Deck 8 Evening Buffet Open.

ISLANDCRUSO

Not sailing 17 March, it's just my wife and I. We booked 10 months ago and have requested early dining and are told we will be confirmed when we get onboard. No I haven't been reading these comments, if MSC was upfront with their dining assignment we not have booked this cruise. I like you am entitled to make what ever comments I choose on this forum as long as they are not offensive if you don't find them useful so be it.

I am just tying to help. You haven't been assigned that time yet so I say don't spoil your vacation with worry from now. If you booked 10 months ago it should be fine. When you are reading other peoples experiences it can be a challenge to pick out what matters to you as the comments are so skewed and it does seem people who go on the same sailing can have completely different experiences. Even last week in our group of 12 there was carrying experiences. What I was also trying to point out is people put these random statements out there and everyone jumps in without all the facts. I stand by my comment that if you get assigned late time just go to the Maitre'd when you board. Surely, they can accommodate 2 people. You may not get a table for 2 but I think they will take care of you. With 2 dining rooms and 2 earlier times that 9:45 I think your chances are better for the other seatings . Our waiter said a lot if the Europens want/like the later time. What I wonder is with 3 times is the middle one classified as late or early? I am going to post all the dinimg room food and menus soon so you can see what's to be had. Hope you are pleasantly surprised when you go. Pack your patience and a good attitude with a plan to enjoy your experience with a ship not like the rest. When are you going?

You wrote:

I'm simply inquiring what other cruise line has a 9:45 p.m. seating time as I've never heard of such a thing.

Oh. To clarify I believe you could be assigned a late dinner when asking for early on any cruise line, if they have told you it was just requested early not guaranteed. On other cruise lines I have been on only 2 saeatings to my recollection. Seaside as far as I know always had the 3 times in Ipanema and so adding a 3rd to Seashore makes sense for them. For me we had 6pm in Seashore and that was a bit rushed after port visits. If we had drawn Ipanema the early was 5:30pm I think I would have been disappointed. I know it is only half hour but I barely made it to my seat each time as it was. The middle time would have been great but I don't know if that would be classified early or late. Maybe for future bookings they will show the 3 times. It would make things a lot better if people knew what they would be getting. My waiter said the Europeans like the later time so maybe it balances out.

I’m booked w money on the table.

Why are people trying to convince others that a corner of the buffet w tablecloths is equal to the MDR experience?

In fairness after I experience it I’ll report back.

Live in south Florida w 5plus weeks of vacation so always hopping on cruise ships and brand agnostic. Have had 2 very good cruises on Divina

Sorry if I am repeating myself, I know your comment here is from a while ago. As of this week no more Marketplace MDR.

I am just tying to help. You haven't been assigned that time yet so I say don't spoil your vacation with worry from now. If you booked 10 months ago it should be fine. When you are reading other peoples experiences it can be a challenge to pick out what matters to you as the comments are so skewed and it does seem people who go on the same sailing can have completely different experiences. Even last week in our group of 12 there was carrying experiences. What I was also trying to point out is people put these random statements out there and everyone jumps in without all the facts. I stand by my comment that if you get assigned late time just go to the Maitre'd when you board. Surely, they can accommodate 2 people. You may not get a table for 2 but I think they will take care of you. With 2 dining rooms and 2 earlier times that 9:45 I think your chances are better for the other seatings . Our waiter said a lot if the Europens want/like the later time. What I wonder is with 3 times is the middle one classified as late or early? I am going to post all the dinimg room food and menus soon so you can see what's to be had. Hope you are pleasantly surprised when you go. Pack your patience and a good attitude with a plan to enjoy your experience with a ship not like the rest. When are you going?

We are sailing 7 Apr and yes my tells me all the time "you catch more flies with honey than you do with vinegar" I agree that these comments are but a very small % of cruisers opinions. It is just the 2 of us and to be honest we really don't care how many we are seated with or if we even have the same waiter, we are not fussy we just don't want to be assigned the 9:45 time. If we do we will politely ask for an earlier seating. Thank you for the calming advice at the end of the day there are a lot of people in this world that would love to trade places

What sage advice! I'm in the middle of packing and I'll be sure to include these 2 items. :D

Enjoy Bea. You offered some wonderful advice and I really appreciate your take on things and great attitude. Safe travels!

Sorry if I am repeating myself, I know your comment here is from a while ago. As of this week no more Marketplace MDR.

Thanks for all the updates and info. Willingness to make changes means they are trying.

I would never accept a 9:45 dinner seating, especially with two young children and booking this cruise over two years ago. Regardless of being Bella, I'll stand there and make scene if that's what it takes. I'm not European and with two young children this won't happen. Hopefully MSC isn't dumb enough to ask families with babies, toddlers, and young children to eat at a time that would be past their bedtime most nights. My guess is, they are that dumb ........

tall ... I am in agreement with you re kids, we had to change our dinner sitting on Preziosa to 6pm because the two grand kids were nodding off at the 8pm one.

The issue is who moves, though after the 1st night I would think that there will be spaces on the earlier time slots.

We do not have kids however we will still not be sitting down for dinner at 9:45 PM if we are assigned that time we will ask for an earlier time (it's just me and my wife and we don't care who we sit with) if they can't change us we will simply be using the buffet and it will likely be our one and only cruise on MSC. This was a bad design for MSC to have a ship this size that can't accommodate all their diners in 2 sittings

CM15 ... In one way it was a good design because they knew with more people onboard that a 3rd dining room would be needed and that the Marketplace could be used in the evening the same as on the other Fantasia class ships to cover the overflow.

Using one room for two uses was I believe how they saw it just as on the other ships but with more people, trouble is Seaside is shorter than the Fantasia class ships and so the room for a 3rd Dining room was a non starter.

My issue all along has been that the passenger numbers are too great for the size of the ship.

CM15 ... In one way it was a good design because they knew with more people onboard that a 3rd dining room would be needed and that the Marketplace could be used in the evening the same as on the other Fantasia class ships to cover the overflow.

Using one room for two uses was I believe how they saw it just as on the other ships but with more people, trouble is Seaside is shorter than the Fantasia class ships and so the room for a 3rd Dining room was a non starter.

My issue all along has been that the passenger numbers are too great for the size of the ship.

We don't mind dining in a converted Buffet just not interested in dining at 9:45PM, I believe they know they have a problem and are trying to do their best.

Michb5 ... I wonder how long they will give it to see if it works before using the Marketplace again ?

Lol:D:D. I was thinking that too. I immediately thought 3 dinning times will create other issues and someone isn't going to be happy, again . It seems to change every week and they won't be able to make everyone happy. So now you will have people with 9:45pm seating that I have to agree would be awful for North Americans, but I hear that is not uncommon for some Europens and they will request it. I also think that will make it really hectic on the dining room and staff, and by 3rd dining maybe some items are not available and maybe not enough clean plates/cutlery/glasses. It really seemed like they are in pretty tight supply as they didn't want you to walk with your wine glass after dinner.

Micheb5 ... What you say about the wine glass has an element of truth in it, it appears that certain individuals within the MSC family are not in the modern age and things run like the armed forces with a chain of command.

Each area is issued with X number of items and is expected to retain X number all the time, any go missing and no doubt there will be forms to fill in, in doubly triplicate!

Most people take a glass of some kind from one bar or another to their room, the steward removes the glass and it usually ends up back at a or the bar in question, so why should the Dining room be any different ?

A case in point are the board games that you have to sign for and golf club on the other ships and basketball and soccer ball, if they are broken or lost it takes ages to get them replaced and it appears to be that the people from the entertainment team are the ones who get it in the neck when it happens.

Checked our dailies from our Xmas cruise and Ipanema had a 9.45 pm dining time, so it is nothing new.

I think the person said he had been told that the other dining room was now going to be doing 3 seatings implying that that one had previously only done 2. If that's the case that would make it new

.....Giving someone with young children a 9.45 dining time shows a total disrespect for the customer and not one iota of common sense....

I would say that's quite a a sweeping generalisation. Many Europeans (Spanish, Italian, Portuguese) routinely eat at this time, their children too.

They almost certainly wouldnt want a 545 time. Therefore having 3 dining times should suit everyone. Albeit with some juggling if say you are from the US and got the 945 or you are from Italy and got the 545.

Admittedly it is a lot of work for rhe dining staff however im sure their day is not helped one iota either by people complaining and giving them a hard time.

It seems to be very apparent in almost all these threads those who treat the staff with a smile and some respect get a lot further than those who moan and complain and generally give them a hard time.

I for one appreciate how hard and how long they work for pay most of us that can afford to cruise would laugh at. I don't envy them their job.

I think the person said he had been told that the other dining room was now going to be doing 3 seatings implying that that one had previously only done 2. If that's the case that would make it new

.....Giving someone with young children a 9.45 dining time shows a total disrespect for the customer and not one iota of common sense....

I would say that's quite a a sweeping generalisation. Many Europeans (Spanish, Italian, Portuguese) routinely eat at this time, their children too.

They almost certainly wouldnt want a 545 time. Therefore having 3 dining times should suit everyone. Albeit with some juggling if say you are from the US and got the 945 or you are from Italy and got the 545.

Admittedly it is a lot of work for rhe dining staff however im sure their day is not helped one iota either by people complaining and giving them a hard time.

It seems to be very apparent in almost all these threads those who treat the staff with a smile and some respect get a lot further than those who moan and complain and generally give them a hard time.

I for one appreciate how hard and how long they work for pay most of us that can afford to cruise would laugh at. I don't envy them their job.

Exactly. Well said!

Mattnvick ... I think the person said he had been told that the other dining room was now going to be doing 3 seatings implying that that one had previously only done 2. If that's the case that would make it new

Yes it would

The reply was in response to someone who I think may be from the USA who does not want 9.45 as a dinner time! I also know what time people eat in Europe having been there many times on past holidays.

All well and good if it actually works that way but there will be those who do not want either of those times.

Customers have a right to complain if they feel something is wrong, in our 6 cruises so far with MSC we have not had an issue with staff and I doubt we will on our 7th on Seaside in April.

Sadly there are those whose sole aim is to find fault on a holiday and not just on a cruise. Abuse of staff regardless of where they work should not be tolerated by any cruiseline.

I doubt that many people envy them their job but you have to remember it is what they chose to do !

Pack your patience and a good attitude with a plan to enjoy your experience with a ship not like the rest.

LOVE you level headed approach and advice Micheb5 ....attitude is such an important part of how one see and experience life

Rest assured I know how hard these employees work and how long they are away from home. I am a firm believer that a level headed approach works most of the time, however there still remains rare occasions when you need to stand up for yourself especially when dealing with management (customer service desk?) If you have a legitimate beef and your concerns are being ignored or downplayed there are occasions when you need to stand your ground. I am not talking about causing ascene I am simply saying that having a manager dismiss your issue or try to sweep it under the carpet is not acceptable

Edited by Cullyman15
grammar