Luggage straps or TSA approved luggage locks, yes or no?

LDWtk

I was considering purchasing luggage straps to help identify my bags at the airport and on the cruise. Also reviewed luggage locks and there is one that attaches to the handle and the zipper. Has anyone used either? Are they worth purchasing? Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

In terms of theft, straps may not seem as secure as locks -but it's easier for a perp to look for other luggage that's quicker to open.

Straps also help to hold the thing together in the even of damage to zips etc.

And no silly little key to lose, plus your luggage is easier to spot in the luggage jungle.

Just MHO

JB :)

I was considering purchasing luggage straps to help identify my bags at the airport and on the cruise. Also reviewed luggage locks and there is one that attaches to the handle and the zipper. Has anyone used either? Are they worth purchasing? Thank you!

We use colored straps to make our suitcases more easily identifiable and also to keep suitcase closed.

Our valuables are in our carryons so we never bother locking the checked bags.

We do use TSA Approved Locks.

We know that someone could break them off if they wanted to. However, given a choice of opening up the bag with the locks and one without most will choose the one without locks.

We do this when we fly, when we check in the bags at the port and the night we place the luggage outside our room before disembarkation day.

We don't place valuables in our luggage, however we wouldn't want many of our items taken.

We put ribbons on the handle of each piece of luggage to make it easily identifiable.

Keith

We got luggage with TSA locks built in. I don’t pack valuables, however, I like the idea that my luggage cannot be opened by just anyone handling it.

We don’t have straps. We purchased some neon yellow bag tags. We’ve never had trouble identifying our bags.

Neither

Been traveling international for business for 20 years.

Never had anything stolen, never had lost luggage more than a few hours.

If someone wants your stuff, no lock is going to stop them.

Straps or some method to quickly identify your luggage? Be our guest.

I just use colored zip ties to secure/lock the luggage. When flying as well as when giving to porters for loading on/off the ship. Keeps it from accidentally opening and thieves of opportunity out.

The TSA locks won’t stop anyone, I’ll bet you can find master keys on eBay...

Only one time has a checked bag been inspected and they actually zip tied it back shut but left their inspection note on the inside.

I keep nail clippers in my carry on to cut them off.

As far as identifying my bags, I’ve used straps, unusual custom tags on the handle, as well as a big strip of colored masking tape as a stripe on the bag itself.

It's trivial to open most zipped suitcases with TSA locks. You don't have to do anything to the lock and it isn't apparent from the outside that anything was done.

You can see videos on YouTube but essentially you jam a ballpoint pen into the zipper and it just comes apart. When you're done you run the pair of zippers back across and it closes back again.

I haven't done it but I've seen enough to be aware of what the lock does and doesn't do.

It's trivial to open most zipped suitcases with TSA locks. You don't have to do anything to the lock and it isn't apparent from the outside that anything was done.

You can see videos on YouTube but essentially you jam a ballpoint pen into the zipper and it just comes apart. When you're done you run the pair of zippers back across and it closes back again.

I haven't done it but I've seen enough to be aware of what the lock does and doesn't do.

The OP referred to a lock that has a secondary loop which is secured to the handle; this prevents the two zipper parts from moving. While the ballpoint pen method can unzip, the zipper can't be rezipped; too late, but you'll know something is wrong when you see your bag.

The OP referred to a lock that has a secondary loop which is secured to the handle; this prevents the two zipper parts from moving. While the ballpoint pen method can unzip, the zipper can't be rezipped; too late, but you'll know something is wrong when you see your bag.

Correct, we were looking at the locks with 2 loops. The top loop hooks around the handle and the bottom of the lock has a loop that goes through the zipper. So anyone that uses the ballpoint pen technique can not Re zip the suitcase since it’s strapped onto the luggage handle. It doesn’t prevent theft but maybe it’s a deterrent?

I've used brightly colored luggage straps to help identify our cases as they drop onto the airport carousel - some times minus the straps. For the past few years I have used mini cable ties in various colors to "secure" the zippers - last flight [PHX to BOS] I noticed the zip tie was white, not my usual hot pink or neon. When I opened the luggage, I found note from the TSA that they had opened the case....hope they liked the dirty laundry, that's all I had in it.

In all the years of flying/cruising we've only "lost" one item. A mini travel alarm clock was missing from checked luggage, no TSA note, either.

I now wrap the luggage handles with brightly colored plastic tape - it gives a sense of uniqueness to our otherwise blah Tumi & Travel Pro luggage so other passengers don't mistakenly pick up ours in their haste to claim luggage.

Darcy

I had an airline totally wreck a suitcase zipper (one of the tabs caught on something and got deformed) so I bought a strap that goes around both the short and long edges (maybe they all do that).

I put brightly coloured duct tape on all my luggage; it makes it easier to find at the air port and the cruise terminal. The airport that I fly out of frowns on ribbon or pompoms being tied to the handles, and will ask for them to be removed.

I do not use locks, but do use jip ties to secure the suitcases.

I use luggage straps whether we fly to the port of departure or not. TSA approved locks are great when flying but for embarkation for checked luggage, I remove them and leave them unlocked but put a colorful plastic security seal so I know if the case has been opened. I also have this little gadget for my big purse that I lug on top of my carry-on.

https://www.amazon.com/ONLINER-Bungee-Luggage-Suitcase-Adjustable/dp/B074XM6JQQ/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1512834065&sr=8-2-spons&keywords=Luggage+bungee+for+carry+on&psc=1

Saw a video on how easy it is to open zippered luggage, even locked, with just a ball point pen! I bought hard sided luggage with seams and a built in lock. I've had zippers wears out on the corners, start to unravel, locks go missing, etc.

Seamed hard sided luggage is it for me now. I don't put valuable in my suitcase ever, but still would rather not have people poking around in my stuff. I have previously put costume jewelry in my zippered suitcase when traveling, one less thing for my already overstuffed purse, and returned home to find single earrings missing! Some of my favorite pairs too! :(

Also use ribbons, brightly colored or really different luggage tags on the handles to make it easier to spot.