Inexpensive Things to Do In Ketchikan

Kat128

Anyone have any recommended budget friendly Ketchikan tours? Or fun things to do? I'm planning two expensive excursions in other ports so I'm trying to save a little while in Ketchikan. Open to any ideas. Thanks!

We live in Washington, where many of the exotic excursions can pretty much be done here and for less money, so our focus is on seeing the towns we're visiting. I haven't gone to Ketchikan yet, but I've determined the following via research for my own trip.

If you like walking around or hiking, the visitor center has walking tour maps. You can see some of the totem sites in the downtown area for hardly any money. There's apparently a dock or something where you can go and look for whales and eagles. The town has a whole list of little things you can do downtown. http://www.experienceketchikan.com/support-files/ketchikan_maps_downtown.pdf

http://www.experienceketchikan.com/support-files/ketchikan_maps_west.pdf

There is also a visitor center run by the parks. That one charges a small entry fee also. Those of us who have the interagency annual pass can get 4 people in for free (If you plan on visiting several parks this year, it's a good bargain). Also, if any of your group is over 62, sign up for a park senior pass, $10 for lifetime, which will get 4 people into federal park run venues.

I think Ketchikan will be one of the more interesting places to do a walking tour. Have fun!

FREE: pick up a map at the visitor center and enjoy a self guided walking tour of the town. Or use the map at the bottom of this page:

http://www.experienceketchikan.com/creek-street-ketchikan.html

UNDER $2: take the city bus to Totem Bight ... the totems are colorful and interesting and it's a lovely setting on the waterfront.

http://www.experienceketchikan.com/things-to-do-in-alaska.html

There are other suggestions within that link.

A few years ago, I downloaded an audio tour to my IPod that I used with the free map. I don't have the link anymore but I think it was around $12. If you're interested you could probably find it (or similar one) online. It added a lot to the walk.

Anyone have any recommended budget friendly Ketchikan tours? Or fun things to do? I'm planning two expensive excursions in other ports so I'm trying to save a little while in Ketchikan. Open to any ideas. Thanks!

Walk around it ? All the best, Tony

[YOUTUBE]Yq9hXgdj_J8[/YOUTUBE]

The first time we went we took the duck tour (around $40) and then walked around town and went to the Totem Heritage Museum ($5 admission).

The second time we just walked around. Creek Street was great for shopping and just poking around, Dolly's museum was around $10 to tour around in, we walked to the salmon ladder and along Married Man's Trail. We didn't take the tram but I think it was $4.00 each way.

We found this was the best place to get authentic Alaskan souvenirs. There are lots of totem poles around town and in front of homes, so you can see some without leaving town if you don't have time.

Last time I was there, one of my travel companions had some mobility issues. We caught a cab at the Visitor Center and went to Cape Fox Lodge to see their totems, and had a bite to eat (stunning views if you can get a table by the window). Then we put the one with mobility problems into the funicular so she could get to Creek Street, while two of us walked the Married Man's Trail to meet her on Creek Street. I then walked to the Totem Heritage Center while the others shopped. Total cost for 3 of us (excluding the shopping the others did :eek: ) was about $75 or $80 including cab, nibbles, funicular and Totem Center.

WOW, Tony!!! Thank you so much for posting that video. I had planned to spend the day in Ketchikan doing a "walk around" and your video has convinced me I have made the right decision! We are getting close to our trip and I'm happy to know that we have made the best choices (for us) on excursions!

Thanks again for the video!!!:)

Edited by DentoAlaska

We have visited Ketchikan several times and most of the time just walked around town. However, on our last visit there we took the city bus to Totem Bight Park. It was great. The bus at that time cost 50 cents each way and there is no fee for Totem Bight. The park has many totem poles and is on the water. We watched a Disney ship sail into port from there. We returned to town by bus and walked around town, took the funicular up to Fox Lodge and back down, and walked along the waterfront before boarding the ship. It was a fun day and cheap.

WOW, Tony!!! Thank you so much for posting that video. I had planned to spend the day in Ketchikan doing a "walk around" and your video has convinced me I have made the right decision! We are getting close to our trip and I'm happy to know that we have made the best choices (for us) on excursions!

Thanks again for the video!!!:)

Thanks Den. I had a bit of luck with the weather, which always helps, but this was the last day of a cruise which followed a week driving the Canadian Rockies so it fitted the bill perfectly. Hope you have the same weather :)

I'm going to give specific information for Totem Bight. :) The regular bus fare is $1 each way, reduced senior rates. The bus leaves downtown closest to dock 2 and 3, from the corner of Dock and Front Street. From the cruise docks- you have to cross the street, - Silver bus line. Only 1 bus per hour, leaving 25 after the hour. During mid day, busy timeframes- they WILL deny boarding a full bus. No they don't send another one. IF you see lines of people milling around, then walk over to an earlier stop at the City Museum- former Library which is near Creek St. There is a bus shelter out front.

I recommend the real early day visitors print out and take a Totem guide sheet with them. I have greatly enjoyed taking the 6:25a bus, with those early port times. I recommend allowing 3 hours for the round trip.

Consider taking a look next door at Potlatch Park, during "business" hours, may be an opportunity for a look at some totem carvers. The shed is out back.

The return bus leaves at 13 after the hour.

Walk around it ? All the best, Tony

[YOUTUBE]Yq9hXgdj_J8[/YOUTUBE]

Thank you so much for that fantasic video of Ketchikan. We will be there the beginning of July and noticed the dress is similar to our weather (Fla) during our "winter" . (maybe not as hot lol) good to know. The sights look just wonderful and looking forward to walking around the town after our Misty Fjords bear excursion. You have made a full day for us. Thanks again.

Edited by Missymo

Last summer we rented fishing gear right at Dolly's and fished off the bridge right in town. Lots of salmon in the creek, but they wouldn't touch our hooks? It was inexpensive and a nice relaxing way to spend a few hours.

Tony, do you have more videos from your cruise? If so, I'd love to see them. Could you post links to them?

Hi Judy (and Missymo)

A link to the set from that cruise is the first one on my 'signature' below, with the Inside Passage ones being the first 6 in that playlist. These are the other 5 :

[YOUTUBE]KV1XSxkNCl4[/YOUTUBE] [YOUTUBE]GOMA2HeTGJw[/YOUTUBE] [YOUTUBE]3WSaRzt5N0Q[/YOUTUBE] [YOUTUBE]aFpz4AHOcUs[/YOUTUBE] [YOUTUBE]hLutZrgzE6I[/YOUTUBE]

I didn't see any bears in Alaska, but saw plenty in the Rockies the previous week, and apart from at Juneau the weather was very good. I hope you are as lucky as I was. All the best, Tony

We had a great day for very little money, We had lunch at AnnaBelles (is right on main street), great place and cheap. Bought a T shirt at the restaurant, then took a Bus for $1.00 RT per person which was fun way to see things, and we went to Totem Bight State Park, beautiful place, and they have all kinds of Fantastic Totems, they have lots of tours groups, so we just tagged along. Then took bus back to town.

I'm going to give specific information for Totem Bight. :) The regular bus fare is $1 each way, reduced senior rates. The bus leaves downtown closest to dock 2 and 3, from the corner of Dock and Front Street. From the cruise docks- you have to cross the street, - Silver bus line. Only 1 bus per hour, leaving 25 after the hour. During mid day, busy timeframes- they WILL deny boarding a full bus. No they don't send another one. IF you see lines of people milling around, then walk over to an earlier stop at the City Museum- former Library which is near Creek St. There is a bus shelter out front.

I recommend the real early day visitors print out and take a Totem guide sheet with them. I have greatly enjoyed taking the 6:25a bus, with those early port times. I recommend allowing 3 hours for the round trip.

Consider taking a look next door at Potlatch Park, during "business" hours, may be an opportunity for a look at some totem carvers. The shed is out back.

The return bus leaves at 13 after the hour.

Thanks for this specific info on the city bus. Its exactly what I was looking for!

We took Budget Queen's advice when we went to Totem Bight--catching the bus at the stop near the City Museum. We were glad we did, because we got seats. Some people who got on at the stop nearest the pier had to stand. Fortunately the bus drive let everyone on.