Beauty items you can't live without when you travel

ClassyGame

this is such a tough question! my boyfriend says I travel with far too many toiletries, but I'd rather sacrifice a few pairs of shoes than my makeup!

I second the mentions of Batiste dry shampoo, the clarisonic, and sunscreen. Other things I couldn't live without are my under-eye concealer (I use either the garnier eye roller or Bobbi Brown's corrector), my tinted moisturiser (it's by NARS), mascara (I use L'oreal voluminous), highlighter (I use NARS albatross), and lip balm (I use the Fresh Sugar tinted lip balm in passion). I'm extremely pale, so I need the mascara/ highlighter/ lip colour to not look so washed out!

I think it depends on the cruise though. I did a European cruise in the summer and between my sister and I had a full make up collection, but for my upcoming Caribbean cruise I'm going to try and cut back where possible. We'll see how well that goes! :p

this is such a tough question! my boyfriend says I travel with far too many toiletries, but I'd rather sacrifice a few pairs of shoes than my makeup!

I second the mentions of Batiste dry shampoo, the clarisonic, and sunscreen. Other things I couldn't live without are my under-eye concealer (I use either the garnier eye roller or Bobbi Brown's corrector), my tinted moisturiser (it's by NARS), mascara (I use L'oreal voluminous), highlighter (I use NARS albatross), and lip balm (I use the Fresh Sugar tinted lip balm in passion). I'm extremely pale, so I need the mascara/ highlighter/ lip colour to not look so washed out!

I think it depends on the cruise though. I did a European cruise in the summer and between my sister and I had a full make up collection, but for my upcoming Caribbean cruise I'm going to try and cut back where possible. We'll see how well that goes! :p

Too many toiletries?! There's no such thing! ;)

I love so many things on your list! Especially NARS Albatross. So pretty!

I really don't take or need much. I use whats on the ship and of course just need my deodorant. I use the shampoo, soap, toothpaste that is supplied. I wear no makeup and usually don't even need to wear sunscreen as I can sit in the sun for hours and not even get tan. LOL But, of course I bring a 3 oz bottle that gets me through the whole week.

Sadly, I pack a lot of beauty items. But if I was going to highlight the ones which I would miss the most if left at home:

curling iron

hairspray

waterproof liquid eyeliner

sunscreen

I typically pack my everyday makeup and essential beauty products in my rolling carry-on. The rest can go in my checked luggage. I keep telling my husband that I can take a mini-cruise with my carry-on. If my checked luggage never makes it on any ship, I can still cruise with changes of clothes and beauty essentials. I won't even turn loose of it to the dock porters for delivery to my cabin. My husband thinks I am a nut, but it gives me piece of mind.

I just starred using Bautiste dry shampoo, and it will be going with me on our upcoming cruise.

Other must haves:

Flat iron

Sulfate free shampoo

Uv hair protectant

Sunscreen

BB cream

A great make up palette: this time it us my Benefit Matthew Williamson palette. It will work for both day and night.

I don't understand Dry Shampoo! I get that it's for making dirty hair look clean, but why not just take a shower and wash your hair? I can go a couple days without washing my hair and it still looks good, but I wouldn't want to go that long without a shower. :confused:

I'm not trying to be snarky, I'm just surprised how many people list an item that I've never even seen used in 60 years! :)

I don't understand Dry Shampoo! I get that it's for making dirty hair look clean, but why not just take a shower and wash your hair? I can go a couple days without washing my hair and it still looks good, but I wouldn't want to go that long without a shower. :confused:

I'm not trying to be snarky, I'm just surprised how many people list an item that I've never even seen used in 60 years! :)

For me, I have very long and thick hair so I have to go 2-3 days in between washes (I just shower with a shower cap on my off days) or else it kills my hair. My hair gets greasy really quickly, so I use it to conquer any greasiness between washes. It also adds volume and gives a little oomph to flat hair. :)

I don't do anything for a cruise that I don't do for any other type of travel. And the most important things for me are sunscreen (>30spf, various options), lip balm (I am addicted and will bring several but Kiehl's #1 is my favorite favorite), hand lotion (for travel, usually something heavy I can use on feet & elbows too, neutrogena, eucerin, kiehls) and nail clippers.

I bring my own shampoo & conditioner, sometimes mousse or root lifter (esp for a business trip but I don't always care as much on vacation)

My last Caribbean vacation was a sailing trip and I brought no cosmetics and a heck of a lot of sunscreen:p

Oh - I do sometimes bring a dry shampoo because on vacation, I shower at night (before dinner) instead of the morning before excursions. But my hair is super greasy so unless I'm going straight into the water (which is really not normal for me) then I need to do something with it.....

Edited by Hoyaheel

I like having my eyelashes dyed before I go. I still wear mascara at night but this makes them dark enough that I can go during the day without them. About $20 at our local spa and lasts for about 4 weeks. Works best on darker eyelashes but mine are very light and it still darkens them up pretty good. Doesn't make them longer though :)

Consumer reports came out with ratings of moisturizers a few years ago that showed that one product could serve for both face and body (this was in terms of moistuization, and did not take into account the many other ingredients in and purposes for facial and even body products). Although I usually do use separate products for specific purposes, I have often relied on CR's advice when traveling. I pack a gentle, all purpose moisturizer, such as Eucerin that I use liberally all over.The only other products I can't do without are lip conditioner and a glossy lipstick.

I like having my eyelashes dyed before I go. I still wear mascara at night but this makes them dark enough that I can go during the day without them. About $20 at our local spa and lasts for about 4 weeks. Works best on darker eyelashes but mine are very light and it still darkens them up pretty good. Doesn't make them longer though :)

I do the same thing with my lashes, and also my brows. Really makes a difference during a sea day when you just want to lay around the pool or any other day when you don't want to "make up".

I have also fallen in love with Laura Mercier's "Tightline". I have always loved eyeliner because of my fair coloring, but this stuff is phenomenal! It "outlines" your top lash line to make it look fuller, but you really can't see it (as you can eyeliner). If you're in a department store, have the LM sales person try it on you. I've introduced it to all my friends :D

So, other than my skin care (I use Sisley) and hair care products (I use Oribe), I would have to take the Tightline!

(beyond basic toiletries...)

SUNSCREEN

LIP BALM

HAIRSPRAY (travel size, pump won't do)

Bare Minerals mineral powder makeup--all I had on the last trip was true foundation YUK...slid right off. Had to overpay for another brand on board that wasn't nearly as good.

(beyond basic toiletries...)

SUNSCREEN

LIP BALM

HAIRSPRAY (travel size, pump won't do)

Bare Minerals mineral powder makeup--all I had on the last trip was true foundation YUK...slid right off. Had to overpay for another brand on board that wasn't nearly as good.

That's odd to me, the onboard prices for cosmetics has always been the same as what I pay in department stores. Actually a bit less, since there is no tax. I don't plan on cosmetic purchases unless I find something I can't live without…you can't always depend on what you need being available. But I always look :)

Bare Minerals? That stuff makes my skin feel like it's on fire, something in it doesn't agree with me.

I honestly bring my entire makeup bag every trip I go on. Even if it's just for one night! But the main things I need to make sure I do is my 3 step clinique procedure...wash face, toner, & moisturizer every morning and night. I usually only apply makeup for dinner when I'm on a cruise, but again, I take all of my makeup lol

:D I am known for paring down and minimizing the toiletries I bring on vacations. My mother just looks at me like I have 5 heads for being able to do this :D

HAIR:

• Diffuser (I use the ships blowdryer)
  • Morroccan Oil
  • Kinky Curly Custard (Whole Foods)
  • bobby pins/rubber bands/barrettes for cute hair dos via http://www.thesmallthingsblog.com/ (I practice before the trip on diff hairstyles that might work for daytime or nighttime)

SKIN/MAKEUP:

• Clinique Moisture Surge Moisturizer
  • Murad Face Wash
  • Jojoba Oil (from Trader Joe's for cleaning off eye-makeup easily)
  • Bare Essentials powders & brushes, blemish therapy & coverup
  • Urban Decay Naked2 palette & bare essentials Foil eye kit (love the disco color for a neutral!)
  • Mascara - Tarte Amazonian clay
  • Sunscreen

SPF 100+ sunscreen

Dermalogica After Sun Repair

Dermalogica Age Smart cleanser

A good moisturizer

Little eyeshadow tray with a lot of colors

Mascara

Liquid make-up one shade lighter than my skin to cover up sunburn or "blotchiness" from too much sun.

And, last but not least my beloved Body and Bath White Citrus shower gel and body lotion (I'm addicted).

Great thread!!!

I also cant rely on ship freebies for my needs. Have to take my own and its at least two to three cosmetic bags full of stuff.

One trick I learned from another poster is when a bottle of shampoo, conditioner, moisturizer or other item in a tube is at the point where there is enough to last you for a week, stop using it and save it for your trip. That way, you finish off the remaining amount on the trip and the bottles stay behind instead of lugging them back home.

Re dry shampoo: I usually use baby powder but just stumbled on a site describing on a product called Moni May Hair Shadz. Comes in different colors and works as a root extender, dryshampoo and scalp protector (SPF 15)

http://www.monimay.com/

Has anyone tried this before?

I currently use a Redken color extend sunscreen for hair/scalp. Thinking of trying something different. I have highlighted hair that is fine and always get a burn on my scalp where my hair parts.

Any thoughts ladies???

Flat iron & hair dryer

lip balm with SPF 50

coconut oil

my own shampoo & conditioner

leave in conditioner with heat resistance for flat iron use

my turbie twist hair towels

pumice bar for my feet~ feels good to scrub them with that after a long day of playing in the water and walking all over~!!

Great thread!!!

I also cant rely on ship freebies for my needs. Have to take my own and its at least two to three cosmetic bags full of stuff.

One trick I learned from another poster is when a bottle of shampoo, conditioner, moisturizer or other item in a tube is at the point where there is enough to last you for a week, stop using it and save it for your trip. That way, you finish off the remaining amount on the trip and the bottles stay behind instead of lugging them back home.

I currently use a Redken color extend sunscreen for hair/scalp. Thinking of trying something different. I have highlighted hair that is fine and always get a burn on my scalp where my hair parts.

Any thoughts ladies???

Regarding the scalp sunscreen, take a look at these on Amazon. I personally like the baby product because it's in a 2 oz bottle, and you know it's going to be non-allergenic, etc. Plus, it's a hight spf:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_c_0_15?url=search-alias%3Dhpc&field-keywords=scalp%20sunscreen&sprefix=scalp+sunscreen%2Caps%2C263

If I get any tenderness on my scalp, I use my Dermalogica After Sun product overnight, then wash my hair in the morning. That stuff is truly amazing.

About the almost used facial products. I do something similar, but I put the remaining product in tiny travel jars I buy at Walmart. I label them, and then put them in my travel "bin" in the bathroom. The trick to getting it all out if it's in a tube is to hold the bottom and flap the tube vigorously back and forth, letting centrifugal force push all the product toward the opening. Then, cut the tube at about one inch above the opening. Scoop out all the product in the large and small portions of the tube into your little travel container. You would be amazed at how much is left in that tube! I can go for 10 days with that little cut off portion of the tube in a plastic baggie at home.