What is the Best Way to Get HAL Involved with Setting up for a Meet & Greet ?

mcrcruiser

We will be on Westerdam This November 24th to Mexico .

Although we have sailed on HAL ships previously ,we have not been to a Meet & Greet & was thinking that many of our roll Call would be interested in attending one .

Celebrity has what is called the connections party & as long as the list of people is at least 25 ,they provide a area on the ship with light refreshments usually on the first sea day about 10 AM ,for all Cruise Critic members to meet on that sailing .

If you have set up a Meet & Greet by contacting HAL in advance please advise the procedure to follow .

TIA:)

Arranging for a Meet andGreet

Just call to book meet and greets.

877-885-4259

Alternatively you can email the shpboardco-ordinator @HollandAmerica.com

Hope this helps.

I just set one up last week for my cruise in May. It was very easy I called 877-885-4259. I told them I wanted to set up a M & G. He got my booking number and asked how many had signed up. He checked the ships calendar and asked .what day I wanted it. I asked for the first sea day and he set it up for 10:00 am in the Crow's Nest.

Here is a link to Cruise Critics instructions and guidelines for setting up a Meet & Greet.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/announcement.php?f=318&a=218

I think this is good information but a little out of date. They no longer require you to complete a request form. The whole process took about 3 minutes total.

• 11 months later...
I just set one up last week for my cruise in May. It was very easy I called 877-885-4259. I told them I wanted to set up a M & G. He got my booking number and asked how many had signed up. He checked the ships calendar and asked .what day I wanted it. I asked for the first sea day and he set it up for 10:00 am in the Crow's Nest.

Thanks for the info! Do any of the ship employees/officers show up? The thread here still has links, which currently do not work (file not found).

Thanks for the info! Do any of the ship employees/officers show up? The thread here still has links, which currently do not work (file not found).

they used to. Generally speaking now, no. Your confirmation form will come back that they don't come, but it can vary from ship to ship.

since the new policy came in place we have still had the captain at one and officers at a previous one but it is not a common event IMO. Nor necessary.

they used to. Generally speaking now, no. Your confirmation form will come back that they don't come, but it can vary from ship to ship.

since the new policy came in place we have still had the captain at one and officers at a previous one but it is not a common event IMO. Nor necessary.

One of the few good things I can say about my recent MSC Seaside cruise was that they had an excellent turnout of officers (including the captain) at the Meet & Mingle.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Forums mobile app

I was told twice (once in a phone message and once in person) that HAL has told the officers not to attend. I had written invitations to a number of the officers. The Captain showed up anyway and was very gracious.

I was told twice (once in a phone message and once in person) that HAL has told the officers not to attend. I had written invitations to a number of the officers. The Captain showed up anyway and was very gracious.

Some Meet and Greets make a point upfront to request people do not use this gathering as a HAL complaint session. HAL does take a pretty bad beating on CC from some chronic complainers. I know from staff conversations they feel pretty helpless about many of the attacks they read here. So perhaps they feel the better policy is to just keep CC Meet and Greets at arms length.

HAL has always provided time, space and refreshments from my own experiences. And the occasional congenial drop-by from ship's staff. And the general feeling at these CC Meet and Greets has always been upbeat, so maybe a good case can be made for more staff participation once they learn they will not be walking into a lion's den of CC complainers.

How many did you have signed up before you called? Our cruise seems to be low response less than 20 are interested so I thought of doing an unofficial one.

I never understood having a Meet and Greet to meet each other yet wanting officers to attend ... in order to talk to THEM. I can't imagine these officers actually wanting to spend time making small talk with a "special" group of people ... much less listening to questions and complaints.

I never understood having a Meet and Greet to meet each other yet wanting officers to attend ... in order to talk to THEM. I can't imagine these officers actually wanting to spend time making small talk with a "special" group of people ... much less listening to questions and complaints.
Well, when the other lines have them, they're to show that the cruise line appreciates having Cruise Critic members as customers as well as giving us the opportunity to meet fellow members. There are often small giveaways from the cruise line. This is obviously not the way it works on HAL.

I have definitely used it as a chance to speak to senior officers about issues I've noticed (I also use the "frequent cruiser" party for that). Most recently I did this on MSC, since it was one of the a new ship and the captain and others were certainly interested in hearing about problems.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Forums mobile app

How many did you have signed up before you called? Our cruise seems to be low response less than 20 are interested so I thought of doing an unofficial one.

I would call if I had 20 signed up. Once you set up the time and day and place and post it on your roll call, you'll probably find others join in - especially as you get close to sailing.

Alternatively, you can call do an informal one. Either one works. The difference with the HAL one is having the space reserved for you. (And some coffee, water and cookies as well).

If you do set it up and your numbers grow, don't forget to let the ship co-ordinator know the updated numbers at least 30 days before you sail.

I would call if I had 20 signed up. Once you set up the time and day and place and post it on your roll call, you'll probably find others join in - especially as you get close to sailing.

Alternatively, you can call do an informal one. Either one works. The difference with the HAL one is having the space reserved for you. (And some coffee, water and cookies as well).

If you do set it up and your numbers grow, don't forget to let the ship co-ordinator know the updated numbers at least 30 days before you sail.

We were promised the water and cookies, but had about one round of drinks supplied instead. (No complaint there.) Also as our group kept getting bigger, our space allocation did also.

I have definitely used it as a chance to speak to senior officers about issues I've noticed (I also use the "frequent cruiser" party for that). Most recently I did this on MSC, since it was one of the a new ship and the captain and others were certainly interested in hearing about problems.

No offense intended, but is the Meet and Greet the place to present issues (problems)? I thought it was primarily to get to know fellow CC members. It's nice to say hello and shake hands with an officer (I guess) but to use that time to discuss what is wrong with the ship/cruise? (I can understand doing so at a frequent cruiser gathering, I guess, but don't see it at a Meet and Greet.

I would think the officers might refer to it as a "Meet and B*tch" gathering instead and, frankly, it doesn't sound inviting.

Again, no offense intended, just giving my perspective. It just seems like the time is being given so that CC member can finally put a face to a name.

No offense intended, but is the Meet and Greet the place to present issues (problems)? I thought it was primarily to get to know fellow CC members. It's nice to say hello and shake hands with an officer (I guess) but to use that time to discuss what is wrong with the ship/cruise? (I can understand doing so at a frequent cruiser gathering, I guess, but don't see it at a Meet and Greet.

I would think the officers might refer to it as a "Meet and B*tch" gathering instead and, frankly, it doesn't sound inviting.

Again, no offense intended, just giving my perspective. It just seems like the time is being given so that CC member can finally put a face to a name.

Personally, I have never thought that a Meet and Greet is the appropriate time or place to complain to ship's officers.

A meet and greet is just that - a social occasion, not a complaint session. I suspect that complaints at some Meet and Greets may be one of the reasons officers no longer are required to come and, in fact, instructed by Seattle not to come.

Considering the 10 year nature of the same complaints on another thread here about MSC, one wonders how well the MSC staff listens, even if they do at least show up.

Personally, I have never thought that a Meet and Greet is the appropriate time or place to complain to ship's officers.

A meet and greet is just that - a social occasion, not a complaint session. I suspect that complaints at some Meet and Greets may be one of the reasons officers no longer are required to come and, in fact, instructed by Seattle not to come.

My understanding, as well, Kazu. It is also the opportunity for the officers and staff to verbally acquaint the cruisers with the ship and its staff.

It is not supposed to be a place where the various independent tours are offered or firmed up.

r

Thanks Kazu I have an email into them.