doctor's letter for meds coming into Australia

Am arriving by plane in Sydney in Feb. 2018 to catch a cruise and would like to know if a doctor's letter saying what prescription medications I am needing and what they are for is necessary. I have read conflicting reports on CC and so not sure whether to obtain a letter from my doctor or not. The prescription meds will be in their original containers from the pharmacy. I also usually pack an emerg medical kit with over the counter pills to help with pain, colds or other minor ailments and since some containers are large, I usually put the pills into a smaller container as I don't need as many as what comes in a package. Will this be a problem to bring through security at Sydney airport or should I plan on buying what I might need when I get to Australia?

Any opinions would be helpful and thanks in advance.

Barb

Hi Barb

Some people like the belts and braces approach to ensure everything is looked after. The official wording referred to a doctor letter or copy prescriptions.

The addition of the letter can help because brand names differ between countries, or some drugs are not normally available in Oz.

The rules: http://www.border.gov.au/Trav/Ente/Brin/Can-I-bring-it-back/Can-I-Bring-It-Back-Medicine/Can-I-Bring-Medicine-Back

Bringing the other meds should be okay, but make sure everything is clearly labelled.

Remember to declare everything when entering.

Enjoy.

Thanks for the advice and tips and the website to check out. Better to be safe than sorry. We watch a lot of the Border Security Australia and know how strict they are regarding drugs coming into the country. Both my husband and I are on high blood pressure meds and cholesterol meds - not uncommon for seniors. Our age is also why I tend to carry muscle relaxants (doctor's prescription) as well as a general antibiotic and prescription pain relief. You never know at our age, with all our aches and pains (LOL).

Barb

Thanks for the advice and tips and the website to check out. Better to be safe than sorry. We watch a lot of the Border Security Australia and know how strict they are regarding drugs coming into the country. Both my husband and I are on high blood pressure meds and cholesterol meds - not uncommon for seniors. Our age is also why I tend to carry muscle relaxants (doctor's prescription) as well as a general antibiotic and prescription pain relief. You never know at our age, with all our aches and pains (LOL).

Barb

Better to be safe than sorry, I am sure that those type drugs would be fine but you never know and at worst, you have the documentation in case you need to replace any of them while here.

Barb

The only ones that are possibly problematic are the muscle relaxants and the pain meds (if they’re the potent ones) but as I said a letter can’t hurt.

And as someone also said “DECLARE”

The only ones that are possibly problematic are the muscle relaxants and the pain meds (if they’re the potent ones) but as I said a letter can’t hurt.

And as someone also said “DECLARE”

A Dr's letter is fine, but I just photocopy my scripts, take them and tablets etc in the box, which has the script label on them with my name, Dr Name and drug description on same.. After many travels, airports and seaports only once ever been checked re medications.:halo:

A Dr's letter is fine, but I just photocopy my scripts, take them and tablets etc in the box, which has the script label on them with my name, Dr Name and drug description on same.. After many travels, airports and seaports only once ever been checked re medications.:halo:

I had some Paracetomol taken once when coming back from Mexico into the US, no big deal, just bought more.

Many long years ago I had some hassles with my Hillbilly heroin. So have been cautious ever since

I went to the US in 2013 after a Kidney Transplant, at the time I was on over 30 tablets a day (including Oxycodone), lots of medication boxes I had to take with me and no one from Australia nor the US on leaving or entering either Country was even remotely interested in my medications. I had all my original packaging in my carry on, 2 dr letters, the scripts and I carried enough for a months visit just in case, I asked both border securities if they wanted to look at my medicines and they said "not interested" then waved me through. I had a lot more 'interaction' from the Miami security than the LAX security.. they thought my small bottle of baby powder was Cocaine :')

I went to the US in 2013 after a Kidney Transplant, at the time I was on over 30 tablets a day (including Oxycodone), lots of medication boxes I had to take with me and no one from Australia nor the US on leaving or entering either Country was even remotely interested in my medications. I had all my original packaging in my carry on, 2 dr letters, the scripts and I carried enough for a months visit just in case, I asked both border securities if they wanted to look at my medicines and they said "not interested" then waved me through. I had a lot more 'interaction' from the Miami security than the LAX security.. they thought my small bottle of baby powder was Cocaine :')

There has been a big crack down on opioids recently. A lot of deaths in the US related to fentanyl and other prescription drugs used for illicit purposes. Often seen as addiction consequent proper medical use.

My sister in law in NY state had cervical spine surgery a month ago. Discharged from hospital without any proper strength pain meds (oxy, etc.) because of this new fear.

Could have posted her some of my leftovers, but we would probably both end up in Guantanamo Bay.

There has been a big crack down on opioids recently. A lot of deaths in the US related to fentanyl and other prescription drugs used for illicit purposes. Often seen as addiction consequent proper medical use.

My sister in law in NY state had cervical spine surgery a month ago. Discharged from hospital without any proper strength pain meds (oxy, etc.) because of this new fear.

Could have posted her some of my leftovers, but we would probably both end up in Guantanamo Bay.

It’s getting crazy the trouble some people are having getting proper pain relief.

It’s getting crazy the trouble some people are having getting proper pain relief.

Next year one has to have a doctors script to get Merysondol. (probably spelt wrong.):)

My feet play up some times, gout, diabetes, arthritis, the trifecta. I take Voltaren 25 if it happens, works ok. The pharmacist gives it to you after a couple of questions. But when I was in the UK a couple of years, ago such meds had to be obtained by Dr's script only. I had better take a truck load over next year.:(

GTO Bay is not a nice place. The orange overalls the guests wear look fancy.:')

Next year one has to have a doctors script to get Merysondol. (probably spelt wrong.):)

My feet play up some times, gout, diabetes, arthritis, the trifecta. I take Voltaren 25 if it happens, works ok. The pharmacist gives it to you after a couple of questions. But when I was in the UK a couple of years, ago such meds had to be obtained by Dr's script only. I had better take a truck load over next year.:(

Crazy isn’t it, a script (so a doctors visit) for panadienne. But then I’ve been on much stronger stuff till the opioid receptors blew out, now off all drugs and really doubt I’ll ever go back on, I was on some string stuff at massive doses probably why I got questioned at customs, at my worst a months supply of Oxy (hillbilly heroin as the yanks call it) was 180 80mg tablets, plus 90 endone, and panadiene forte as a last resort (probably 240 on hand). I guess they had reason to question if it was all for persinal use.

Of course on a cruise I take little or nothing off the ship.

Got all those and a few more.

For the gout cherry or even the juice juice works a treat.

I also usually pack an emerg medical kit with over the counter pills to help with pain, colds or other minor ailments and since some containers are large, I usually put the pills into a smaller container as I don't need as many as what comes in a package. Will this be a problem to bring through security at Sydney airport or should I plan on buying what I might need when I get to Australia?

Barb

Just be aware that over the counter meds will vary from country to country. Even our pain relief has some different components which may not meet your needs.

I'd bring what you need in original packaging or at least print off a data sheet and label the smaller containers.

Dont leave anything to chance as over zealous cowboys can pop up anywhere anytime.

I don't know whether or not the customs people treat overseas passengers any differently to Australians returning home but while I always carry a letter from my doctor I have never been asked to show it or my prescription medications. I think the important thing always is to make sure you DECLARE it. I declare it all the time and usually am just asked if the drugs are for personal medication. They then let me through without further inspection. But as I said earlier I'm not sure if they will treat non-Australians differently. Interestingly I have never been asked to produce the letter overseas either although I have offered to show it.

When visiting Australia I've never had a problem when I declare prescription meds. As above, they confirm with me that the declaration is for personal prescription medication and then happily wave me through. I've never been given the third degree or had any indication that I was wrong to declare the meds. I always have a doctor's letter, just in case, but have never been asked to produce it.

Sent from an app on a phone...

I emailed the border patrol dept and ask vey specific questions regarding prescription meds. If the meds your bringing are on the naughty list you MUST have doctors lettter. For meds like allergy meds you can take the chance but they told me I would be best to get a doctors letter if I am to take any prescription drugs. Playing it safe I am just getting the letter.