Library on Prinsendam

casamariposa

I haven't sailed for two years since returning from the Prinsendam's Grand South America in March of 2016 and facing some health problems. Can anyone tell me if the P'dam still has a library and, if so, is it staffed as it was on the three voyages I made on that ship. I'm hearing from friends that all the libraries are being pulled from the ships of the fleet. Thanks. ;);)

I haven't sailed for two years since returning from the Prinsendam's Grand South America in March of 2016 and facing some health problems. Can anyone tell me if the P'dam still has a library and, if so, is it staffed as it was on the three voyages I made on that ship. I'm hearing from friends that all the libraries are being pulled from the ships of the fleet. Thanks. ;);)

Sorry to hear about the health issues. Wishing you a quick recovery.

The library (both rooms) is indeed still there.

The libraries on that ship and the S & R ships are not being touched at this stage of the game.

I can't see them touching the P'dam's library - it's a good one and very important to her loyal cruisers.

I don't think there is a librarian there now though. I'll be on in May and will be doing a live thread. I'll report and if I forget to, just remind me.

When we got off the Prinsendam last Novembe, there was still a very good library. The downside was there is no longer a Librarian. Some of the books had been reshelved in the wrong place and even in the paperback book exchange, so be sure to check all areas as books could be out of place. It was still a popular spot on the ship and had a great selection of books.

Prinsendam's Library is located in such a small, dedicated area that I would think eliminating it for something else would require quite a massive re-building of the interior for that part of the ship.

"Small"? Prinsendam library small? Are we picturing the same library on the same ship? I think the Prinsendam library is about the same size as the ones found on the S-class ships, and for a few hundred fewer passengers.

Don't forget to include the Oak Room when you think of the Prinsendam library. There's lots of books in there, too.

But as to your point, the larger room could easily be converted to some other use (not that I want it to be), IMO.

"Small"? Prinsendam library small? Are we picturing the same library on the same ship? I think the Prinsendam library is about the same size as the ones found on the S-class ships, and for a few hundred fewer passengers.

Don't forget to include the Oak Room when you think of the Prinsendam library. There's lots of books in there, too.

But as to your point, the larger room could easily be converted to some other use (not that I want it to be), IMO.

Totally agree. The P'dam's library is really two rooms as you pointed out and it's beautiful. Beats the S class ships and R class ships IMO. ( and some have decent libraries) Very nice selection and if you can score one of those chairs in the Oak Room ;)

I think there may be a full time librarian on Prinsendam and Amsterdam's Grand voyages, although not on regular cruises. Prinsendam's 2-room library is a real gem.

Roy

Totally agree. It's a real gem compared to any other HAL ship. I don't have the experience on cruise lines that you do, but it knocked the socks off any other HAL ship, mass market ships and Oceania ;)

I am thinking more of the Oak Room, perhaps, and forgetting the adjacent room. Thank you for jogging my memory.