Web Check In _ Help please

dcd777

I have accessed the web check in page on the MSC site and I have input all of the required info apart from the following fields "Passport Release B1y" excuse my ignorance but what does this mean ?, and ID Number and ID expiration date, we dont have ID cards in the UK :confused:. Leaving these sections blank causes all info on the form to be lost which is most frustrating, any help from UK cruisers who have filled the form would be appreciated.

It should say somewhere on your passport who it was issued by - i.e. what office issues the passport. Also, the ID # and expiration date is referring to the passport number and expiry date of the passport itself. All the info it asks for in this section should be off the main data page of your passport booklet.

All checked in thanks for your help, for anyone else from the UK who gets stuck on this, where it says "Passport Release B1y" type in UK this is the only answer it will accept, otherwise the form will fail and you will have to start over, you know youve got it right when it presents you with a form to print out.:)

I have accessed the web check in page on the MSC site and I have input all of the required info apart from the following fields "Passport Release B1y" excuse my ignorance but what does this mean ?, and ID Number and ID expiration date, we dont have ID cards in the UK :confused:. Leaving these sections blank causes all info on the form to be lost which is most frustrating, any help from UK cruisers who have filled the form would be appreciated.

There is a typo on the field. It propably means Passport released by (meaning the authority). I'm from Finland and filled there Police / Helsinki and it went through.

• 5 months later...

Thanks to everyone on this thread for your tips on this problem - finally we have managed to check in online, due to your help (....took four goes in total - over an hour!!!).

First of all, finding 'United Kingdom' in the drop-down list, at the beginning of the 'G' countries (after Ga...) was quite odd.

As mentioned before, the most important thing is to type 'UK' into the "Passport Release B1y" field, and duplicate your Passport Number and Expiration Dates into the 'ID' fields again.

We wouldn't have managed successfully without the help on here :) - thank you all.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi

Is it possible to check in on line on all MSC cruises, we are cruising out of Barcelona in October on the Orchestra. If so, how long before can you do this. Also does it save a lot of time. Is it possible if you have booked from a travel agent in Australia

Thanks

Hi

I am surprised to hear you say that there wont be hardly anyone checking on to the Orchestra in Barcelona as I thought that was Barcelona was the start of the cruise. When we booked we only had a choice on 10 balcony cabins left to chose from., and I believe there are approx 1200 cabins so that means a lot are already booked.

More information please

Janderra

Hi

I am surprised to hear you say that there wont be hardly anyone checking on to the Orchestra in Barcelona as I thought that was Barcelona was the start of the cruise. When we booked we only had a choice on 10 balcony cabins left to chose from., and I believe there are approx 1200 cabins so that means a lot are already booked.

More information please

Janderra

Janderrra, the reason Capriscruiser says this is because barcelons is not the main embarkation/disembarkation port for this cruise - it is Genoa where the vast majority will be starting their cruise. Some passengers will also board at other ports too.

On Med cruises MSC let passengers from different countries start their cruise part way through to make it more convenient for passengers to join (either to avoid having to fly or to provide better choice of flights)

So what is Genoa like to board but more importantly getting off, as we are on Fantasia in October and we have to get to Milan for a flight leaving mid afternoon?

It will be very busy but at least the ship may not be fullin October. Not sure which one you are on, so there is a possibility that the Melody could also be disembarking the same day.

Unless you have MSC transfers to Milan airport, in whcih case they'll get you off the ship in the first groups (around 10), they should have you at Malpensa(?) by 12.30-1.00 which will be fine if your (mid afternoon ) flight is later than 3pm. Any earlier and you could have a problem.

if you are intending to get there independently using train, then airport bus then, I would say it is unlikely. Even if you are allowed off in the early groups and get off by 10 at the latest, you'll need to get a taxi to the staion, and they don't queue for them, it can be an all out scrum. When I've come out (last), got one right away, when I came out earlier took an hour to get one. (That was mainly because I was solo and couldn't charge out in to the road with all my luggage to nab a taxi as they arrived - others in groups always beat me to it). Once you get to the station, you may have time to wait for the next train. Train journey time is going to be 2-2.5 hours depending on which one you get. Once you arrive at Milano centrale, you'll need to get the airport bus and again may have to wait 15-30 minutes before the next one is ready to go (buses leave from the back of the station). Then you've got a journey time of an hour to malpensa. las time I got the train to Milan after a cruise ending at the same time as you, I didn't get in to Milan central until after 1pm. Had I been going to the airport instead of to a hotel for a couple of days, the earliest that i would have been able to get to the airport would have probably been about 3 or just before, so earliest international flight of 5pm.

From a purely personal perspective(Bit risk adverse), I fly from genoa if I'm repsonsible for my transfers and if I have to go from Milan, I'd either go for an early evening flight and if this were not possible, I'd overnight in Milan. there are just to many uncertainties here to plan an exact time - unless f course you hire a car and drive yourselves which may work but public transport is a bit harder to judge. 5 minutes later off the ship or getting a taxi could mean a missed train which could mean a delay of 30 mins to an hour. Likewise yu could arrive just in time to miss a airport bus.

I will definately go with the MSC transfer to Milan. I would have left from Genoa but we are catching a plane from Heathrowe (at about midnight) and most of the flights from Genoa don't go to Heathrowe. The plane from Milan leaves at 4 pm. I was just concerned that, as the ship docks at 9 am, it could take time, even on the MSC transfers, to get to Milan.

Rosie

Gatwick flies direct to Genoa but presumably you have already booked now, so sorry if too late. Genoa airport is approx 20 min taxi ride to the port.

As for internet check in for Genoa - not worth it 'cos when you get there you all join the same queue anyway!

Archived