How to choose

babs135

OK, I realise that there may well be problems with bland food, etc. etc (quick looking at reviews) but I'm looking for a simple week long cruise around the Med with my adult daughter. Working on the assumption that nothing can be as bad as people say (!) how do I choose which ship would suit us?

Not sailing until autumn next year but a quick look at what's on offer shows half a dozen ships plying the Med. Prices in the main are very similar as are the itineraries (western Med) so it could well come down to the ship.

We are not particularly adventurous so zip lining and similar are a complete no-go. Quite happy with our own company, like reading, people watching. Happy with mid-sized ships but would go up rather down in size if necessary.

Advice and help please

The Fantasia-class ships (Fantasia, Splendida, Preziosa, Divina) are our favourite size ship. They were the biggest before the arrival of Meraviglia, Seaside and (in June next - Seaview). The bigger the ship, the better choice of entertainment venues - especially at night - if that's what's important to you. They also have lots of lovely, quiet places during the day for reading (most of the ships do, in fairness. There are just more choices on the big ships).

Mid-size ships are Musica class (Musica, Magnifica, Orchestra, Poesia). We've booked Poesia for an East Med cruise later this year. We've already been on Magnifica and Orchestra. Very nice-sized ships they are, too.

Smallest are Lirica class (Lirica, Opera, Sinfonia, Armonia). These don't have Speciality Restaurants onboard and have limited venues.

Somewhat like Bea, we have also cruised what was the mid sized ships Orchestra and Poesia along with Divina and Preziosa, in the small class we have sailed on Opera.

Our favourite so far has been Poesia although we liked Preziosa better than Divina and recently the Seaside.

As Bea says it depends what you are looking for as to which ship would suit you best and not necessarily MSC.

The Fantasia-class ships (Fantasia, Splendida, Preziosa, Divina) are our favourite size ship. They were the biggest before the arrival of Meraviglia, Seaside and (in June next - Seaview). The bigger the ship, the better choice of entertainment venues - especially at night - if that's what's important to you. They also have lots of lovely, quiet places during the day for reading (most of the ships do, in fairness. There are just more choices on the big ships).

Mid-size ships are Musica class (Musica, Magnifica, Orchestra, Poesia). We've booked Poesia for an East Med cruise later this year. We've already been on Magnifica and Orchestra. Very nice-sized ships they are, too.

Smallest are Lirica class (Lirica, Opera, Sinfonia, Armonia). These don't have Speciality Restaurants onboard and have limited venues.

I agree with Beamafar. Our favorite ships are Splendida, Preziosa, Poesía and Magnifica.

Ivi

As Bea says it depends what you are looking for as to which ship would suit you best and not necessarily MSC.

Price dictates the choice to a very large extent. Have a budget with not a lot of leeway :(

Which ships are your options?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Divina; Orchestra; Bellissima; Seaview; Preziosa; Fantasia and possibly the Lirica (liked the sound of the itinerary!)

Choice (?) of entertainment in an evening would also be preferable

I've been on: -

LIrica; Opera x 3; Sinfonia x 2

Orchestra x 4: Musica;

Splendida x 3; Davina (fantasia class)

Meraviglia

I agree with Bea and Sidari that my favorites are the Musica and Fantasia classes, with the Musica class having the edge on not being so crowded but having a good range of venues