Craziest thing you've seen another passenger do

danielbriere

So I guess I kinda have a story to contribute. Unfortunately, the perpetrator was yours truly.

A few years ago, my husband and I took a babymoon cruise to Alaska (RCI). He really wanted to attend the Love and Marriage game show but I was already in stretch pants and a t shirt for the night, and it didn't start till 10 p.m.. I even already had my contacts out and was wearing my coke bottle glasses. Well, he essentially begged so I told him I'd walk down to the theater with him and stay a few mins but I wasn't changing. This was satisfactory to him. So off we went. When we got there, my husband thought it'd be "funny" to enter us into the contest thinking there's no way we'd ever get picked because of the amount of people there. Well guess who got picked 😠

So up we went, in all my frumpy, coke bottle and pajama clad glory.

We actually ended up winning, so there's that. But for the rest of the week it was replayed on the TV.

We kind of had the same experience in 2001 on our 25th anniversary cruise. We took our two college-aged daughters with us. They had the newlywed game (same thing as love and marriage game) and we went to watch it. We had ZERO intention of getting on. They asked for who was the newest married, who was the 10th anniversary and then who had 25th anniversary. Well we ducked down low - it was our actual 25th anniversary that very day! Our precious oldest daughter stood straight up and called out to the stage "Right HERE! IT's my parents' 25th anniversary today!!!" I could have died. Off we went to the stage. Of course the younger couples were kind of plastered and they answered really dumb things, they didn't do well on the quiz. The older couple didn't really get it. We thoughtfully answered the questions but didn't hold back on the embarrassing answers for our daughters - they put us up there, they got to hear what they got to hear! The worst was like you said -- it was podcast every day over and over on the tv! People were stopping us in port and repeating our answers, calling them out to us across the street!

My neighbor in NJ is a Bayonne Fireman. He states when the ships come in it is rare when they are not sent there for one reason or another.

A little off topic but it is rare that the ship does the Bermuda run without having at least one fatality from the scooters in Bermuda.

I must respectfully disagree. If you look at this chart, these are deaths for ALL traffic accidents, not just scooters. Even further, it doesn't specify local or tourist so that brings down the number even more for tourists that could be either fly ins or cruisers. So it's not possible to have at least one fatality on a sailing. A number of years ago, Bermuda was averaging one scooter death per month but that was locals.

http://bernews.com/2015/01/586-road-deaths-since-1962/

Back on topic.:) Gentleman at our table that always knew more or a better way for any and everything. His nose was bent out of shape when one night the table next to us was getting served first. It was pretty evident that those sitting at the table were some sort of VIPs judging by the number of officers that stopped to chat. His wife was always 2...ummm make that 3, sheets to the wind. She probably drank to put up with him.

Three elderly, two female and one male seemed to be sailing together, maybe it was a Ménage à Trois.:D They were always arguing and complaining. One day one of women cornered an officer and ranting about how it was the worst cruise she had ever been on, blah, blah, blah. Another time they were the first off the elevator and proceeded to argue in front of the elevator so no one else could get off and no one could get on. Then one "lady" gave the man a good whack with her cane.

Full elevator stops and usually one more person could squeeze in but not two "fluffy" ladies. Somehow they managed to get in but instead of the doors closing... ding, ding, ding, light flashing, overload, overload. People were saying they need to get off but they refused until they realized the elevator was not going anywhere.

Probably the worst collective complaint I encountered was shortly after 911. Cruise was supposed to leave out of Manhattan but, of course couldn't, so we had to leave out of Baltimore. Enough people complained about the inconvenience so Celebrity gave us all a 25% discount on a future cruise. We had no idea we were getting the discount and when we found out, didn't understand why, it was like blood money.:(

An awful moment on QM2. There was an American gent who clearly had a prosthetic leg. He was walking through a public area and another passenger - to me it looked deliberately - walked straight into him. The gent fell very heavily and this guy just looked and kept walking. I could hear the smack of the contact. I ran over to the gent and made sure he was ok and them helped him walk to a seat. I yelled at the other guy who just shrugged and walked on. I was disgusted and once the other guy seemed better I went straight down to security and reported him. I have never been so angry at mans inhumanity to man.

On the same cruise I was seated at a hosted table which means on formal night we were seated with officers. In this case it was the Engineers so we got to know them well over a few wines. They would stop and chat if they met us later and one was doing just that. This woman came up to him - grabbed hold of his shoulder epaulette and said - "you are an officer. You are a Doctor?" He said politely "No ma'am I'm an engineer". To which she brushed his shoulder then stormed off. We were mirthless with laughter.

Funny how this thread keeps reminding us of stuff.

• Like 1

I must respectfully disagree. If you look at this chart, these are deaths for ALL traffic accidents, not just scooters. Even further, it doesn't specify local or tourist so that brings down the number even more for tourists that could be either fly ins or cruisers. So it's not possible to have at least one fatality on a sailing. A number of years ago, Bermuda was averaging one scooter death per month but that was locals.

(

I perhaps used the word run improperly, I meant it to mean the Bermuda run for a season, sorry for any misunderstanding. Of course they don't have a fatality per sailing but for the season it is very likely.

There are theater seat savers on every cruise, but our last Silhouette cruise was extreme. Every night, we'd go to the theater 1/2 before the show and watch the antics of the seat savers. The seat savers would stand sentry over entire rows. One night, the 'gentleman' in front of us was guarding his row well into the show, waiting for his 12 best friends to straggle in. In the meantime, couples that he turned away, had to split up to find single seats left over by other seat savers. After debarkation, the same man was in front of us in the taxi queue. When the podium attendant motioned for him and his wife to take the next cab, he threw a temper tantrum because the driver refused to cross the security line to pick him and his wife up, forcing him to walk twenty feet to jump into the cab. As they pulled their suitcases along, he was screaming at his wife that he's never doing this again.

Same cruise, last night. The theater seats on the main level were filled early, as usual. I spotted some prime seats at the balcony rail, a whole row empty, except for the sentry stationed at one end. We went up to the balcony and entered his row from the opposite end, sat down, rested our drinks on the rail. Two women approached and asked if we were saving the seats next to us. We stepped out and allowed them seats and struck up a conversation. The sentry noticed that we had claimed four seats in 'his row' and told us we had to move because the seats were saved for his wife and her friends. I told him that reserving seats isn't allowed, just as the 'reserving seats is not allowed' announcement came over the theater speakers. His wife and her friends showed up 5 minutes into the show. She was peeved that he had failed in his duties to save the row and after a tongue lashing, gave him an icy shoulder throughout the show.

People watching on that cruise was very interesting.

A little off topic but it is rare that the ship does the Bermuda run without having at least one fatality from the scooters in Bermuda.

Don, not so. It looks like there are about 10 road deaths per year from all sources.

Sorry, I did not see BDA's post with the same article.

We have seen some funny things in our 16 years of cruising. The latest easily comes to mind.

On an Oceania last week, DH and I were the only occupants in an elevator . We were standing in the back of a long and narrow car. The door opens up and a woman walks in, goes to the wall in the opposite direction of the elevator buttons and then says very loudly, "Deck 12." She wanted one of us to do it for her. We did not budge. The elevator started again and went up one floor. When a couple of more passengers got on, this same woman yelled "Deck 12. Did you push 12?" They pushed the button only because that's where they were going. This woman had no please, no thank you, nada!

The story of the man being pushed down by another passenger reminds me of when my brother was hit by a car as he was biking in the country. The gentleman driver stopped the car, rolled down his window, looked down at my brother slayed on the road, and said "you look alright." And then he drove away! :YIKES:

An awful moment on QM2. There was an American gent who clearly had a prosthetic leg. He was walking through a public area and another passenger - to me it looked deliberately - walked straight into him. The gent fell very heavily and this guy just looked and kept walking. I could hear the smack of the contact. I ran over to the gent and made sure he was ok and them helped him walk to a seat. I yelled at the other guy who just shrugged and walked on. I was disgusted and once the other guy seemed better I went straight down to security and reported him. I have never been so angry at mans inhumanity to man.

Funny how this thread keeps reminding us of stuff.

This happened on Silhouette on Veteran's Day. MY DH, a veteran, and I were waiting for the elevator alone. We were joined by an elderly couple, she using a cane, and he in a scooter, proudly wearing his WW11 hat and an American flag attached to his scooter.

My DH and I thanked him for his service and shook hands. The elevator door opened and other passengers were stepping around us. The elevator was too full for all of us and his scooter.

Even though the four of us were first, we missed the elevator and waited for the next one.

The door opened, people got out, and other passengers started stepping around us.

My DH quickly spanned the elevator opening with his arms and said "Come on Pop's, we're getting on this elevator'. And we did.

Every time they saw us, they could not thank us enough.

Happy Valentine's Day and Thank you for your service !!!!

• Like 1

Then there was our most recent cruise where I was the one who packed on the last night, put out our luggage and, about an hour later, realised I had failed to keep a shirt for the next morning. The very efficient crew had already taken the bags. Not wanting to walk off the ship topless (I fortunately don't sleep in the nude) I wore my pajama tops, which did not look all that obvious. As soon as we retrieved the luggage, I opened a bag and removed a light jacket which I used to cover up my mistake.

I will tell one on myself. On a Reflection cruise, I went to bed and the turn-down chocolate had fallen down off of the pillow. So my wife and I are sleeping and a couple hours later I wake up to find something dark all over the sheets and my wife...at first fearing it was blood. Once we turned the lights on we saw it was chocolate that had melted everywhere...even in my wife's hair. Needless to say she was not happy at having to take a shower at 2:00am. Also, I felt I needed to bring the cabin steward in the next morning in person to explain to him that it was chocolate and not something else:D He said it happens all the time.

Same thing happened to me twice on the Infinity in 2007

2016 November Silly out of Civitavechia: VERY large lady in the hot tub holding everyone hostage---blocking the entrance/exit-- talking so loudly you could hear her for miles. She arrived in Rome, took a cab and the driver would not take her "good American money" as he wanted ooo-rows. She was quivering with anger! He asked her to go into her hotel and get said ooo-rows. She was outraged as she gave the hotel $50 of her good American money but only got 45 ooo-rows back! Lady, stay home!! HA!

I was just reminding of a dining room story. We were on a 15 night TA and sat at a table of 8 in the MDR. Next to us was a couple who sat alone every night. Probably about 70 and not sure of nationality as they never spoke one word the whole 15 nights and he had the same food each night.. a plate of french fries which he ate with his fingers. I guess he is not interested in trying new foods

We were on the Celebrity Zenith. One evening an elderly couple, sitting a couple of tables away, where one of them was very drunk. She threw up all over the table and then passed out with her head dropping on the table in the middle of the mess she created. Ya it kinda took away my appetite too.

Although this didn't actually happen to me, friends of ours told us this funny story about their first cruise, years ago. They had met another couple on board and struck up a friendship. The other couple mentioned to them in passing that one night very late, they happened to be on deck and and noticed something that looked like a large white bag going over the side of the ship. The rumour at the time was that cruise lines were throwing garbage overboard in the middle of the night. The couple reported it to a ship's officer who assured them that they were not throwing anything overboard.

Our friends knew the couple's cabin number, and as a joke, slid a note under their cabin door that said "Keep your mouths shut or you'll be the ones going overboard in a big white bag." The next day, they waited for the other couple to say something about the note so they could all have a laugh but the couple never mentioned it and eventually they forgot all about it. However when debarking a few days later, they heard an older couple speaking at the gangway to others about how they had had a threatening note put under their cabin door and that they had been very frightened. Apparently my friends had put the note under the wrong door.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

• Haha 1

Although this didn't actually happen to me, friends of ours told us this funny story about their first cruise, years ago. They had met another couple on board and struck up a friendship. The other couple mentioned to them in passing that one night very late, they happened to be on deck and and noticed something that looked like a large white bag going over the side of the ship. The rumour at the time was that cruise lines were throwing garbage overboard in the middle of the night. The couple reported it to a ship's officer who assured them that they were not throwing anything overboard.

Our friends knew the couple's cabin number, and as a joke, slid a note under their cabin door that said "Keep your mouths shut or you'll be the ones going overboard in a big white bag." The next day, they waited for the other couple to say something about the note so they could all have a laugh but the couple never mentioned it and eventually they forgot all about it. However when debarking a few days later, they heard an older couple speaking at the gangway to others about how they had had a threatening note put under their cabin door and that they had been very frightened. Apparently my friends had put the note under the wrong door.

That is a CRAZY STORY!!!! Probably my favorite so far! Now that's a joke gone wrong if I ever heard one.

Dan

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Couple "C" - Honeymooners who didn't participate at all in the tables' conversation....Think they just wanted to get on w/their honeymoon.

We asked to change tables for dinner the next night and ended up meeting fabulous tablemates, some whom we still stay in touch with.

Similar thing happened to us.

We were on our first cruise with RCL and they changed our Traditional to Anytime dinning. We complained and had to talk to the Maitre d'. He changed us to Traditional.

Showed up for dinner and our table was right as you walk into the dining room. One couple was newlyweds and didn't want to talk to anyone. The other couple said they mostly do the specialty restaurants so, don't wait for them to show up. When we went back to our cabin, we had been assigned to anther traditional table on another deck. Table was in the same area as the other deck but all our table mates were great.

Made us both laugh our loud. Thank you. So funny !

...Couple "C" - Honeymooners who didn't participate at all in the tables' conversation....Think they just wanted to get on w/their honeymoon.

We asked to change tables for dinner the next night and ended up meeting fabulous tablemates, some whom we still stay in touch with.

Possibly the honeymooners didn't care for their tablemates, wanted a table for two and didn't want to move. :D

We have seen some funny things in our 16 years of cruising. The latest easily comes to mind.

On an Oceania last week, DH and I were the only occupants in an elevator . We were standing in the back of a long and narrow car. The door opens up and a woman walks in, goes to the wall in the opposite direction of the elevator buttons and then says very loudly, "Deck 12." She wanted one of us to do it for her. We did not budge. The elevator started again and went up one floor. When a couple of more passengers got on, this same woman yelled "Deck 12. Did you push 12?" They pushed the button only because that's where they were going. This woman had no please, no thank you, nada!

The story of the man being pushed down by another passenger reminds me of when my brother was hit by a car as he was biking in the country. The gentleman driver stopped the car, rolled down his window, looked down at my brother slayed on the road, and said "you look alright." And then he drove away! :YIKES:

I had a lady plow into my car back at a stop light when I was in college. I had inherited the old car from my grandmother. The bumper was totally smashed in. She gets out takes a look & says "It's an old car" & takes off. I got her plate & called the cops. they actually brought her to my house(lived with the parents at the time) And talked to us about it. She gave us crap for her "inconvenience" the cop asked if we wanted to press charges. I simply said "Book her Danno!" the cop laughed cuffed her & booked her downtown.

Wasn't crazy, just hilarious, my family and I decided to go down to the promenade deck and watch people embarking the ship when another lady walked up to our group. She didn't say anything for a minute then looked down and said to us "Did you know there's water down there?" We all nodded and agreed and she stood there silently for a few more minutes and walked away. Once she was out of sight of us we all started laughing so hard it hurt. I'm not sure if you could get that drunk on embark day, but hey who knows. So now when we get on the ship the first thing we say to each other is "Did you know there's water down there???"