Suggestions on Which Cruise to take

Wine4Me

We're considering sailing on the Oceania Marina in May, 2011, Venice to Athens (Grecian Glory cruise). Is the itinerary (Venice, Dubrovnik, Kotor, Corfu, Zakynthos, Monemvasia, Santorini, Ephesus/Kusadasi), Delos, Mykonos, Athens) worthwhile for Oceania "first-timers," or should we consider the "Baltic Treasures" (Copenhagen, Berlin/Warnemunde, Ronne/Bornholm, Gdansk/Gdynia, Visby, Riga, Tallinn, St. Petersburg, Helsinki, Stockholm) cruise, instead?

Not able to walk a lot to tour, so tours on buses would be a plus.

Thanks.

Perhaps it is because I have Scandinavian blood in my system, I have enjoyed Baltic cruises more than Med cruises.

I believe Marina is going to be too large for the Kiel Canal, which has been a highlight of our Baltic cruises. Oceania's smaller Renaissance class ships do fit through the Kiel.

Not able to walk a lot to tour, so tours on buses would be a plus

When we toured Venice, Dubrovnik, and Ephesus, we walked quite a bit. In Santorini and Corfu we rented cars, and in Athens, 2nd day we toured by van. Copenhagen, Berlin, Stockholm, and St Petersburg could also be enjoyed by touring in a van or on a bus, and there wasn't too much walking in Gdansk, but slightly more in Helsinki and Tallinn.

I just wanted to add, Ephesus was mostly downhill. Also, Mykonos and Delos were fairly easy to stroll, but if uneven pavement will cause any difficulties, the Baltic may be a wiser choice.

I suspected Marina would be too large for the Kiel Canal which is a shame since it was indeed one of the highlights of our 2nd trip to the Baltic, but I think I would still prefer the Baltic over the Mediterranean if walking was a problem.

...but I think I would still prefer the Baltic over the Mediterranean if walking was a problem.

If mobility is something of a problem, you may find one of the transoceanic cruises more to your liking:

map-lg-INS111122.jpg

Knowing that you will have the respite of the days at sea can sometimes make a long day in port more pleasant. :D

We're considering sailing on the Oceania Marina in May, 2011, Venice to Athens (Grecian Glory cruise). Is the itinerary (Venice, Dubrovnik, Kotor, Corfu, Zakynthos, Monemvasia, Santorini, Ephesus/Kusadasi), Delos, Mykonos, Athens) worthwhile for Oceania "first-timers," or should we consider the "Baltic Treasures" (Copenhagen, Berlin/Warnemunde, Ronne/Bornholm, Gdansk/Gdynia, Visby, Riga, Tallinn, St. Petersburg, Helsinki, Stockholm) cruise, instead? Not able to walk a lot to tour, so tours on buses would be a plus.

I've done several Baltic AND Med cruises...personally, I prefer the Med...though there's lots to see in the Baltic as well...Either itinerary can mean a lot of walking in port...Cruise line excursions usually include some that are primarily bus trips...but, with Oceania doing smaller ships, that means fewer excursions, so the bus tour may be trying to be all things to all people...and, because a lot of areas in these old cities are somewhat inaccessable by bus, there may be some walking...Perhaps a wheelchair is an option? Otherwise, you may want to consider private tours specially designed for you...

Venice, Dubrovnik, Kotor, Corfu, Zakynthos, Monemvasia, Santorini, Ephesus/Kusadasi), Delos, Mykonos, Athens

Venice can be toured to some extent by boat or vaporetti...but you are going to want to walk to and through some sites...

Dubrovnik allows no vehicles within the old city...this will require some walking...There is a shorex often offered that I recommend that heads to a farm/winery for a lunch and entertinment that's a lot of fun...but does have some walking through the town

Kotor is small and compact, but will require walking in the old city...

Santorini can be toured by a bus shorex that stops at a winery and some picturesque spots but you'll likely walk a little through the main town...

Ephesus, as has been noted, requires some walking--mostly downhill...

Athens can be done with a bus tour, but you'll be walking through sites like the Acropolis...there's a walk up the hill from the bus parling, but, perhaps with mobility issues, they can bring you to the top...

Delos requires walking...Mykonos, you could just taxi into town or to a beach and relax...

Copenhagen, Berlin/Warnemunde, Ronne/Bornholm, Gdansk/Gdynia, Visby, Riga, Tallinn, St. Petersburg, Helsinki, Stockholm

Copenhagen has areas that are pedestrian only...and they are some of the nicest areas, but there is alot to be seen that can be reached by car...

From Warnemunde, if you go into Berlin, it's a 3 hour bus ride each way...You can do a city tour by bus or car...

Gdansk requires some walking, but it's easy, flat walking...

Talinn needs to be walked in the old city...

Helsinki is easily done on a bus tour...

Stockholm has enough to do that can be accessed by bus or car...or boat...

In Riga, we had a walking tour, but, I'd picture a private tour by car could get you through most of the sites...

St. Petersburgh can be toured by car, but each sight worth seeing: Hermitage, Peterhof, Catherine's Palace, Yusopov, etc. requires a deal of walking within the sites...

Only you know your mobility limitations...

Can you walk a bit if flat and easy? Or is anything over a few steps difficult? Again, if it's very difficult, consider a wheel chair...and doing private tours so you can go at your own speed and the wheelchair accommodated...

That said, again, both itineraries are great and have a lot to offer...Think of what YOU prefer to see and do...

In May, weather should not be a factor--though the Baltic may be a bit cooler and even rainier...

Good luck...

I wish to thank all who responded to my post. The information was very helpful. For now, however, we have decided to postpone this cruise until certain health problems can be resolved. Your input helped us a great deal and we are grateful. Be well.:)

Archived