Royal Carribean denied boarding

Found this CC post a little bit ago - It's a few years old but the poster had some good comments.

ContemporaryTraveler

Cool Cruiser

Miami

66 Posts

Joined Apr 2004

Posted August 15th, 2013, 01:48 PM

I work in Port Everglades and most of the time embarkation is denied due to wrong documentation. One example is of a man had the wrong type of birth certificate and was denied boarding. He had a hospital issued birth certificate instead of the official government certificate. Usually you may still be allowed to embark if an official one can be faxed in time before boarding. In this circumstance the particular state he was born in would have taken to long to receive a faxed official birth certificate and he was denied immediately. Some states are faster at faxing birth certificates than others.

Another issue is visas, especially ones that are expired, only have one entry, or the F1 visa without the paper work. Occasionally students forget to bring the I-20 form signed by the school or will pack it in a suit case. A student accidentally packed one in a suitcase and had to have the luggage brought back off the ship to find the form to show a pier agent before she was allowed to board. The biggest concern with visas is if they have multiple or one entries into the United States with a closed loop cruise. A one entry visa has already been used with the initial entry when coming into the United States before a cruise, which means they can't be allowed to board since they would be denied entrance into the United States at the end of the cruise.

For the most part embarkation seems to be denied due to wrong identification. Sometimes a customs agents has become involved to see if an individual can sail with the identification or not. Least Royal Caribbean does have individuals to help you if there is a problem, such as the pier coordinator or guest advocate.

Besides wrong identification, I feel the next most common reason is going to be sickness. Also some people have been disembarked once on board due to the ship being over capacity. This happened in Port Everglades recently because more passengers arrived then expected (usually there are a few cancellations and no shows). With that circumstance any family members or guests of crew who had already boarded the ship had to be disembarked. Lately the Oasis and the Allure have been sailing almost at capacity, which has led to family members and guests of crew not being able to board sadly.

Expand Signature

Travel Blog: ContemporaryWanderer.com

Pacific Princess (2016) || Viking Baldur (2015) || Royal Princess (2014) || Sapphire Princess (2012) || Crown Princess (2011) || Crown P

Perhaps you would like to specify what would constitute proof.

What evidence would you accept?

The evidence the OP claims to have. To quote the OP: "They told her several lies and she now has proof that they lied about their reasoning." It would be helpful to know what that proof is.

Not sure why this is a difficult concept for you.

Even people well intentioned can misrepresent facts when they fail to understand the law surrounding the situation. I’m a police supervisor and took a complaint recently for an officer making the wrong at fault determination on an accident (the officer was actually right). She was convinced she was right because she explained the facts as she believed them to be true to another officer and her insurance company and both told her she was correct. The problem was she had a misunderstanding of the law. So the facts, as she explained them, were flawed, even though, in her mind, they were accurate. There is a piece of the puzzle missing here. The friend may or may not realize it; but there’s something else to the story she is missing.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Some people don’t give you all the facts, just the ones as they see them. When my children were younger, think teens, they would tell me what happened, it was only when I became the great inquisitor that ALL the relevant details came out. Lol

Sent from my iPad using Forums

A credible evidence that will prove beyond a reasonable doubt RCCL lied to her friend.

So you are unwilling to specify what would constitute acceptable "proof". Not only that but you want proof of a higher standard than what a court of law would require in this instance. Why not just come out and say that the cruise line can do no wrong?

The evidence the OP claims to have. To quote the OP: "They told her several lies and she now has proof that they lied about their reasoning." It would be helpful to know what that proof is.

Not sure why this is a difficult concept for you.

My asking for a standard of proof is intended to establish what would be acceptable in the eyes of posters who assume the worst of the OP. As has been illustrated, at least one poster insists on proof to a level higher than even a court of law would use in judging this situation. Which suggests to me that nothing would satisfy that poster.

It would be helpful if more details were provided. What I do not accept is the immediate presumption that the OP is wrong and if only the "facts" came out we would all see that. We have no facts, we are unlikely to get any facts, even if we do we will at best only see one side of the story. Yet there are so many posts hostile to the OP for no reason I can see beyond a criticism of RCI.

Yet there are so many posts hostile to the OP for no reason I can see beyond a criticism of RCI.

I don't see any posts that are critical to RCI other than the OP's. The way I comprehend the posts so far is they are telling the OP that no cruise line would deny a boarding for no valid reason, as the OP seems to imply. Perhaps you could point to those posts that you feel are being critical to RCI.

Instead, I see reasonable people telling the OP that considering the dearth of details regarding the event presented to us, there is no possibility to offer appropriate support from such a vacuum of information. And these same people are patiently trying to explain how the real world works during a cruise line check in process.

This isn't a court of law where you can demand a high standard of proof to prove your case. Are you trying to convict the OP in a court of public opinion? Or acquit her? :confused:

Hi

I too believe that this story is just that a story.

I totally believe that some employee could easily ask someone to step aside and have a seat while some sort of issue was resolved. I can also believe that in this situation the person could be totally forgotten about.

I don't believe it possible that someone would just sit there for 5 hrs. and watch the terminal empty and have the ship sail away without them without them having made a significant fuss. I don't believe a group of friends would go to board on a cruise and have one of the group presumably stopped till something ???? could be cleared and none willing to sit with their friend.

If these were children, I believe it might be possible. Otherwise, it sounds more like a fairy tale.

Hi

I too believe that this story is just that a story.

I totally believe that some employee could easily ask someone to step aside and have a seat while some sort of issue was resolved. I can also believe that in this situation the person could be totally forgotten about.

I don't believe it possible that someone would just sit there for 5 hrs. and watch the terminal empty and have the ship sail away without them without them having made a significant fuss. I don't believe a group of friends would go to board on a cruise and have one of the group presumably stopped till something ???? could be cleared and none willing to sit with their friend.

If these were children, I believe it might be possible. Otherwise, it sounds more like a fairy tale.

I agree with you wholeheartedly. But the last sob story of the elderly couple that complained to the Boston Globe and got a full refund and a free future cruise on NCL because they were told to sit and were ignored for 3 (?) hours and missed their cruise. WHO does this and NOT asks what is going on?

So you are unwilling to specify what would constitute acceptable "proof". Not only that but you want proof of a higher standard than what a court of law would require in this instance. Why not just come out and say that the cruise line can do no wrong?

Your position is ridiculous. Proof of anything is very difficult to demonstrate - often even to identify. Proof that someone lied requires unassailable evidence of:

1) whatever it was that they supposedly said,

2) followed be equally strong demonstration that what they said was not true

3) and, for it to be a lie, as opposed to a mistake: demonstration that whoever said it knew, at that time , that it was untrue.

Of course cruise lines can do (and frequently do) "wrong" things; but to claim that they lied, and that there is proof that they lied, isn't just silly - it is a manifestation of virulent stupidity. And for you to pick up that deflated ball and attempt to run with it is the kind of thing you should think very carefully about before repeating.

Seems to me that it is all nonsense and does not ring true.

Clearly, the critical data and a first person account is required. The only thing present at the moment are statements that do not hang together and are void of any logic. Troll like if I was to guess.

The problem with a thread like this is that if that assuming the OP isn't trolling we may never know what really happened and I, like most of us following, would love to know the FULL story and any conclusion.

We are almost certainly going to be left totally in the dark and it's sooo frustrating, but then isn't that what trolls want?

The problem with a thread like this is that if that assuming the OP isn't trolling we may never know what really happened and I, like most of us following, would love to know the FULL story and any conclusion.

We are almost certainly going to be left totally in the dark and it's sooo frustrating, but then isn't that what trolls want?

No they will get on TV make a big stink, blame the cruise line and get a free cruise.;p;)

Yes I too would like to know what happens with this, If there was a real issue I would like to know for myself for future reference, but alas we will never find out.

I agree. Aside from simple curiosity, there is always the chance one will learn something new.

If this is not a troll, OP will come back with more details. I will be surprised if that happens, but would be more than willing to apologize for my doubting the story if I get info that helps me understand what happened.

She claims to have proof. Asking what it is has NOTHING to do with what anyone here would or would not accept.

MOST CRUISE LINES REQUIRE PASSPORT TO BE VALID SIX MONTHS PAST THE CRUISE.

Which lines?

Why would cruise lines care?

Some COUNTRIES require that the passport be valid for 3 or 6 months after the expected departure from the country. This if for a visa to be issued, or for entry to the country when a visa is not required. But this also does not apply for cruise passengers in some countries.

Also, why would the cruise line require a passport being valid for an extra 6 months, when NO PASSPORT IS REQUIRED AT ALL FOR MANY CRUISES??????

CBD only requires that the passport be valid when you try to re-enter the US. NO EXTRA DAYS NEEDED.

Also, everyone seems to be assuming the friend has a US passport.

They may not. Which may mean they needed a visa for one or more port stops.

So the friend's passport may have been fine for re-entering the US, but not OK for one of the port stops.

I deal with this with my SO, not a US citizen. So have to be careful that she can cruise to the ports without a visa, or to get it.

Which lines?

Some COUNTRIES require that the passport be valid for 3 or 6 months after the expected departure from the country. This if for a visa to be issued, or for entry to the country when a visa is not required. But this also does not apply for cruise passengers in some countries.

Also, why would the cruise line require a passport being valid for an extra 6 months, when NO PASSPORT IS REQUIRED AT ALL FOR MANY CRUISES??????

CBD only requires that the passport be valid when you try to re-enter the US. NO EXTRA DAYS NEEDED.

Actually, some of the premium/luxury lines not only require a passport of all passengers on all itineraries but also invoke that six month buffer.

Many CC posters seem to forget that airlines, cruise lines et al., may have their own documentation requirements that are more stringent than those of local governments.

Which lines?

Oceania cruises state in their T&C, the following:

Passports must be valid six months from the date of trip completion. Regent Seven Seas states: Passports must be valid for six months beyond the conclusion of your cruise.

There are more, however, I think I answered the question.