Define "jeans"

Hockeylovinmom

I am wondering about the definition of "jeans" ( as in 'no jeans on the main dining room'. ) Does this mean only BLUE denim jeans? I have several pairs of skinny jeans in some nice bright colors - they are not heavy, but are cottony with a touch of spandex. They were sold as jeans, but (I think) look like nice fitting pants. What do you think?

Maybe these might be "smart casual" or "resort casual"

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Edited by Hockeylovinmom

I would ask which cruise line you are traveling on? I have been on Celebrity or HAL ships for example, and seen pants as you describe after 6:00 pm on non formal nights and they didn't seem out of place (especially worn with a fancier blouse, heels and jewlery), but I will be traveling on a Seabourn cruise in a few weeks and, like most luxury lines, any sort of denim or casual pants like that would seem out of place, except during the day.

Hope that answers your question. I like to dress up every night, but I realize not everyone does. I would defer to the ship's dress code per their website or your pre-cruise documents when in doubt.

Jeans are allowed in the MDR, just not on formal night.

That kind of blanket statement can be confusing.

There are some cruise lines that would frown on such pants in MDR at dinner while others are fine with them.

This is an answer that has to be 'cruise line specific'.

I would ask which cruise line you are traveling on? I have been on Celebrity or HAL ships for example, and seen pants as you describe after 6:00 pm on non formal nights and they didn't seem out of place (especially worn with a fancier blouse, heels and jewlery), but I will be traveling on a Seabourn cruise in a few weeks and, like most luxury lines, any sort of denim or casual pants like that would seem out of place, except during the day.

Hope that answers your question. I like to dress up every night, but I realize not everyone does. I would defer to the ship's dress code per their website or your pre-cruise documents when in doubt.

^^ Yes, this. :)

We are going on Celebrity. I know these are not formal wear, but I wondered if they were ok for casual wear.

We are going on Celebrity. I know these are not formal wear, but I wondered if they were ok for casual wear.

They should be fine on any Celebrity ship on any "casual" or "resort casual" night. (If anyone had read your OP they would have seen that you weren't asking about wearing them on formal nights) ;)

It has been a few years since I have cruised on "mass market" lines, so i can't say with certainty, but your cruise docs should state clearly if jeans are appropriate for all dining venues onboard or not, so I would always check there first.

Have a great time on your cruise. Celebrity is a great line.

They are fine on Celebrity, I wore dark washed skinny jeans tucked into boots on at least 5 nights of our last cruise.

Have a wonderful time.

By your signature, Hockeylovinmom, I take it it is a trans Atlantic followed by a Med cruise you are doing in April/May.

Your skinny jeans will be OK for the MDR on any night but formal. Just dress them up the same as you would going out to a nice restaurant at home.

Med cruises tend to be, but not always, a little less casual, and a lot more fashionable, than those sailing out of the USA.

Have a wonderful time sailing Celebrity.

Cheers, h.

PS go to your local bookstore and skim through a couple of European fashion mags before you go.

Edited by middlehaitch

Makes sense by day ... but in the evenings on cruise ships some public areas are cold enough to HANG MEAT! :eek:

LuLu

~~~

That's what I always think when I read the comments about the Caribbean being too hot for jeans. I will wear them at night on casual evenings once in a while. Mine are white and ankle length.

It's kind of like people thinking they have to bundle up at night onboard an Alaska cruise. The insides of the ships are pretty much the same temp inside no matter where you are in the world.

So, dress like you would for any casual evening on a mass market line. Regular clothes with a sweater, light jacket or a wrap if you prefer.

That kind of blanket statement can be confusing.

There are some cruise lines that would frown on such pants in MDR at dinner while others are fine with them.

This is an answer that has to be 'cruise line specific'.

Which one aren't they allowed on for non formal night?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Forums mobile app

By your signature, Hockeylovinmom, I take it it is a trans Atlantic followed by a Med cruise you are doing in April/May.

Your skinny jeans will be OK for the MDR on any night but formal. Just dress them up the same as you would going out to a nice restaurant at home.

Med cruises tend to be, but not always, a little less casual, and a lot more fashionable, than those sailing out of the USA.

Have a wonderful time sailing Celebrity.

Cheers, h.

PS go to your local bookstore and skim through a couple of European fashion mags before you go.

Yes, that's us. This is our first Celebrity cruise, first TA, and first Med! We are very excited, needless to say!

Oh Hockeylovinmom, I would be so excited too, well I was.

My very first cruise was a Med on Celebrity and now I am hooked on cruising and love Celebrity.

You will have a wonderful time especially doing it B2B with a transatlantic which will give you time to rest. Med cruises can be exhausting, there is so much to see and do, and they tend to be very port intensive.

It looks like your itinerary is close to the one we did in 2009. It is wonderful and exhausing we walked miles every day. Make sure you have some comfortable walking shoes.

Cheers, h

Oh Hockeylovinmom, I would be so excited too, well I was.

My very first cruise was a Med on Celebrity and now I am hooked on cruising and love Celebrity.

You will have a wonderful time especially doing it B2B with a transatlantic which will give you time to rest. Med cruises can be exhausting, there is so much to see and do, and they tend to be very port intensive.

It looks like your itinerary is close to the one we did in 2009. It is wonderful and exhausing we walked miles every day. Make sure you have some comfortable walking shoes.

Cheers, h

Do you have any recommendations on shoes? Any other hints? (:

Which one aren't they allowed on for non formal night?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Forums mobile app

I doubt you'd see many jeans in MDR on Seabourn, Cunard (no blue jeans after 6 P.M.) or Silversea.

Windstar does not permit jeans for dinner.

Edited by sail7seas

I have some trouser cut jeans which are not obviously denim. One pair is brown and the other is navy blue but not a denim blue which has white threads going one direction and blue the other. Both pair are have creases . If one is wearing an untucked top or tunic which covers the rivets, I would defy anyone to tell that they were jeans.

Guest maddycat

They'll be fine for casual nights on Celebrity.

Guest maddycat
I would rethink jeans in 80-90 degree weather. Bring your summer things.Think capris.

She'll be inside an air conditioned ship. It will be very cool.