U. S. Virgin Islands Certified Tour Guides...anyone booked w/ them lately?

vball09

We will have a 2 year old in our group, so I need to book a tour w/ a car seat. I've been in contact w/ them through email, but wanted to see if anyone on here has actually booked w/ them recently. I don't want to do any of the open safari type vehicles.

U.S.V.I. Certified Tour Guides is an organization of taxi drivers/tour guides that went through a class that the Hotel & Tourism Association and the University of the Virgin Islands organized on topics like island history, island attractions, good presentation, customer service etc. They are a good organization that is trying to create and maintain a standard for tours. There are a variety of members so they should be able to set you up with a member that has a closed van, which has seat belts so you can use a car seat.

--Islander

Thanks! Which of the beaches would you recommend to visit w/ a 2 yr old? We would want chairs, shade, clean bathrooms, & a place to get food/drink. These are the options.

Magen’s Bay Beach, Secret Harbor Beach, Coki Beach and Sapphire Beach.

Do you want to snorkel? Food/drink... would you prefer a restaurant or is to-go food ok? Do you know how many ships are in port that day with you: you ok with large groups or trying to avoid them?

--Islander

We don't care about snorkeling. Just want to spend some time on the beach hanging out. Don't have to have a full meal just appetizers if we want to snack, so a bar on the beach would work. We are on the Dream in July & I think the only other ship in port is the Oasis. I'm ok with some people being on the beach, but don't want to be packed like sardines either. My husband & I have been to Magen's Bay before if that makes a difference.

They are all fine however I like Magens Bay for families with small children: its a sandy beach, water deepens gradually is typically very calm and clear; and its a sandy bottom beach. It is a popular beach but its about a mile long so there is a room to spread out. Closer you are to the concession area (where the food/drink and chair rentals are) the busier it is.

Secret Harbor is nice also, much smaller than Magens but not as busy, there is a restaruant/bar, restrooms. You can rent chairs. In the water area there are several rocky spots - but if you look out for them you can avoid them.

Sapphire has the things you are looking for, chairs, food (small open air grill they serve burgers and things, there is a full restaurant up by the condo pool and a wait person from there comes down to the beach to take and deliver orders, there is a minimum of $20 or $25 and a service fee, usually there is a pizza delivery person too). The restrooms are open but need some repair work and are typically hit or miss as far as being clean. The water does deepen quickly and there are some small pebbles in the water. So water area isn't as great for little kids as Magens, however Sapphire does usually have iguanas running around by the treeline, the little pond usually has ducks and other birds, there is a penisula and marina where you can go take a walk, sometimes you can see tarpon swimming around by the boats in the marina - so things to walk around and see if you were interested.

And Coki, water is calm, sandy, there are chairs, food from vendors, restrooms. Its the smallest of the four, popular with cruise passengers so easily gets busy.

Hope that helps.

--Islander

Archived