No Next Day Stayover on my TA 15Nt. out of Orlando

ShakeDaddy

Sure, you might make I️t and chances are you PROBABLY will. However, why would anyone spend thousands of dollars on a cruise and be too cheap to spend as little as $100 for a hotel to insure they will make I️t on time. I️ understand sometimes the are circumstances that don’t let you go a day earlier, but this doesn’t sound like that is the case. $100 is worth I️t just not to worry. This is an ongoing debate.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

People, read the whole thread and especially the OP's attempts to keep everyone wound up.

While he may be "planning" to cut it close for his cruise, he is certainly allowing a lot of time for an April Fools thread.

I certainly hope this is a hoax. :) BUT, there are a lot of naive people out there, that do think like this.

I was overnight in Lax a few weeks ago, arriving from a flight from Santiago. I was on an early airport shuttle for a Kona flight the next am- sitting with 2 other parties. BOTH had missed their flights the day prior. One couple was ranting about missing a cruise out of Long Beach, because their short Oakland flight was delayed. They foolishly- thought a 1 hour window was fine, and didn't bother booking the first flight out (I asked them) because it was "early". Could of had 3 possible flights instead of just the 1 they backed themselves into a corner with and lost.

The other couple, were flying in the same day for a Hawaii package deal, that they also missed, no insurance, and a very costly "tour" (no clue why they weren't just renting cars, what they were doing was drive up???)

So, the thinking- it's "ok" is clearly out there.

They foolishly- thought a 1 hour window was fine, and didn't bother booking the first flight out (I asked them) because it was "early". Could of had 3 possible flights instead of just the 1 they backed themselves into a corner with and lost.

That's the key. You have to book the first flight out, or as close as possible, if you're doing same day on the West Coast. Try to avoid any flight past 8 AM. 9 AM is REALLY pushing it, but can be ok, if it's Southwest and it's one of the destinations with flights every hour. It's not the West Coast weather, but planes coming in from out of the area that can cause delays. The first one or two flights out are usually sitting at the airport ready to go, so little chance of weather delays. Plus, that early, and even if mechanical or crazy passenger delays, you've still got time to make it and/or switch planes.

I detect a wind up by the OP

Go for it. It's your holiday. Start it any way you want.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Yep, he IS winding us up with his plan.

Just out of curiosity, on your 15 day cruise is it a transatlantic? Where is your first port?

It's Bermuda.

Let's see if ShakeDaddy has Plan B in place - it's gonna cost him $2,000 - ten times more than it would cost him if he flew in the night before the cruise. And possibly more than the cruise itself.

One way flight to Bermuda is expensive as are 3 nights in hotels plus meals. His cruise gets into Bermuda 10 April.

Have you guys not seen the AZ spring weather?? Why wouldn't you think the 1st SWA flight out of Phx isn't going to land at least 20 minutes early, land at 12 nooner or sooner in ORL?? Driving from Airport to Cape C eastbound is soooo pretty easy all the way around.

No need to hurry up a day early and wait for 30 hours.

Won't even even miss same day 3pm Mustard..... Darn !! :halo:

As an retired travel agent I would NEVER advocate this plan of yours. I’m taking Koningsdam TA March 28,I live three hours away from FFL and will still drive down the night before,stay at airport hotel.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

One of the biggest waste of $$$ and hassles is staying overnight before your cruise out of Florida.

Anybody think I should be worried? Flying SWA out of Arizona 4/7 direct to Orlando landing @12:20pm, Epic departs @5pm Same Day.

Not too worried or should I be??

Miss the ship you are screwed. Get yourself to next port. And have you watched any news where airlines have computer issues. Spend all that money for a great cruise and you can’t spend one night in a hotel. [emoji33][emoji41][emoji907]

Of course that's enough time! As long as you're ok missing the ship and/or meeting the ship in another port. That's what trip insurance is for - right? (Personally I'd never take that chance - too many things can go wrong and not being mega-stressed at departures is worth the cost of the hotel!)

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using Forums mobile app

The only times I did not fly in at least 1 day early were on cruises out of NYC (2 hour drive in heavy traffic) and 1 cruise out of Ft Lauderdale, where the it's a 10 minute cab ride from the airport to the cruise terminal, and even that we took an early morning flight.

If you didn’t book your air with the cruise line and if you miss the ship they are not responsible in any way, if they booked the air for you then you are covered,but I bet you booked the air right?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Shake Daddy is a seasoned cruiser, having over 30 cruises on his signature. I think he's good to figure out his travel plans by himself. We can let him continue to deal with his insomnia, the winter weather, or whatever's got him bored out of his mind so that he's poking the cruise critic bear for entertainment, as he sees fit. Have a great cruise, Shake Daddy!

I'm kind of impressed I read all 4 pages of this! If he's a seasoned cruiser I can't help but wonder why he even felt the need to "ask" anyone's opinion here. I feel our vacation begins the moment we leave our house. In this case, this Saturday afternoon to go 2 1/2 hours to the airport where our flight isn't until the next morning! There's not a lot to do there either. But even my husband who adores our dogs & misses them almost before we leave was just asking me if we'll get going by early afternoon! LOL. Our cruise departure will be a full 48 hours in the future but for us it's a long anticipated respite from winter & we aren't about to mess it up! Our precious dogs will be in great care with our daughter...