Port tipping

Jalex63

From a country who do not tip and having not been to the States for a couple of years how much do you tip?

It used to be a buck a bag I think

Tipping is a personal and private thing so give what you feel is right for you.

Edited by Mr Luxury

Tipping is a personal and private thing so give what you feel is right for you.

That type of quote is the one that is always used when a person asks this question. However it is not at all useful to those who live in Countries where tipping is neither a part of everyday life, and is in fact frowned upon by the majority! People who ask this question ask it for a genuine reason....because they WANT to know the correct answer to be able to do the "right" thing when the circumstances arise!

To the OP, as another who comes from a non tipping country, I would probably stick with the $1 a bag thing, but if I had 3 or so bags, would round it off at $5. I have NO IDEA if that is correct, as no one has ever answered the question properly for me either!

That type of quote is the one that is always used when a person asks this question. However it is not at all useful to those who live in Countries where tipping is neither a part of everyday life, and is in fact frowned upon by the majority! People who ask this question ask it for a genuine reason....because they WANT to know the correct answer to be able to do the "right" thing when the circumstances arise!

To the OP, as another who comes from a non tipping country, I would probably stick with the $1 a bag thing, but if I had 3 or so bags, would round it off at $5. I have NO IDEA if that is correct, as no one has ever answered the question properly for me either!

If you look to see where the OP is from,you will find that it is Florida where I am sure they have encountered tipping before,unless there is an Australian community in Florida that we do not know about.:rolleyes:

I couldn't comment on how much people should tip or not.

Thankfully you can guess at what people should give. Well done.

Edited by Mr Luxury

From a country who do not tip and having not been to the States for a couple of years how much do you tip?

It used to be a buck a bag I think

I was talking about the poster who asked the question above.....the one you replied to...she is NOT from Florida. OK she isn't the OP, that was my mistake.

The "porters" handling the bags at Port Everglades (and most other North American ports) are in actual fact stevedores who are members of the Longshore Union (ILWU) and get paid very,very well.

Nevertheless a $5 tip for your bags is always appreciated and in many cases anticipated.

unless there is an Australian community in Florida that we do not know about.:rolleyes:

Mr Luxury have a look at a map

New Zealand, where we come from, is that little island which is across the ditch from Australia :D

We will keep with the buck a bag then

In NZ we also get free luggage trollies at airports :)

I rarely have more than a carry on, but do require wheelchair assistance getting on the boat. Those personnel are a private firm provided at the port and often sport a Seabourn scarf/tie. The person who has to schlepp me in a w/c gets $20.00. If it is one of the Seabourn wait staff, they refuse the tip and I send it to them via the Pursers in a thank you card.