Bermuda w/ toddler

patsnation18

Looking for input from those who've cruised to Bermuda with a toddler. Hoping for excursion suggestions that would appeal to a 3 1/2 year old. We plan on doing a beach day, but with 3 full days in port, need a few other options as well.

TIA!

Looking for input from those who've cruised to Bermuda with a toddler. Hoping for excursion suggestions that would appeal to a 3 1/2 year old. We plan on doing a beach day, but with 3 full days in port, need a few other options as well.

TIA!

If you haven't done so already, be sure to check out the Bermuda Port of Call forum. Excellent resource for finding out everything from excursions to transportation, etc.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=196

Some of the things we've done when my nephew was a toddler-5 or so in various ports. .. sailing and snorkeling (he wore a vest and was happy jumping around in the water), or just going to the beautiful Bermuda beach. And the train ride around the port in Bermuda. Have fun!

We did swimming with the dolphins when our grandaughter was that age. I booked directly through the venue because it had an experience suitable for that age plus it was much cheaper. She stood on the ledge instead of sitting.

good to know, I think she'd love that. She loves fish and marine animals. I noticed the NCL offered excursions were only for age 5 and up, so this is helpful.

Some of the things we've done when my nephew was a toddler-5 or so in various ports. .. sailing and snorkeling (he wore a vest and was happy jumping around in the water), or just going to the beautiful Bermuda beach. And the train ride around the port in Bermuda. Have fun!

Definitely going to look into the train ride....she love love loves trains

Definitely going to look into the train ride....she love love loves trains

Sorry not really a train.

A little rubber tire trolley with a few trailer car's take's you 1/8 of a mile from the ship to the mall with a few stops in between.:D

Free

We did swimming with the dolphins when our grandaughter was that age. I booked directly through the venue because it had an experience suitable for that age plus it was much cheaper. She stood on the ledge instead of sitting.

I've done a few dolphin swims & encounters in different locations & can't imagine a child that age participating. Naturally, it depends on the child but unless she's able to stay very focused, I'd look for other things to keep her entertained.

Following! We did Bermuda last year when my son was about 10 months. We did Snorkel Park, Horseshoe Bay, and Aquarium (its nothing crazy but he loved it), with shopping in Hamilton after. This time around he will be a year and half, so looking for some additional options, as well!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We just went in September with our 1 1/5 year old, so a little younger. We kept it really low key though. First day we took the free ferry to St. George. Walked around, had lunch, took a taxi to Tobacco Bay for a couple of hours. Second day we took a taxi to horseshoe bay for 1/2 the day. Then walked around the dockyard that afternoon. We actually left this day because of a hurricane, but we had planned our last day to do a boat tour right out of the dock yard for the morning. All in all we had a blast!

We just went in September with our 1 1/5 year old, so a little younger. We kept it really low key though. First day we took the free ferry to St. George. Walked around, had lunch, took a taxi to Tobacco Bay for a couple of hours. Second day we took a taxi to horseshoe bay for 1/2 the day. Then walked around the dockyard that afternoon. We actually left this day because of a hurricane, but we had planned our last day to do a boat tour right out of the dock yard for the morning. All in all we had a blast!

I like the idea of the ferry to St. George and Tobacco Bay! How did Tobacco Bat compare to Horseshoe?

I like the idea of the ferry to St. George and Tobacco Bay! How did Tobacco Bat compare to Horseshoe?

Horseshoe was much larger and nicer in my opinion, but we did have a fun few hours at Tobacco Bay. I think it is definitely worth a visit if you go over to visit St George, which was really fun to walk around and have lunch.

Horseshoe was much larger and nicer in my opinion, but we did have a fun few hours at Tobacco Bay. I think it is definitely worth a visit if you go over to visit St George, which was really fun to walk around and have lunch.

Also, I'll add Horseshoe got really crowded. I didn't find Tobacco bay as crowded even though it is a bit smaller. We went to horseshoe first thing in the morning and left around 11:30am. It was perfect as the crowds were starting to really arrive.

We did Bermuda with our dd when she was 3 1/2. Loved that trip. The first day was Horseshoe Bay. Either bring (or buy on the ship/in port) sand toys. There is a pink bus for an express ride to and from Horseshoe Bay. You just have to walk to mid pier and you'll see where you buy tickets. The last bus left around 6:00 and we were on that one. Could have even stayed longer. The hill is very steep down to the beach. We walked down but paid the $2 to ride the little van back up. That's where the bus back to the pier stops. There is the main big area of the bay and that's where we spent most of the day, but after we turned in our chairs and umbrella, we walked to the right to Baby Beach. That's a little protected cove with very still water. That was very easy for dd to play in and a great end to a perfect day.

That was Wednesday and downtown Hamilton has a street festival each week. (check to see if they still do) We took the ferry there and walked around, bought some crafts and had fun. DD met a little girl waiting in the ferry line and became fast friends.

The second day we did an NCL excursion for a catamaran/snorkel trip. That was dd's first snorkeling experience - without the actual snorkel. She loved that cat ride. She work her puddle jumper and swim goggles in the water and just looked at the fish as long as she could hold her breath. Super excited when she saw fish! On the ride back she stretched out on the bench and feel asleep. Another awesome day.

The last day was the day we were leaving and we didn't want to go to far on our own and not get back in time, so we walked to snorkel park. Again we brought the sand toys and just hung at the beach. It's pretty disappointing after being to Horseshoe Bay, but it's easy and we still had fun. DD saw her friend from the ferry, so it was all good.

There are a lot of fun things to do with kids in Bermuda if you don't just want water and beach. The caves are cool (did that before dd), there's an aquarium (haven't been to that) and everything is easy to get to on your own with a ferry and bus pass.

We did Bermuda with our dd when she was 3 1/2. Loved that trip. The first day was Horseshoe Bay. Either bring (or buy on the ship/in port) sand toys. There is a pink bus for an express ride to and from Horseshoe Bay. You just have to walk to mid pier and you'll see where you buy tickets. The last bus left around 6:00 and we were on that one. Could have even stayed longer. The hill is very steep down to the beach. We walked down but paid the $2 to ride the little van back up. That's where the bus back to the pier stops. There is the main big area of the bay and that's where we spent most of the day, but after we turned in our chairs and umbrella, we walked to the right to Baby Beach. That's a little protected cove with very still water. That was very easy for dd to play in and a great end to a perfect day.

That was Wednesday and downtown Hamilton has a street festival each week. (check to see if they still do) We took the ferry there and walked around, bought some crafts and had fun. DD met a little girl waiting in the ferry line and became fast friends.

The second day we did an NCL excursion for a catamaran/snorkel trip. That was dd's first snorkeling experience - without the actual snorkel. She loved that cat ride. She work her puddle jumper and swim goggles in the water and just looked at the fish as long as she could hold her breath. Super excited when she saw fish! On the ride back she stretched out on the bench and feel asleep. Another awesome day.

The last day was the day we were leaving and we didn't want to go to far on our own and not get back in time, so we walked to snorkel park. Again we brought the sand toys and just hung at the beach. It's pretty disappointing after being to Horseshoe Bay, but it's easy and we still had fun. DD saw her friend from the ferry, so it was all good.

There are a lot of fun things to do with kids in Bermuda if you don't just want water and beach. The caves are cool (did that before dd), there's an aquarium (haven't been to that) and everything is easy to get to on your own with a ferry and bus pass.

Did you bring a car seat from home for her for to use in cabs/buses, etc. for excursions, or did you just have her sit on your lap, in between you and someone else? Debating if its worth even bringing her car seat and lugging it around. Guess I'm just unsure of if its 100% necessary

We never took a taxi, just buses and ferries. I don't remember if the buses in Bermuda had them, but most don't have seat belts so you can't use a car seat. We did have a small, portable travel seat that we used in the taxis to and from the airport but we never used it in Bermuda.

Did you bring a car seat from home for her for to use in cabs/buses, etc. for excursions, or did you just have her sit on your lap, in between you and someone else? Debating if its worth even bringing her car seat and lugging it around. Guess I'm just unsure of if its 100% necessary

We choose to use the ferries and busses so we don't have to bring a car seat. I would not allow my child to ride in a cab without one.

Edit to add: If we are flying to the port we take car seats for use on the plane and in cabs/car service to get between airport, hotel, and ship. But if we drive to the ship we leave the seat behind in our vehicle.

For us, we drove to port and left the car seat in the car. If we fly in we lug the car seat with us for airport to hotel/port transportation. In Bermuda we did take taxis without a car seat. It is completely up to you and what you feel comfortable with. We were comfortable taking taxis without car seats.

I was thinking of hitting the caves this time around. We did the aquarium last time. It's nothing great, but for a small kid, it definitely gets the job done! Horseshoe Bay was so beautiful. Definitely crowded but beautiful. I am thinking that we will try to do it again this time or Tobacco Bay instead.

It was busy when we were at Horseshoe too, but once we plopped down our two chairs, sunk our umbrella low and put dd in front of us to play, the rest of the people kind of disappeared. I really only noticed when we walked around.

In addition to going to the right to Baby beach we walked to the left and spent some time there. Hardly anyone over there and there are some very dramatic rocks.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Our first cruise with our son was my sister's wedding cruise to Bermuda. He was 2 (and newly diagnosed with autism). We did Horseshoe Beach but stayed in the baby beach area. We also took the ferry to Hamilton and then a taxi to the zoo and aquarium. Finally, we paddled a bit at Snorkel Park. There are other things that are definitely doable with a toddler but those all worked for us. Quite enjoyed the zoo and if he hadn't developed an instant and paralyzing fear of buses (sigh), we would have done a small beach up that way to fill out the day.

It was busy when we were at Horseshoe too, but once we plopped down our two chairs, sunk our umbrella low and put dd in front of us to play, the rest of the people kind of disappeared. I really only noticed when we walked around.

In addition to going to the right to Baby beach we walked to the left and spent some time there. Hardly anyone over there and there are some very dramatic rocks.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

The rocks to the left are so gorgeous!