My view on Specialty restaurants

Interesting thread...

We are not huge users of Specialty Restaurants, maybe once on each cruise tops, sometimes not at all. However, when/if it becomes necessary to have to go to Specialty Restaurants in order to get a nice dinner, then for us it is time to change cruise lines! :)

On none of our past cruises, 15 of them (all with Royal) have we taken in a Specialty restaurant. We have enjoyed the MDR experience and have enjoyed our meals. They neither took too long nor were they meals that were unappetizing. Did I like everything I ordered? No, so I ordered something else. The staff did not have a problem with that at all.

Have things changed in the MDR over the years, sure. More tables assigned to each waiter/bus person; but with more people going to the Specialty restaurants, it seemed not to affect our dinner. Do we always like our table mates, no; but I won't see them after the week, is over. I can be sociable in all situations, gosh it is only an hour, each night.

We may try a specialty restaurant on the Allure in June. They have Izumi, and we do enjoy Japanese food. We do it once a month at home....we will probably try it on the ship.

If I were to advise a 'new cruiser' what to do....I would say: be open to your options, and exercise your options. Whether you are on a limited budget or not, do what YOU want, regardless of what the opinions of others.

The MDR, can be a very nice experience -- it sure has been for us -- and will continue to be!

I really can't take anyone seriously when they say things like "MDR food is a step above Denny's." So when people say things like that their credibility goes out of the window. I'm not sure what kind of banquets you've been going to but I would consider banquet food to be a positive thing. I think the person you replied to ha a different experience and thats why theres a discrepancy there.

Just for clarification, I never said the MDR is a step above Denny's. That was someone else.

I'm just curious ...... How many of the folks slamming the MDR for being low quality or banquet-like cook at a gourmet level each night at home? How many actually care to have that gourmet edge to the food each meal? :confused:

We tend to order dishes in the MDR that I don't normally cook at home - stepping out of our normal menu comfort zones- and have been, on the whole, very happy with the MDR menus.

This is exactly what I've been wondering - the MDR slammers, when they dine out at home, where do they eat and is it every night?

I'm sure there are a few people posting for whom the cruise is a once-in-a- long time splurge, and don't mind upcharges, but many on CC cruise much more often.

We are on a relatively tight budget, but try to get in around 6 weeks onboard a year, along with the flights and hotels that are incidental to the cruises. Because of this, I'm unhappy to see a trend toward extra expense, as it would seriously hamper our cruise budget.

Anyway, in our personal situation a pizza or similar out once or twice a week is the extent of our dining, with a place like Outback reserved for special nights. An upper level place like Ruth's Chris would be a rare splurge, maybe once a year.

I contrast this with the MDR bashers, those that put the MDR below Denny's. At home, where do you eat and how often?

This is exactly what I've been wondering - the MDR slammers, when they dine out at home, where do they eat and is it every night?

I'm sure there are a few people posting for whom the cruise is a once-in-a- long time splurge, and don't mind upcharges, but many on CC cruise much more often.

We are on a relatively tight budget, but try to get in around 6 weeks onboard a year, along with the flights and hotels that are incidental to the cruises. Because of this, I'm unhappy to see a trend toward extra expense, as it would seriously hamper our cruise budget.

Anyway, in our personal situation a pizza or similar out once or twice a week is the extent of our dining, with a place like Outback reserved for special nights. An upper level place like Ruth's Chris would be a rare splurge, maybe once a year.

I contrast this with the MDR bashers, those that put the MDR below Denny's. At home, where do you eat and how often?

I could only hope to be able to cruise 6 weeks a year. Between saving for the cruises and getting time off from work, it is impossible.

I enjoy the 2 cruises we try to take each year totally 10-11 days.

MDR bashers? No one is "bashing" the MDR. I simply choose not to dine there because the room is huge, loud and feel that the service is rushed. We choose to dine in the specialty restaurants because of the size of the venue, the food is a step up over the MDR and the service is not rushed. There are some that prefer to dine up in the lido dining over the MDR. They have their reasons. Just because someone states that they don't like something is not bashing but if it makes you feel better to state that then go ahead.

Edited by cruisingator2

We enjoy dining in the MDR and what they serve is especially good because I don't have to shop, cook or clean up afterwards. We can always find something we enjoy every night we go there.

On long cruises though we tire of eating MDR food.....at some point I feel like if I see another sauce or strange potato preparation I will scream!! When we spent a month on the Mariner in 2012 we ate at Johnny Rockets 4-5 times in the last few days. We just couldn't do MDR or Windjammer food one more time. The extra charge was well worth it!

DW and I have been cruising since the early 70's and have been aware of all changes that have evolved both in sea and river cruising. Specialty restaurants fill a need that has become necessary as ships grew bigger; it accommodates those passengers as us that "live to eat" against many who "eat to live".

There is an important difference in the food when you have to serve 1500 people at the same vs. 450; and there is no way around it. (I am a food scientist with a PhD). Food, also, has become more important in our everyday life, variation and variety, different ethnicities, etc. are the guidelines cruise lines are using today to satisfy their cruising public. It is NOT just financial opportunity!

Rebeca and Herb ;) :confused:

2 hrs is rushed? How long does it take you to eat dinner in a restaurant at home?

MDR bashers? No one is "bashing" the MDR. I simply choose not to dine there because the room is huge, loud and feel that the service is rushed. We choose to dine in the specialty restaurants because of the size of the venue, the food is a step up over the MDR and the service is not rushed. There are some that prefer to dine up in the lido dining over the MDR. They have their reasons. Just because someone states that they don't like something is not bashing but if it makes you feel better to state that then go ahead.
Edited by awhcruiser

No basher here either. The food is very good but I agree, the room is so much louder now and the service not as good. The staff just seems to rush around and it's hard to get their attention. On our last two cruises the two of us ended up alone at tables for six. Granted, others may not have had the same experience or couldn't careless about the things I've mentioned but it formed our personal preference.

No basher here either. The food is very good but I agree, the room is so much louder now and the service not as good. The staff just seems to rush around and it's hard to get their attention. On our last two cruises the two of us ended up alone at tables for six. Granted, others may not have had the same experience or couldn't careless about the things I've mentioned but it formed our personal preference.

I guess some of the people who you were seated with on your tables for six chose to partake of the other dining options. It happens all the time.

I guess some of the people who you were seated with on your tables for six chose to partake of the other dining options. It happens all the time.

We have no problem with that but we always enjoyed meeting new people in the MDR. Now that we'll be doing more specialties, I switched my preference to MTD so we won't leave others sitting alone.

On none of our past cruises, 15 of them (all with Royal) have we taken in a Specialty restaurant. We have enjoyed the MDR experience and have enjoyed our meals. They neither took too long nor were they meals that were unappetizing. Did I like everything I ordered? No, so I ordered something else. The staff did not have a problem with that at all.

Have things changed in the MDR over the years, sure. More tables assigned to each waiter/bus person; but with more people going to the Specialty restaurants, it seemed not to affect our dinner. Do we always like our table mates, no; but I won't see them after the week, is over. I can be sociable in all situations, gosh it is only an hour, each night.

We may try a specialty restaurant on the Allure in June. They have Izumi, and we do enjoy Japanese food. We do it once a month at home....we will probably try it on the ship.

If I were to advise a 'new cruiser' what to do....I would say: be open to your options, and exercise your options. Whether you are on a limited budget or not, do what YOU want, regardless of what the opinions of others.

The MDR, can be a very nice experience -- it sure has been for us -- and will continue to be!

Good perspective. Really is dinning on a cruise ship our biggest concern? Think about it, in any restaurant on the ship someone is serving us food. How many people in this world are STARVING? And we complain about cruise food? Honestly?

I just saw a story on the news. An eight year old boy's mom is in the military serving in Afghanistan, The news made a video connection between the boy and his mom. With tears in his eyes all he could say was "I love you mom". I guess what I'm trying to say is look around you and learn to be Grateful for what you have. Perhaps we should stop whining about how tough cruising has become. We are the most fortunate people in this world. Flame me if you will.

Good perspective. Really is dinning on a cruise ship our biggest concern? Think about it, in any restaurant on the ship someone is serving us food. How many people in this world are STARVING? And we complain about cruise food? Honestly?

Really?? just a bit dismissive don't ya think?

You don't seem to get the Op's point here. well or anyone's for that matter.:)

Disagree 100% ..Perfectly good food? Food for sure is subjective, but I can say on all my 29 cruises, including 12 on RCI, all the MDR food has been "OK" to "not bad" to "it was fine"...not what most people would like on their cruise..on the other hand, I find food in Chops, Portifinos, Le Bistro ( NCL) , Teppanyaki ( NCL Japanese steakhouse) or Palo ( Disney) 100 % better than in the MDR...my wife & I have NEVER had a bad meal in a specialty restaurant..only Disney & Celebrity have had "decent" MDR food IMO...I don't disagree that there seems to be a trend towards more $$ venues, and that that generates more $$ for the cruise lines. I look at it as a choice...15-20 years ago, you had NO choices for dinner. You ate at 6 or 8:30, you ate with whom they sat you with, you ordered what they showed you. I did NOT like that system ever..I am not a 5th grader- I don't want to be told when to eat, with whom and what to eat- not to mention how to dress...now, at least you have choices..if you want to eat pasta, chicken, cheap steaks, over-cooked fish, and side dishes that are very mediocre, you should be able to. I don't go on cruises to eat food similar to Friday's or Chili's ( at best!)...Here are the reasons we like specialty venues:

1) Much better quality of food

2) Much better selection of entrees

3) MUCH BETTER selection of side dishes

4) Much better selection of appetizers ( have you tried the crab cakes in Chops or the escargots in Le Bistro? Worth the price of dinner alone!!)

5) Yummy desserts ( much better selection)

6) Table for 2- many times at a window over-looking the sea..very romantic!!

7) More intimate atmosphere- dine with 50-100 people instead of 1500-2000 ..BIG DIFFERENCE...I don't always feel like eating with tons of people!!

8) No waiters dancing or criss crossing with trays of food everywhere

9) Soft romantic music ( if any)..you can hold a conversation

10) Perfect places to celebrate a special occasion

11) Compare $15-35 PP with what you would pay at Friday's, Chili's, Outback, LET ALONE Ruth Chris, Morton's, etc. You can't even eat at Denny's for $15 PP!! And you don't have a table for 2 at a window by the water...those meals are EASILY worth $ 50-75 PP in any decent restaurant ( if not more..)..a NY Strip or Filet Mignon ALONE in a high end steak place is $40-55 pp with NO salad, no side dishes, no dessert, and usually no table by the sea- think about it..$15-35 PP is a steal!!

12) Finally, I work hard & my wife works very hard..we are NOT cheap or frugal when we cruise- we are careful at home, and try & save for memorable cruises ....95% of people I have told to try the $$ restaurants agreed it was a great meal and a TON better than the MDR..I even know people who NEVER dine in the MDR because they said "the food is so mediocre there"...BTW, I expect the food in most MDR's to be mediocre or just "OK"...as long as I leave with a full stomach, I 'm OK with that. However, I NEVER expect to leave the MDR saying, "wow, that was amazingly good..can't wait to eat tomorrow"..I am, however, happy to say that 95% of the time I leave the specialty venues, I am 100% satisfied and felt it was well worth the $$..as others have said, you don't have to spend a dime in the better venues, and that's called OPTIONS ( again)..JMHO..

Big Al

I am with Big Al. On a 7 day Oasis or Allure we will only eat in MDR once, maybe twice all other in a specialty restaurant. Food, service, atmosphere is so much better than in the MDR. I also have pre-paid tipping and tip extra in the specialty restaurants and it is still worth it!

I took my first cruise in 1998. It was a "great deal" on Grandeur of the Seas. We paid $750 per person for an inside cabin. In today's dollars that would be $1072 for the same cabin. We cruised in Sep. a very low time of the year.

In 1998 oil was $11.91 per barrel. Adjusted to today's dollars it would be $17.02. Actual cost today is about $100 per barrel.

But now factor in this, ships used to hold 600 passengers and were more inclusive so spread the price of of a cruise over 600. Today the ships sail with 3,000 to 6,000 passengers and although some staff areas have more staff (which we pay anyway thru tipping) the profit margin has increased and the amenities have been diminished.

But now factor in this, ships used to hold 600 passengers and were more inclusive so spread the price of of a cruise over 600. Today the ships sail with 3,000 to 6,000 passengers and although some staff areas have more staff (which we pay anyway thru tipping) the profit margin has increased and the amenities have been diminished.

That profit margin is not nearly what you think when you consider not only the cost of today's fuels, but the fitment and retrofit or equipment capable of burning the fuel in a clean way and processing exhaust emissions.

I just saw a story on the news. An eight year old boy's mom is in the military serving in Afghanistan, The news made a video connection between the boy and his mom. With tears in his eyes all he could say was "I love you mom". I guess what I'm trying to say is look around you and learn to be Grateful for what you have. Perhaps we should stop whining about how tough cruising has become. We are the most fortunate people in this world. Flame me if you will.

I'm not trying to sound cold hearted, really, but this IS a forum dedicated to discussing topics surrounding cruising, just like there are forums dedicated to every other conceivable form of recreational / leisure travel; some less costly, some significantly more costly, than a Royal Caribbean vacation.

Discussing difference of opinion on a topic of interest with other people doesn't mean anyone is ungrateful or do not recognize hardship in the world. That's kind of a tough logic for me to reconcile really.

You don't care what changes aboard a ship; you're a happy camper, you like to "dine out" and generally are pretty pleased with the whole experience and feel like you're lucky in life. Okay, that's your opinion that you're entitled to. But to claim others should feel similarly is a bit absurd, no?

I'm not trying to sound cold hearted, really, but this IS a forum dedicated to discussing topics surrounding cruising, just like there are forums dedicated to every other conceivable form of recreational / leisure travel; some less costly, some significantly more costly, than a Royal Caribbean vacation.

Discussing difference of opinion on a topic of interest with other people doesn't mean anyone is ungrateful or do not recognize hardship in the world. That's kind of a tough logic for me to reconcile really.

You don't care what changes aboard a ship; you're a happy camper, you like to "dine out" and generally are pretty pleased with the whole experience and feel like you're lucky in life. Okay, that's your opinion that you're entitled to. But to claim others should feel similarly is a bit absurd, no?

You are right. I enjoy a very high standard of living. Feel however you like about cruising. I will continue to be grateful for what I have.

Edited by Fat Paul

I'm the "boiled frog guy" and I think you did a great job of expressing yourself. In particular, the points I quoted state it quite succinctly in my opinion, and I completely agree.

I'm probably getting closer all the time - that "tipping point" you mention - of looking at alternatives. I'd be inclined to look up the ladder at Celebrity & Azamara, but what's stopped me on that are all the reports I read talking about how much "quieter & subdued" the atmosphere is there. I wish we could find a little more upscale experience like RCCL of the past, but still enjoy dancing & partying till well after midnight & being able to go for a moonlit swim if it struck our fancy, without discovering that the dance club is almost empty & the pools closed by 10 PM!

Sent from my Galaxy S4 via Tapatalk

My ultimate party girl friend just got back from 12 nights on Azamara and loved it. She had her disco, her gym and her wine. Try it, you just might love it.

2 hrs is rushed? How long does it take you to eat dinner in a restaurant at home?

Two hours is rushed when you have to watch how the waitstaff are run off their feet but don't have time to attend to your table. That was our experience on the one night we dined in the MDR ON Allure two weeks ago.

Edited by critterchick

Really?? just a bit dismissive don't ya think?

You don't seem to get the Op's point here. well or anyone's for that matter.:)

A lot of people in this thread are having a hard time making the distinction between being unhappy and ungrateful and happy and grateful but speculative about the future.

You MUST accept that the ala cart experience is superior otherwise you are labeled a whiner and complainer.

The title of this thread is "MY VIEW ON...." Why some people have been belligerent in this thread is just beyond me.

I have not read the thread in its entirity but the first few pages suggested the direction of cruise line to consumer manipulation of "what is and should be consumed" at least to fill the bottom line.

That is the point though, the bottom line, and thus the opposite of what the OP suggests. Allow me to digress a bit from the subject at hand and to make a comparison to my market which is programming. I have been accused of manipulating but the truth be told my clients want X,Y,Z or I lose out and so I have to meet the demand or not have demand at all.

Without getting too boring, cruise lines are meeting demand, it is us the consumer that create this, not the cruise line down to the consumer. If the demand were not there, the speciality restaurants would fail.

So let me handle the likely rebuttal:

The food in the MDR is now lower (on purpose) and so speciality restaurants are sought out.

well, i have been on carnival many times, the supper club(signature, chef's table) is more like say going to Tony's here in Houston vs say Outback steakhouse. Does my demand for MDR get supplemented to the Supper Club? No.. It's a one time treat usually. But let's take a look at other speciality restaurants, like Guy's Burger joint or Sushi, Ji Ji Asian or BBQ for example... but these are normally their own worlds of food, adding to the variety outside of MDR or the buffet. Can a cruise line be everything to all taste buds for free? That is the question, i would say, very hard to do, especially take with RCI, i love the sushi on Izumi and they specialize in that, should the MDR as well? Should the MDR on RCI specialize in what Sabor does?

If we read the boards here many times posters will say how boring cruise x will be if they keep going to the same ports or do x, y or z... the opinions here should be logic enough to tell you that indeed cruise lines are trying to be all things to as many of us as they can, but it can't be done for free.

That said, another point, I would say the demographics while strong for speciality are not there in sufficient number. On every cruise i have been room service seems to be the largest hit followed by the buffet. I think speciality has a long way to go supplement "free."

Another example, RCI now allows unlimited alcohol for individuals again to meet demand of frustrated consumers complaining about "not everyone in the same stateroom wants it." I have a hard time of seeing consumer manipulation, just the opposite.

Edited by mrBit