Avalon "optional" excursions... Confused

uilleann

This Sunday will be the first day that the optional excursions will be posted and can be booked for our ME trip in Sept on the Panorama. I am confused about a few things.

1. Will they also show the complementary excursions?

2. Should I be in a hurry to book an Optional excursion?

I read one article about how the best Optional excursions fill up fast. But then I read a post recently that said many if not most of these excursions were still not all booked by embarkation time?

This Sunday will be the first day that the optional excursions will be posted and can be booked for our ME trip in Sept on the Panorama. I am confused about a few things.

1. Will they also show the complementary excursions?

2. Should I be in a hurry to book an Optional excursion?

I read one article about how the best Optional excursions fill up fast. But then I read a post recently that said many if not most of these excursions were still not all booked by embarkation time?

I've been on two Avalon cruises. One on the Seine and the other the Rhine. I'm not certain of your itinerary so I'll give a general answer. On the Seine, the optional tour to the Louvre was capacity controlled and I think some folks might have got shut out. On the Rhine the Anne Frank house tour was capacity controlled and some got shut out. Usually the CD gives you A cutoff date to sign up. In Amsterdam we hemmed and hawed about the Red Light District tour. We waited past the deadline and the CD called the tour operator to see if he could add two more. It depended on what size bus they sent over. Most times signing up onboard is not an issue

I just looked at the OP posting history they are doing Amsterdam to Budapest in Sept. This is the exact same itinerary I took last Sept on Avalon.

You need to fly in early and just enjoy Amsterdam. AF House tickets can easily be purchased on line if you do it ASAP and on your own.

We looked things over but did not book anything until we boarded the boat. There was no rush and no issues.

If you are going to do AF with Avalon that is the only thing I would sign up for in advance. As to the rest leave it until you board.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I just got back from my trip from Paris to Normandy with Avalon. When our optional excursions were listed on line they also listed the included excursions that we had choices of. I talked to our cruise director on the first day & she said she uses the pre sign up sheet as a guide & for most excursions it wasn't a big deal to change your mind on the ship. There was plenty of time to sign up on board as well.

we have done 8 European river cruises and we have not seen any optionals booked out. so no need to be in a hurry but of course discuss with the cruise director once on board. plus it seems many ships are not sailing at full capacity you can check on the Avalon site to see how your ship is filling.

another consideration is the possibility that any cruise is subject to disruption changes in ports etc because of water levels or other factors, flexibility is key. to avoid disappointment be prepared. as others have said if possible factor in some independent stuff pre or post.

There is no harm reserving an optional tour in advance. You are not charged until after the tour is completed

With AMA, they offer "Limited Edition" tours which we do book in advance. These are included but have limited capacity.

We have not booked any extra charge excursions since Avalon (the lines we sail now include so many there has not been a reason to) and did book those in advance to get what we wanted. No risk to do so.

Edited by caviargal

There is no harm reserving an optional tour in advance. You are not charged until after the tour is completed

Are you sure about this? I've pasted the language from Avalon's Terms and Conditions below. They say that if you can cancel up to 11 days prior to your vacation, but after that, you'll be charged full price.

FueScience

Changes and cancellations can be made by visiting our Web site. You are able to make changes to or cancel additional shore excursions purchased online up to 11 days prior to the commencement of your Avalon vacation, except non-refundable additional shore excursions as noted below. There is no penalty or cancellation fee for making changes or cancellations to refundable shore excursion purchases up to this time. A refund will be made immediately to the credit card that you used to purchase the shore excursion. However, from 10 days prior to the commencement of your vacation forward, no cancellations can be accepted and therefore a 100% cancellation fee applies. Shore excursions listed as non-refundable in the description will incur 100% cancellation penalties for any revisions or cancellations. Any request for refund is subject to these Terms and Conditions for Additional Shore Excursions.

Shore excursion purchases are non-transferable. They cannot be exchanged on cruise with another excursion or transferred to another person.

Are you sure about this? I've pasted the language from Avalon's Terms and Conditions below. They say that if you can cancel up to 11 days prior to your vacation, but after that, you'll be charged full price.

FueScience

Changes and cancellations can be made by visiting our Web site. You are able to make changes to or cancel additional shore excursions purchased online up to 11 days prior to the commencement of your Avalon vacation, except non-refundable additional shore excursions as noted below. There is no penalty or cancellation fee for making changes or cancellations to refundable shore excursion purchases up to this time. A refund will be made immediately to the credit card that you used to purchase the shore excursion. However, from 10 days prior to the commencement of your vacation forward, no cancellations can be accepted and therefore a 100% cancellation fee applies. Shore excursions listed as non-refundable in the description will incur 100% cancellation penalties for any revisions or cancellations. Any request for refund is subject to these Terms and Conditions for Additional Shore Excursions.

Shore excursion purchases are non-transferable. They cannot be exchanged on cruise with another excursion or transferred to another person.

You are correct. You pay when you book, but can receive refund if you cancel according to their terms. We always book in advance which means less on your final bill (if anything) at the end of the cruise. Just a convenience thing for us and have never been disappointed in any of the ones we have done.

Cole

Re the Anne Frank House. We visited on our own post cruise. Ordered the tix beforehand. But if you don't have pre or post days in Ams I would recommend trying for ships tour. The ship's tour always works with the mealtimes.