Transferring to TA.."you have to make final payment today"

Yes, another transferring to TA question. I'm an experienced cruiser and know all about transferring to a TA after making the reservation directly with RCI. I'm a long time member of these boards so I'm aware of the restrictions about what can and cannot be said regarding travel agents. I know that you have 60 days from initial booking to transfer to a TA so you may get some onboard credit and perks.

I was unhappy with the last online TA that I used for my last cruise in terms of service, although we got great OBC. So I'm looking for a new one. I called up several of the well-known online agencies that I've seen on these boards, and one of them today said that for my summer sailing, I would have to make final payment TODAY in order to get the benefits that he quoted me. I have at least one more month on RCI's website to make final payment. Is this guy trying to pull a fast one on me? What if I called them back tomorrow, would I not be included in the group he's trying to put me in? Would I not get any of the same benefits?

This question is not meant to be a debate about online TA's versus brick and mortar TA's. I'm just trying to figure out if this is common practice for one of the BIG online cruise travel agencies.

I have never been asked to make a final payment beyond a few days ahead of RC's final payment fit date. When I asked why it was even a few days ahead, I was told that their accounting dept. does the actual payment processing while my TA takes the info and sometimes there is a few days lag time. This seemed okay to me and I had used my TA several times with no issues. Not sure I'd be comfortable with a month ahead of time though.

Yes, another transferring to TA question. I'm an experienced cruiser and know all about transferring to a TA after making the reservation directly with RCI. I'm a long time member of these boards so I'm aware of the restrictions about what can and cannot be said regarding travel agents. I know that you have 60 days from initial booking to transfer to a TA so you may get some onboard credit and perks.

I was unhappy with the last online TA that I used for my last cruise in terms of service, although we got great OBC. So I'm looking for a new one. I called up several of the well-known online agencies that I've seen on these boards, and one of them today said that for my summer sailing, I would have to make final payment TODAY in order to get the benefits that he quoted me. I have at least one more month on RCI's website to make final payment. Is this guy trying to pull a fast one on me? What if I called them back tomorrow, would I not be included in the group he's trying to put me in? Would I not get any of the same benefits?

This question is not meant to be a debate about online TA's versus brick and mortar TA's. I'm just trying to figure out if this is common practice for one of the BIG online cruise travel agencies.

As it seems the TA has made you an offer that seems to expire if not paid in full today I would say yes it´s very possible that if you call back tomorrow you will not get the same benefits offered today.

As it seems the TA has made you an offer that seems to expire if not paid in full today I would say yes it´s very possible that if you call back tomorrow you will not get the same benefits offered today.

Limited time offer???

I'm an experienced cruiser and know all about transferring to a TA after making the reservation directly with RCI. final payment.

So why do you have to ask a question?:confused:

Thanks for your answer. Because I'm not sure if this is the norm for this big well-known cruise only online travel agent. Does that clear it up for you?

Many used car salesmen try the "you must decide today" close.

I'm thinking this is what it was. Just surprised. This is an online agent that many people on these boards have talked about (and again, I know we're not supposed to name names.) Was just trying to get insight into if this was normal for these types of agencies. I'm going to keep shopping around, as I don't want to make final payment until I have to as determined by RCI.

If you want the benefits offered for sure book today, If you want to take a chance wait.

My TA collects final payment a few weeks earlier. It doesn't bother me. It prevents accidents from happening as there would still be time to correct mistakes.

My card is always charged to the cruiseline, not to the TA.

My TA collects final payment a few weeks earlier. It doesn't bother me. It prevents accidents from happening as there would still be time to correct mistakes.

My card is always charged to the cruiseline, not to the TA.

Every time we have used a TA they have collected final payment a week or two before the cruise line official final payment date. It has also been charged directly to the cruise company, not the TA.

I was under the impression that they do this to ensure you do not miss the final payment date as some tend to be a bit slower in actual payment.

Every time we have used a TA they have collected final payment a week or two before the cruise line official final payment date. It has also been charged directly to the cruise company, not the TA.

I was under the impression that they do this to ensure you do not miss the final payment date as some tend to be a bit slower in actual payment.

Our's also asks for it a week or two early and they also charge directly to the cruise line. They keep me on hold while they contact Royal and apply the payment on the spot. I don't have any issues with paying it early, got to pay sooner or later. :)

Bill

The time for final payment on a group booking with a TA is different than RCCL's time frame. I believe it is 90 days not the standard 60 RCCL applies.

Cheers,

Ah, this is very helpful to know and explains the final payment demand for today.

But what would happen if I were to call in 3 days, less than 90 days to sail? Final payment would be due immediately as well?

One thing I don't understand about online TAs is whether or not I am being put into a group or whether each reservation is handled individually. Since TAs can't discount fares for RCI, just wondering what the point of the group is.

Typically this is due to the fact that the agency is putting you into a group. That is why the agency is able to offer you some perks. The bigger the group, the cruiseline has a group program that allows the agency to book groups and as an incentive to get passengers, there are various perks while cruising.

I had an experience using a different TA (over a weekend) at the same online agency I typically used. I was afraid the price I was seeing might disappear before Monday. Different TA at the agency told me the same as you. Found out later, from my regular TA he would wait to assign us into the group until later to avoid what you experienced. We've dealt with our regular TA for a long while. He knows us and knows we will be back to work with him. Not sure if he ever got credit for that cruise, but I have the right way to go about it if this ever happens again.

The time for final payment on a group booking with a TA is different than RCCL's time frame. I believe it is 90 days not the standard 60 RCCL applies.

Cheers,

That makes total sense. Whenever I have booked with a TA, it has been 90 days, but never wondered enough to ask why :p

Archived