Waterproof Pants Question

Seahorse Lover

We leave on the Lindblad Explorer on January 16 and I have a PANTS question for all the CCers who have already experienced Antarctica. I ordered a pair of bibs for each of us online. When they arrived they fit great and are cozy warm. On the tag they are described as having "a waterproof coating on the underside and a water repellent finish on the outside. And are made of waterproof fabric." They are supposed to be great for snow and rain. Do you think that these are adequate for the conditions we will encounter? The price was much more reasonable than the gortex we've run across. For the landings can you pull your pants up to the top of your boots and keep them dry?

Thanks for your help!!!

We leave on the Lindblad Explorer on January 16 and I have a PANTS question for all the CCers who have already experienced Antarctica. I ordered a pair of bibs for each of us online. When they arrived they fit great and are cozy warm. On the tag they are described as having "a waterproof coating on the underside and a water repellent finish on the outside. And are made of waterproof fabric." They are supposed to be great for snow and rain. Do you think that these are adequate for the conditions we will encounter? The price was much more reasonable than the gortex we've run across. For the landings can you pull your pants up to the top of your boots and keep them dry?

Thanks for your help!!!

We have been to both the Arctic and Antarctic and not had GorTex pants either time. The main reason for the water proofing on the pants is for the wet landings as well as any stream crossings ashore. They also provide wind and water protection for the fleece layer. Inside layer is thermal underwear.

One tip, go with top flight gloves. Very important! Make sure the seams are water proof, not water resistant

Along with the Wellington-style boots, you should be good to go. I used pants from EMS and stayed bone dry. One very important point is the seal on the zipper seams.

I am sure there is probably a good packing/clothing list on the Lindblad or Nat Geo site. If not, try Silversea. We followed it and had no mishaps.

As to boots, are they provided? If not, a $25 pair at the Tractor Store (or similar) will work great. Don't want to lug them back after the cruise? Donate them to the ship. The crew will be glad to get them. Definiitely cheaper than a rental program.

Have a wonderful cruise. It is an incredible trip. I have posted full reviews of both trips - Arctic on Silver Explorer and Antarctic on L'Austral (Ponant).

Your question: "For the landings can you pull your pants up to the top of your boots and keep them dry?"

Last year (Silver Explorer) we were instructed to pull our waterproof pants down outside our boots for zodiac trips and wet landings. This prevents water splashing into boots, wetting and chilling socks and toes.

I second Mike's recommendations about gloves. Very important to keep fingers dry and warm. We wore light woollen undergloves under a heavier waterproof gloves . We could remove the outer layer for taking photos or if we were "warm" on land.

Thanks for your help!!!

We wore water resistant lined shell pants, like you get at Academy or similar, they worked fine. You will be fine, in fact you may have gone overboard a bit on pants. I would splurge on the gloves though, you will need a liner pair, wool or similar, and a waterproof pair. We had waterproof glacier gloves that had the little finger hole for cameras, they worked great. Once ashore, take off the waterproof gloves and just use the wool liners.

We fretted a lot about clothing also, and ended up taking more than we needed. It probably won't be as cold as you think, we experienced much colder weather when we lived in Connecticut than we ever did in AA.

Enjoy your cruise, it's a trip not to be missed.

Rc

For the landings can you pull your pants up to the top of your boots and keep them dry?

Thanks for your help!!!

This did give me a good laugh :) the whole point of the pants being waterproof is for the wet landings off the zodiacs. You can be getting off them in anything from ankle deep to thigh deep water so the last thing you will be wanting is to roll them up. Be more concerned about ensuring your feet stay dry.

The bibs sound amply waterproof to me from your description.

And yes - as above - pack about half the gear you think you will need. !

Archived