alternate britannia menu

Rocky123

While on the QM2 some customers in the Britannia restaurant requested a alternate menu every evening for dinner.

Does anyone have a copy of this menu? Or maybe know what's offered!

Thanks,

As far as I know the menu is chicken, salmon or steak with steamed vegetables. I am sure someone would correct me if I am wrong.

As far as I know the menu is chicken, salmon or steak with steamed vegetables. I am sure someone would correct me if I am wrong.
Hi Lanky Lad,

You're correct.

Last summer (on QM2) on a crossing, and a cruise a short time afterwards, I deliberately ordered "off menu" in the Britannia Restaurant on three occasions*, and on each was offered chicken, salmon, or steak.

Now I know I can add Caesar Salad as well (which I didn't previously), thank you jimmybean.

Given the choices available on the menu each night, I can't imagine that I'd do this often, maybe if I noted menu repeats on a long cruise, for variety.

(*I did this because someone had said that if you tried this, the stewards in Britannia would claim ignorance about "off menu" orders, or make excuses about it "not being available that night". I had no such difficulties).

(Long time since we last chatted in the Winter Garden on QM2, maybe again one day soon, I hope)

Best wishes to you :)

Edited by pepperrn

There isn't really a specific 'Britannia off menu' . What has been suggested above is always available. However, within reason, one can always request other simple additional food items, for example, steamed vegetables ......I occasionally like a Baked Jacket potato with sour cream and chive or a Prawn Cocktail for starter.

As long as one remembers they are in Britannia and not in the Grills, the wait staff will go out of their way to try and accommodate .

Use of crew members names is one way to strike up a happy medium ;)

While on the QM2 some customers in the Britannia restaurant requested a alternate menu every evening for dinner.

Thanks,

They also have a menu for those with dietary issues.

Thanks,

If I remember correctly, years ago, on the regular menu there was a section that said something like "always available" and listed the items mentioned by Pepper, plus the shrimp cocktail and caesar salad. At some point, this section of the regular menu was deleted, but the items remain available upon request. So, there really never was an alternative menu per se.

I have tried on multiple crossing & always been denied. We tend to take long cruises & sometimes the repeat menus get to me. Twice I was told no it's not available. Once I had a conversation with my waiter - i asked if anything else was available. I asked for a Caesar salad or chicken. i am always polite & friendly. I was told I had to talk to the head waiter & he was busy. They would send him over when they could. It never happened. I said I know many people that get Caesar salads every night - shrimp - etc. I don't get the inconsistencies.

Now if we're on multiple weeks I'll just do room service if I'm not net interested in the nights menu. Glad to hear some people get results.

I have tried on multiple crossing & always been denied. We tend to take long cruises & sometimes the repeat menus get to me. Twice I was told no it's not available. Once I had a conversation with my waiter - i asked if anything else was available. I asked for a Caesar salad or chicken. i am always polite & friendly. I was told I had to talk to the head waiter & he was busy. They would send him over when they could. It never happened. I said I know many people that get Caesar salads every night - shrimp - etc. I don't get the inconsistencies.
That is strange. We have never had a waiter volunteer information about off menu items prior to ordering, but none have ever questioned our order. We have never had a problem ordering salmon or steak when we don't find a main dish on the menu that appeals to us and I'm one of those who gets a Caesar salad nearly every night.

Bob

I've never tried it myself, I've always been able to choose something from the menu. We did have a table companion last year who had a habit of asking for a plate of chips - often as his main course was being delivered !

There was never any adverse comment from the staff and the chips usually arrived fairly quickly.

I've never tried it myself, I've always been able to choose something from the menu. We did have a table companion last year who had a habit of asking for a plate of chips - often as his main course was being delivered !

There was never any adverse comment from the staff and the chips usually arrived fairly quickly.

On the next table to us in the Britannia MDR on some of the eves a kindly gentleman ordered steak and chips off menu, the couple were really lovely and jovial and got on well with everyone including the restaurant staff. I guess something that as available on room service 24/7 probably isn't a big deal to order off menu. Hats off to Britannia MDR for accommodating where they can.

Now if we're on multiple weeks I'll just do room service if I'm not net interested in the nights menu. Glad to hear some people get results.

Talk to the Maitre D before you sit down. They are the people who get the results. If your head waiter has too many tables,they may be unwilling to do that much extra for you. This was the issue on the QV. Food was good,except the last formal night. The Lobster Thermidore had only enough for a few small forks worth of food. Pretty lame. The staff was unwilling to bring more. I already had my extra tip in hand that night. Really should have held it back. One of the reasons we now mostly do Celebrity. The DR staff I found to be generally better trained & much more accomodating.