Passengers removed from ship for failure to muster

blazeinthesun

Our cabin steward told us we could stay in the cabin.

But we didn't and went to the drill.

I wouldn't think it is a good idea to listen to cabin stewards or other low ranking crew countermand ships rules or orders.

Perhaps they've decided to enforce muster drill attendance, because people who refuse to attend could well be a danger to others in the event of a real emergency. Being stupid enough not to do something for your own benefit is bad enough, but if it might endanger others it shouldn't be tolerated.

Incidentally, I'm reasonably certain that roll was taken at every lifeboat drill on every HAL cruise we've ever taken. But due to all the talking I don't see how they've ever gotten an accurate roll call. Perhaps they're now going to enforce quiet during the roll call.

Since there is no longer the requirement to wear life vests, attendance can't be taken that way. Most of the drills I've been on had a crew member calling off the cabin numbers and people responding to the numbers as they were called. Latecomers were walking up to the person with the attendance chart and giving their numbers.

ON the last muster I attended, which was the day the Concordia sank, no one took any attendance at all.

Unfortunately, there are some people who spend their entire life as infantile egomaniacs in need of attention. There undoubtedly would be more than a few who would test it to see, have fun taking photos all over the ship wearing it, and become a problem when no one cares anymore and they take it off.

You're right. I sometimes forget that there is no such thing as shame any more. I was thinking mainly of the discomfort factor, but if wearinghte "naughty" lifevest becomes a source of entertainment, it ceases to be a punishment.

I wouldn't think it is a good idea to listen to cabin stewards or other low ranking crew countermand ships rules or orders.

Perhaps they've decided to enforce muster drill attendance, because people who refuse to attend could well be a danger to others in the event of a real emergency. Being stupid enough not to do something for your own benefit is bad enough, but if it might endanger others it shouldn't be tolerated.

Incidentally, I'm reasonably certain that roll was taken at every lifeboat drill on every HAL cruise we've ever taken. But due to all the talking I don't see how they've ever gotten an accurate roll call. Perhaps they're now going to enforce quiet during the roll call.

Roll can be taken by observing the cabin number on the lift jacket as the person walks toward the muster station. I've seen that done several times.

I hope that we hear/learn that other cruise lines are also implementing a higher standard for muster drills. I've been sailing NCL since 2008 maybe and they check to see that all members of your cabin are present. I was impressed at that (one roommate was very short and could not be seen between my daughter and me who are tall!)

When my kids were young and we'd go to resort towns, I'd have them practice saying the name of the resort/time share, room number along with their name so if accidentally in trouble, a police man could get them home.

It is the same for cruises. I always look behind the door and announce the letters for the muster drill. Last time my DD said, "Mom, it's right on the key card." Oh.... ha

On my one HAL cruise, our entire roll call (and it was large) for cruise critic was under 50 except me. Most were in their 30s and 40s. This myth about only old people traveling on HAL just has to be curtailed. Yes, there are very old people on board, some of whom can outdance me!

Edited by flashdog_1

On my one HAL cruise, our entire roll call (and it was large) for cruise critic was under 50 except me. Most were in their 30s and 40s. This myth about only old people traveling on HAL just has to be curtailed. Yes, there are very old people on board, some of whom can outdance me!

The problem with the references to "old" is, nobody has yet defined "old". Back when I was forty (just before Ronald Reagan was born) I was doing some volunteer work at an elementary school. One of the kids asked how old I was and I said 40 (it might have been 41). The response was, "How come you are so old?" I replied, how old are you. I believe the answer was eleven. I then said, "How come you are so young?"

The point is, old is a comparison number. To someone who is five, 25 is old. So before everyone starts complaining about the "old" remark, everyone needs to find out what was meant by "old". For all you know, the person could have been referring to anyone over thirty. :eek: Personally, I think any one over eleven is old.

Edited by Cuizer2

The problem with the references to "old" is, nobody has yet defined "old"........
I respectfully disagree. The definition of "old" remains consistent and has always been very clear.

An "old" person always has been and always will be someone who is at least 15 years older than I am. ;)

It was a Jazz Cruise on HAL, and I believe it must have left this weekend from Fort Lauderdale as the discussion was today. I cannot "prove" it, but the information came from a Broward County Sheriff Deputy...don't know why they would make up the story. I do not know how many were involved, but was told more than one, with at least one of them from a jazz band booked onboard.

It is possible that the removal came on the heels of a bad attitude when they were finally located, that I cannot say.

Not trying to spread rumors, just had info that I thought was relevant, for the safety of all of us!

For those of you who still have doubts about the OP story - It was also reported in the USA Today 2 days ago!!!!!

http://travel.usatoday.com/cruises/post/2012/02/cruise-ship-muster-drill-holland-america/618481/1

Edited by gentlemancruiser

I just got off the Eurodam this morning and they did disembark a couple last Saturday for failing to show to muster. They give you plenty of warnings and were paging this couple over and over. They do a manual roll call. it is pretty stupid and arrogant to miss it. I guess it is a lesson learned. No one's fault but their own. I was extremely happy with the crew......no captain drinking in the bar!

Ann

The fact that a newspaper said it doesn't make it true. That HAL confirmed it does.

In a short statement sent to USA TODAY, Holland America offered few details on the nature of the non-compliance, other than citing a "failure to participate." The unnamed passenger was put off the line's 1,916-passenger Westerdam on Sunday in Ft. Lauderdale just before the ship set sail for the Caribbean.

Edited by josie724

I confess - I hate the muster drill; I'm so excited about finally being on the ship/my first day of vacation, that the last thing I want to do is put on a smelly vest (back when we had to), fight the crowds and then stand around crammed together while we wait for folks that couldn't get to the drill on time.

HOWEVER, I always go without complaint, without food/drink and without talking while the announcements are made/roll is taken.

WHY - because it's important and it's the rules.

Mom always taught me that if you can't afford to tip, you shouldn't eat out; similarly, if you are of able body and can't be bothered to do the safety drill/be respectful during the drill, then you shouldn't cruise.

We have always experienced muster prior to sailing. Maybe because it's all I've ever known, but to me this is a cruising tradition. I don't mind doing it at all and I love the feeling of knowing the next step is to set sail.

I much prefer being on deck at my lifeboat station and someone checking to be sure I've got my life jacket on correctly. Carrying my life jacket to a crowded area no where near a life boat and trying to listen to a crewmember explain what I should do in an emergency (if I can hear with people around chatting that we'll never need to use this) - just isn't right.

On our Oosterdam Mexican Riviera cruise last week, roll call was taken at Muster and it was announced that anyone NOT participating would be disembarked before we sailed. At least on our cruise, I believe everyone complied.

I applaud the new enforcement decision....

My DH and I were on the Westerdam for The Jazz Cruise (check my previous posts to confirm) and the passenger who was tossed was in the cabin next to ours. During the muster drill (which took place BEFORE the ship even budged from the dock) the crew called us out by cabin number at our lifeboat station and asked for all in the party to respond with "present". The cabin 7005 was called several times, and then paged shipwide several times with a warning that they would not be allowed to sail if they didn't respond. When my DH and I returned to our cabin (7009) to get ready for the Sail-Away Party thrown by the charter company, we saw several ship's pursers standing around and going into the next cabin. Later we were told that the guy was removed from the ship and was one of the sound technicians hired by the charter company to set up the system for the Vista Lounge. He had been on the ship for the previous 2 weeks (when the ship is fully chartered by the same company for back-to-back "Smooth Jazz" sailings) and thought that exempted him from the drill this time around, especially since he was busy setting up the sound system for the opening performances. Obviously, he was very wrong. The whole incident was the talk of the cruise.

BTW: On our previous Jazz Cruise on the Westerdam, the crew also did a "crew only" muster drill the second day of sailing. This time around they also did a couple of crew drills involving actually lowering and raising a few lifeboats and one afternoon they asked the passengers to stop using the elevators for 5 minutes while they tested the emergency backup generators.

My DH and I were on the Westerdam for The Jazz Cruise (check my previous posts to confirm) and the passenger who was tossed was in the cabin next to ours. During the muster drill (which took place BEFORE the ship even budged from the dock) the crew called us out by cabin number at our lifeboat station and asked for all in the party to respond with "present". The cabin 7005 was called several times, and then paged shipwide several times with a warning that they would not be allowed to sail if they didn't respond. When my DH and I returned to our cabin (7009) to get ready for the Sail-Away Party thrown by the charter company, we saw several ship's pursers standing around and going into the next cabin. Later we were told that the guy was removed from the ship and was one of the sound technicians hired by the charter company to set up the system for the Vista Lounge. He had been on the ship for the previous 2 weeks (when the ship is fully chartered by the same company for back-to-back "Smooth Jazz" sailings) and thought that exempted him from the drill this time around, especially since he was busy setting up the sound system for the opening performances. Obviously, he was very wrong. The whole incident was the talk of the cruise.

BTW: On our previous Jazz Cruise on the Westerdam, the crew also did a "crew only" muster drill the second day of sailing. This time around they also did a couple of crew drills involving actually lowering and raising a few lifeboats and one afternoon they asked the passengers to stop using the elevators for 5 minutes while they tested the emergency backup generators.

This procedure is (and has been) done (freqently) on all HAL cruises! ;)

On our Oosterdam Mexican Riviera cruise last week, roll call was taken at Muster and it was announced that anyone NOT participating would be disembarked before we sailed. At least on our cruise, I believe everyone complied.

I applaud the new enforcement decision....

We had the same announcement on the Noordam 1/23. After the drill, Captain Hans thanked everyone and said we'd had 100% attendance. We weren't asked to wear our life jackets.

DW and I were also on the Westerdam last week and very coincidentally met Boojimom and spent quite a bit of time with her and her DH:D. One of the comments I heard at our muster drill was from a passenger who was doing Back to Back cruises (gulp...B2B charters! $$$$!) She said "Wow, they didn't do this last week (take attendance), I guess they really mean business!"

Muster drill was much longer than 15 minutes, it was more like 30-40, as they repeatedly paged people both by cabin number and then name. They were also serious about evryone paying attention as there were several announcements of "Silence on deck" from the Captian, and officers on deck closely monitoring the progress of the drill. They were very serious about it.

DW and I were also on the Westerdam last week and very coincidentally met Boojimom and spent quite a bit of time with her and her DH:D. One of the comments I heard at our muster drill was from a passenger who was doing Back to Back cruises (gulp...B2B charters! $$$$!) She said "Wow, they didn't do this last week (take attendance), I guess they really mean business!"

Muster drill was much longer than 15 minutes, it was more like 30-40, as they repeatedly paged people both by cabin number and then name. They were also serious about evryone paying attention as there were several announcements of "Silence on deck" from the Captian, and officers on deck closely monitoring the progress of the drill. They were very serious about it.

I confess I don't like these drills - and your post is exactly why:eek: As we go to our station as instructed we wait and wait and wait for some to show up that think that they can take their sweet time.

Nothing wrong with a complete muster drill and happy to hear it - but it really irks me that some think they can come as they wish while those who do as instructed wait :eek:

As to the person kicked off - no sympathy - on a b2b -it the rules were changed I am sure they were advised or it was in the Explorer. If they call your room number several times - is the light on, is anyone home:rolleyes:

The problem with the references to "old" is, nobody has yet defined "old". Back when I was forty (just before Ronald Reagan was born) I was doing some volunteer work at an elementary school. One of the kids asked how old I was and I said 40 (it might have been 41). The response was, "How come you are so old?" I replied, how old are you. I believe the answer was eleven. I then said, "How come you are so young?"

The point is, old is a comparison number. To someone who is five, 25 is old. So before everyone starts complaining about the "old" remark, everyone needs to find out what was meant by "old". For all you know, the person could have been referring to anyone over thirty. :eek: Personally, I think any one over eleven is old.

When we first moved to South Carolina, we went to a nearby movie theater. Since different establishments have different age levels for discounted senior citizen tickets, I asked, "What is the age for senior citizen tickets?". The teen ticket seller looked so puzzled ...... finally she said, "Um .... I don't know ..... just OLD!"

Disclaimer: I haven't read all the pages of this thread :o.

Just posting to confirm: on Eurodam 28 Jan sailing, announcements were repeatedly made before muster drill.

All were warned that non attendance =immediate debarkation before sailing. No appeal. Anyone with valid reasons for being unable to comply were urged to call in advance and obtain an official "bye" and tutoring. Saw several people speak directly to muster officials, and some were allowed to sit in special locations instead of standing.

Muster took about 15 minutes. A few latecomers (no idea if they were found and "persuaded") but 100% compliance was confirmed before dismissal.

Just back from the Zaandam, which sailed from Hong Kong on January 23. It was a strange situation, in that we boarded on the 22nd, but did not sail until the 23rd. Sailing time was 11:00 P.M. The Chinese New Year's parade was that night, and a number of passengers had tickets to see the parade. When the Explorer came out that day, it announced an all-aboard time at 7 P.M. and the parade didn't even start until 8. I went down to the front desk as soon as I saw the announcement, and asked what we would do about about the parade tickets. They told me not to worry about it, but did tell me that we would miss the muster and would have to make it up on the first day. Eventually the all aboard time was backed up to around 5:00, but the front desk told those of us attending the parade that we neeed to be on board no later than 10:00. When we got to our room that night, there was a letter on the bed asking that we attend a make up muster the next morning. I would estimate that there were over 200 cabin numbers called when they checked roll that morning!