close to the Sofitel.

Some of the restaurants will do PU but they are the expensive ones.

Edited by Tikiintahiti

The original Bali Hai is no longer, it was replaced by the Pearl Beach.

There is a "Club Bali Hai" in Cooks Bay.

Reasonable, very plain, 2 star type of place with A/C/ Pretty view location, restaurant is reasonable, caters to Americans, not the best swim/snorkel location.

I've been there several times over the years.

Another place to consider with outstanding location, great views, good eats plus the snorkeling is good in Les Tipaniers.

Thank you so much. Les Tipaniers is exactly what we were looking for. I have already contacted them and reserved a beach bungalow. Now I just need to figure out how to get there and plan excursions.

We have a Gold Hilton Honors Card, are you saying just by booking our Hotel stay in Moorea with the card , we will get free breakfast and internet in the OWB's? We do not have enough points for a free night at the Hilton unfortunately :(

I'm also very interested in this as we have just booked an OWB at the Hilton for September 2014 and would love to receive free breakfast each day. Let us know details.

This is one of my favorite little places. Beach café is very good and reasonable, great location to kick back, suck down a cold one and enjoy the outstanding views of the motus.

Close to Le Petite Village for other things, boat shuttle over to the motus, excellent snorkeling between the 2.

• 8 months later...

Tiki -

We're booked at Le Meridien Tahiti in OWB for 3 nts pre-cruise. We're after beauty, quiet, and relaxation. After reading some recent Trip Advisor reviews I am re-thinking things.

We will arrive at 10pm so we can't go to Moorea that night so would have to stay 1 nt Papeete then transfer to Moorea then back to Papeete for cruise. That means we'd convert 1 "OWB relax day" to be "check out-transfer-check in then check out-transfer" days.

Are the Le Meridien Tahiti and their OWBs nice for a quality 3-day stay? Are the extra hassles to do Moorea for a day less worth it?

Thanks! Brian

We just got back from our fabulous Tahitian Cruise round trip Papeete in April. We arrived in Papeete @ 5A and had reserved 3 pre-cruise nights at the Hilton Moorea. We took the Terraveau Ferry to Moorea and were at our Hotel by 8:30 am, very tired from the long flight.

The Hilton Moorea OWB's were wonderful!! Snorkeling was terrific and service outstanding. Our Bungalow request was honored and we were in our Bungalow by mid day. They have a Hospitality Room for changing, showering etc. while you are waiting for your Hotel Room to be ready. As tired as we were, we got into our swim suits and enjoyed the water and a nice Lunch pool side.

Our 3 nights there will always be memorable, beautiful sunsets and sunrises. They offered us a late check out on embarkation day as we are Hilton Honors Gold Club members so we technically could have had more time at resort but we checked out for 11:30a and arranged transport to Ferry dock with Albert's transfers to catch the 12:40P Terraveau to Papeete. Our ship, the Marina was walking distance from Ferry with our luggage.

IMO, pre or post cruise time in Moorea is well worth it and we would definitely go back to the Hilton.

We only ate breakfast there and had Dinners outside of Hotel. Better pricing and convenient pick up and return to your Hotel.