Trip Cancellation

chumley28540

My husband was recently diagnosed with throat cancer and will probably begin radiation therapy in the next few weeks. We are booked on the 4/29 med cruise. Have insurance. Have not made final pymt . Would you go ahead and make final pymt and hope for the best?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Boy sorry about your husband. How long is threapy scheduled? I only did a little skin cancer and had to do 4 weeks of 2 days each week. I couldnt have gone during it. i also had to do several pre visits, for consultation, then mapping (where they would do the radiation). The follow up visits i could have rearranged bur during the radiation, i had to commit to twice a week, 4 weeks in a row that could not be missed. But for skin cancer, they do a lower dose of radiation that doesnt make you sick, but stretches it out. Need to know from the doctor how long radiation will last.

throat cancer might require multiple visits per week that cant be missed, in a row, id find that out first before I decided to make final payment.

Edited by firefly333

Sorry to hear about your DH. I would ask his doctor what he thinks regarding his ability to make the trip. I know personally if I was remotely physically capable of the long flight I'd rather be on a cruise ship than in my bedroom at home. Good luck no matter what.

So sorry to hear about your husband, prayers and thoughts coming your way for a complete recovery. As far as the cruise goes, being a Med trip, so far from home, doctors and country, I personally would not chance something happening abroad or him not feeling well enough to enjoy. I would cancel and put all my time, effort and emotion into getting him through the next few months (hopefully it will be that short) and then recovery. I could not plan and execute major trip like that myself during such a critical time in our lives BUT I would put it on the back burner to celebrate once the whole ordeal is over and he was feeling like himself again. Just my opinion and what would would for our family but good luck and speedy treatment and recovery for your husband. :)

Boy sorry about your husband. How long is threapy scheduled? I only did a little skin cancer and had to do 4 weeks of 2 days each week. I couldnt have gone during it. i also had to do several pre visits, for consultation, then mapping (where they would do the radiation) and i think one more and then several follow up which i could have missed.

throat cancer might require multiple visits per week that cant be missed, in a row, id find that out first before I decided to make final payment.

Just getting set up and getting everything scheduled. I am hoping treatment would be done by cruise time.

Very sorry to hear about your DH. I personally would not take the trip if I were in your shoes as I’m not sure insurance would cover me cancelling the trip. I always thought insurance is for the unforeseen and unexpected circumstances.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Just getting set up and getting everything scheduled. I am hoping treatment would be done by cruise time.

If treatment will be done by then, go. You can always be less active, miss some dinners and take it easy on the cruise. But id find out the schedule before deciding. call the doctor to see if you can find out if he will be donen by then, and then decide. maybe a laid back cruise would work.

My prayers are with you. I survived throat cancer 16 years ago. If your husband's situation was like mine, I was not able to travel for more than six months after I began treatment. If I were in your shoes, I would reschedule the cruise for about a year away. The travel insurance you purchased may transfer to the new cruise if you bought the insurance prior to the cancer diagnose. God bless.

Edited by Purvis1231
typo

I'm sorry that your husband and you are going through this, and wish him all the best in a full and speedy recovery.

This is just my two cents regarding a similar (albeit way minor) situation that my sister and I went through. She broke her ankle on a Halloween cruise, got home, had major surgery and was incapacitated for a few months. We had a cruise scheduled for the next February and debated everyday, if she was going to be able to cruise.

It was stressful trying to get her healed and rehabbed and all the while worrying about planning and preparing for our cruise.......We ultimately decided that we would cancel the cruise. We just couldn't be sure that she would have the stamina to be on a large ship, I was really tired after months of caregiving and we had insurance to cover any loss.

It was the best decision for us, and I felt a weight lifted off my shoulders once the decision was made.

Maybe it would be best to focus entirely on his recovery, not just during the period during his treatments but also in the weeks after. He may need some time to fully regain his stamina and be able to enjoy himself. Travel to Europe is in itself challenging.

Hopefully, he will not deal with any lingering side affects, and if you and he feel up to it, go jump on a last minute cruise at a closer homeport.

I wish you all the best in what ever decision you make.

Very sorry to hear about your DH. I personally would not take the trip if I were in your shoes as I’m not sure insurance would cover me cancelling the trip. I always thought insurance is for the unforeseen and unexpected circumstances.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Pre-existing conditions are the only medical concern that might negate most insurance plans, and only if not purchased within 10-15 days of booking the cruise... if something medical comes up after you book and pay for insurance, it should be covered.

OP- my prayers are with you and your husband. As others have said, I'd talk to his doctor about the cruise, then call your insurance agent to understand your options there... then you and your husband can decide what your next steps are.

God bless...

Pre-existing conditions are the only medical concern that might negate most insurance plans, and only if not purchased within 10-15 days of booking the cruise... if something medical comes up after you book and pay for insurance, it should be covered.

God bless...

However,,,, OP does have a responsibility to mitigate any losses.

If OP cancels now, neither the OP nor the insurance company will experience any monetary loss.

However, the OP either knows or should have known that the possibility exists that should a cancellation be required prior to the cruise, there will be a monetary loss experienced.

The insurance company didn't sign up for a known or upcoming loss.

OP should either cancel now, or wait and risk losing everything.

However,,,, OP does have a responsibility to mitigate any losses.

If OP cancels now, neither the OP nor the insurance company will experience any monetary loss.

However, the OP either knows or should have known that the possibility exists that should a cancellation be required prior to the cruise, there will be a monetary loss experienced.

The insurance company didn't sign up for a known or upcoming loss.

OP should either cancel now, or wait and risk losing everything.

I've seen that clause in homeowners insurance policies, have never seen it in a travel insurance policy (and in my state it has to be clearly included or it doesn't count and in order for them to sell any insurance in my state it must comply with state law).

I took a Carribean cruise about 4 weeks after finishing radiation for breast cancer (6 weeks of 5-day-per-week treatment). We had cancelled and rebooked in order to fit with the medical schedule.

When we headed for port, I felt pretty good, still had a lot of fatigue.

It was good to get on a ship and just relax. No excursions. Plenty of naps. Lots of time just reading or watching the water from a balcony or a public area.

On the other hand, for me a Med cruise would have me wanting to see things in every port, and I don't think I would have been up to that at the time.

I asked my insurance expert about this scenario.

The Doctor has to be the first person in the chain of this decision.

If the Doctor advises that the patient should not travel, then they need to cancel immediately

The insurance company will not pay out any more than what would have been lost if the cancellation had taken place at the time the Doctor advised the patient not to travel.

However, it's very important to get the Dr.s opinion in writing and talk to your insurance company and get their answer in writing.

My dad had throat cancer. His surgery was very taxing. Once radiation was over, they found he needed a second surgery. He was exhausted for several months. Once full payment is due, you should have a better idea of what to do, but I can’t imagine my dad ready to go just a few months later.

Cancel the cruise , rebook it when you know all is well. You have no idea how your husband will react during the treatments. My good friend had breast cancer last Jan . It had matesticied (sp) she underwent surgery and treatments and didn't have any sickness from Chemo until the last treatment. Then in April they found out she had stage 4 bladder cancer.:eek: went through more treatments and had her bladder removed and a bag inserted.....now follow me ....during this time she and her husband went to Hilton Head for a week, Williamsburgh for a week, 3 weeks on a land/ cruise Great Brit adventure with land part in London and Paris....10 days in China...and a week in Myrtle Beach. She lost weight and looks great. Lost hair but her wigs looked real and better than her own hair...now...her husband just had an out patient treatment on freezing something down below....and they had to cancel all the Christmas plans and stay home. Need I remind you She is a female and he is a male....Case closed...Cancel the cruise and God Bless.