Favorite Viking itinerary? Trying to decide on our next...

Sparky333

I know everyone has different likes/dislikes but I'd love to hear if there are certain favorite itineraries that people recommend.

We've taken 4 with Viking and enjoyed them in this order

1. Portugal - Douro

2. Eastern Europe - Danube

3. China - Yangtze

4. Rhine Getaway

In general I like the off-the-beaten-path or more unique locations which is why the Rhine is low on the list - it was great but just not as 'different' as the others. We bought a future sailing certificate on our most recent so I'm specifically interested in Viking not just favorite regions or rivers.

I've spent time in Russia, Egypt, and Vietnam so I probably wouldn't consider those. Maybe the Ukraine itinerary deserves a look but I'm guessing my husband will say the current political climate would be a reason he won't go there.

Again, I know it's very individual but do you have a favorite you'd give a shout-out for?

We too have done several Viking river cruises, 8 to be exact and one Oceans with another in April 2018. Our favorite was the Grand European from Amsterdam to Budapest, we'd actually do it again someday. Would like to do the Elbe but there seem to be too many water issues so will do that independently by auto.

Enjoy your planning.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We are wine lovers, and in particular, Bordeaux. So Bordeaux is the tour I'd most like to repeat.

But I wouldn't recommend it to anyone who isn't a wine buff.

Last year we did the Grand European Tour even though we'd done two trips previously that covered the same route. Reason was that the GET was two weeks and all previous ones were one week. After a week is we delicious to know that, instead of being turfed out of the all embracing comfort of Viking, we had another week of it.

Also, we didn't feel obliged to take tours we'd already been on, instead we just relaxed on the boat. One of the most relaxing vacations we've been on.

The Douro was incredible scenery but we wouldn't book it again unless we could go straight to Oporto to start the trip.

We have done the same cruises on Viking as you have except we have not done the Douro, instead we have done the Lyon and Provence. I would suggest that one as that part of France is beautiful. We did a pre-cruise in Nice and post-cruise in Paris on that one, which made that cruise especially nice and fun. We have not done the Paris to Normandy one yet, but have heard that it is worth doing, so you might look into that one.

We did "Portraits of Southern France" Lyon to Avignon in the spring and absolutely loved it. The Roman aqueduct at Pont du Garde alone was worth it for me. Did post cruise in Nice via Viking but booked a private tour of gorgeous Eze, St Paul de Vance and others. Nice area is easy to tour on your own. See Rick Steven who irritates the hell outa me but has great advice.

We did "Portraits of Southern France" Lyon to Avignon in the spring and absolutely loved it. The Roman aqueduct at Pont du Garde alone was worth it for me..

We are not Viking cruisers but have done the Rhone twice with other lines and it is our all time favorite itinerary.

...Maybe the Ukraine itinerary deserves a look but I'm guessing my husband will say the current political climate would be a reason he won't go there....
I did the Dnepr with Viking in 2011. The highlights of the trip were Kiev, Yalta, Sevastopol and Odessa. Unfortunately the middle two are no longer on the itinerary due to political changes. Areas in the Ukraine that are in political and military turmoil are far from the area of the current river cruise. The river itself was pretty unexciting. I'll add another vote for the Rhone.

We've done four Viking cruises, and I would also recommend the Rhone. Lots of history, great food and wine, beautiful scenery. Our other cruises were the Seine, Rhone, and Douro and we have enjoyed them all....kinda like choosing your favorite child!

We loved Viking's Portraits of Southern France cruise. We arrived in Avignon a few days early to have a good tour of the town at our pace; we especially enjoyed the Palace of the Popes. Over recent visits to France we have been working our way south starting in St. Malo several years ago. We agree like the south the best so far. It is a very special place with quirky and authentic French villages; the baguettes and berets are for real not for tourists.;-) The wine is delicious!! The scenery is beautiful with millions (seriously) of grape vines on sunny sloped hills, The orgainzed tours for the most part were very interesting and informative. Viking does a decent job in finding good guides The tour to Arles however was OK and we were anxious to see the Roman ruins but our tour guide was not feeling well and it showed, we were happy to get back on the bus actually. Vivieres and Vienne are small enough to explore your own although the orgazined tours were well done. Over all we enjoyed the tour to the Chateauneuf du Pape; it was a big hit with my husband and it wasn't just the generous wine tasting opportunities! lHe enjoyed learning about the science of growning grapes and making wine. From Lyon we took the optional tour to the medival town of Perouges about an hour away by coach. The buildings are interesting and we were not surprised to learn there are many period movies made there. It was a long ways out by coach and back the same way via motorway and in some real traffic jams so we still can't decide if it was worth the long trip and the extra cost. Some people love it.

We stayed an extra five days, once we completed the cruise, in Lyon and if you are a foodie this city will really ring your chimes. We didn't have one bad meal the whole time although we did use Tripadvisor quite a bit. We took a side trip to Grenoble by train and back same day; a long day but well worth it.

Overall we rated this Viking Cruise a 9 out of 10. Amazing first rate staff and beautiful warm sunny weather were factors as was the very pleasant company of our fellow Viking passergers.

Wow - thank you so much for all of the wonderful, helpful responses! I'll look into each one mentioned - it sounds like there are quite a few great possibilities. The Rhone seems to get a lot of votes - I'll look hard at that one.

Thanks again :D

I know everyone has different likes/dislikes but I'd love to hear if there are certain favorite itineraries that people recommend.

We've taken 4 with Viking and enjoyed them in this order

1. Portugal - Douro

2. Eastern Europe - Danube

3. China - Yangtze

4. Rhine Getaway

In general I like the off-the-beaten-path or more unique locations which is why the Rhine is low on the list - it was great but just not as 'different' as the others. We bought a future sailing certificate on our most recent so I'm specifically interested in Viking not just favorite regions or rivers.

I've spent time in Russia, Egypt, and Vietnam so I probably wouldn't consider those. Maybe the Ukraine itinerary deserves a look but I'm guessing my husband will say the current political climate would be a reason he won't go there.

Again, I know it's very individual but do you have a favorite you'd give a shout-out for?

There are three good French cruises. I can sure recommend the Southern France one and we are about to take the Normandy one.

There are three good French cruises. I can sure recommend the Southern France one and we are about to take the Normandy one.
IMO Viking shot themselves in the foot putting longboats on the Seine. The longboats are too long to get into either Paris or Honfleur, and they sail only between Le Pecq and Rouen. Before signing up for a Seine cruise compare iteneraries between lines.

We're thinking of Paris - Normandy next spring. Please let us know how it goes.