San Juan, PR pier - what to do in scooter?

Cattitude

We were in San Juan for 2 days last May before our cruise. We travel with our daughter who is full time wheelchair user. From what we were told, after you take the ferry over to the factory, there is a shuttle bus to take you to the tour. It is not accessible. I'm told the tour isn't much either. The area around the terminal is very accessible. There is a Senior Frogs to the left of the terminal. Even though it's a chain, the food was very good. Further down the opposite side of the street is a very good restaurant. Sorry I don't remember the name. As for the rest of Old San Juan, it is mostly cobblestone streets and very hilly. Through my research, I only found one accessible van on the island. He gives tours but is very expensive. I hope this helps.

Also, if you get stopped by an American man that starts to tell you that him and his father got mugged a few nights ago and his father is in the hospital, walk away. It's a scam and all he wants is money.

We find San Juan not very accessible at all. It's a shame. :(

Curb cuts are not very good - we ran into broken concrete or uneven patches of pavement.

And cobblestones - forget it! Pure misery for DH.

We did go to Señor Frogs for the free wifi. Just ordered a drink and nachos.

your best bet really is to look at some of the you tube videos and decide for yourself, I use a powerchair and apart from the cobblestone and that's only in the street the sidewalks are a little narrow but there are curbcuts at every intersection and overall access is not bad considering it is in fact old san juan ! explore and enjoy !

I have done San Juan a few times in a wheelchair, it is do able, just need to plan your route

The spacing between the cobblestones can catch a small wheel, so be careful

I was able to push from the pier to El Morro, just need help getting up one big ass hill

• 2 weeks later...
We are in Puerto Rico from 3:30 pm to 10:00pm. What is there to do near the San Juan pier in a mobility scooter. Does anyone know a nice place we can have dinner?

Thank you,

Cattitude

I am in an Hoveround wheelchair. DW and I went to the Firefly, very close to where Royal Caribbean ships dock. Food is excellent: Asian fare with Latino ingredients. Call ahead and ask for Violeta. 787 948 0499.

Address is 364 Fortaleza.

Good luck.

Herb :confused: :confused: