Pizza Comments

To follow up and comments about cruise pizza. Here is the real issue. Ships are not designed to make real Neapolitan pizza. Real Neapolitan pizza has a very thin crust, the dough is prepared fresh every day. The pizza uses fresh mozzarella cheese, no other type of cheese is acceptable. The pizza is cooked in wood fired brick oven and served piping hot and not allowed to sit around. When you eat great pizza it should almost burn the roof of your mouth when you first bite into it. The pizza on a cruise ship is there for a cheap or free snack. Do not compare it to real freshly made pizza you would get in an old Italian town such as the one I grew up in. Electric ovens dry out the crust quickly and having it sit around and get warmed up when you order it is just not the way to eat great pizza. Unless the cruise ship is willing to cook this way you will never get great or even good pizza.

To follow up and comments about cruise pizza. Here is the real issue. Ships are not designed to make real Neapolitan pizza. Real Neapolitan pizza has a very thin crust, the dough is prepared fresh every day. The pizza uses fresh mozzarella cheese, no other type of cheese is acceptable. The pizza is cooked in wood fired brick oven and served piping hot and not allowed to sit around. When you eat great pizza it should almost burn the roof of your mouth when you first bite into it. The pizza on a cruise ship is there for a cheap or free snack. Do not compare it to real freshly made pizza you would get in an old Italian town such as the one I grew up in. Electric ovens dry out the crust quickly and having it sit around and get warmed up when you order it is just not the way to eat great pizza. Unless the cruise ship is willing to cook this way you will never get great or even good pizza.

MSC has great pizza. Amazing actually for sea.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Since we are talking Pizza, and not just RCCL, we were on the NCL breakaway a month or so ago. The pizza in their buffet area wasn't the best, but I went over to the gentleman making the pizza and asked if he could make me a pie, just for me, and not the ones he makes that they just throw out there. He was very nice and agreed if I would wait about 15 minutes. I sure agreed and asked him for a pie with just sauce, cheese and mushrooms. What I got was a much better pizza than anyone else on the ship had. Being from NY, can't even say it was 'real' pizza, but as far as cruise ship's pizza is concerned it was far better than most.

My point being, don't just accept what they are putting out there, ask them, to make you a pie, how you may like it. Perhaps they won't, but also you may find a very nice pizza maker who just wants to please. It worked for us.

Cheers

Len

Somehow Princess has figured it out and Royal could too if they wanted to.

On the Oasis, if you went to Sorrento's anytime between 9pm and 11pm you were waiting for the pizza not the pizza sitting around. So yeah, people say it wasnt good pizza but it sure did constantly disappear... :-)

Sent from my ASUS_Z01HD using Forums mobile app

factor in the fact that there isn't much else available after the WJ closes at about 9-9:30pm other than those little premade sandwiches that aren't anything to write home about either.

I am going to pay the room service fee and get my nightly snack next month.

Hey, maybe that was RCI's plan all along!:p If they can get a cheap person like me to spring for the extra charge, I think they have a winner.

Bill

RCI’s Pizza is among the worst on any ship i have been on. It’s akin to a frozen heat-n-eat from the grocery freezer section. Disney, princess, carnival, HAL, NCL much better. It is busy because after 9:30 thats it except for RS.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Meh... I have watched them unable to keep up on CCL. Hand tossing the dough, and cooking it with a thin crispy crunch, where the mozzarella burns the top of your mouth when you bite into it. It didn't sit around, as it was being handed out as it came out of the oven on the Splendor.

It is possible to have a decent slice of pizza on a cruise ship... apparently just not on RCI, in my experience.

Do not compare it to real freshly made pizza you would get in an old Italian town such as the one I grew up in.

I don't think anyone expects pizza like that on the ship. The problem is that it compares unfavorably to some frozen pizzas that you heat up in the oven when you're too lazy to cook. ;)

Carnival does a VERY good job with the pizza. Royal does the worse. I still enjoy it for what it is, a snack, but it's not great. Carnival's is really good though. No, it's not the best ever, but for a ship, they nail it.