Volcano national park to lava tree state park to rainbow falls ?

uvasag

Is it possible to finish all 3 in the given time. Our ship docks at 9:00 am and realistically by the time we get off the ship and get our rental car it will probably be around 10:00 am. We have to return the rental and be back at the ship by 3:00 pm. Do you think we will have enough time to drive to lava tree state park and rainbow falls after finishing the VNP ? We plan on doing the Thurston lava tubes, the crater rim drive and the Jaegger museum lookout at the VNP.

I think that's really pushing it. You're talking about an hour to drive to the park, a MINIMUM of 2 hours within the park to see what you want to see (and that's really not going to do it justice). Driving through the park can be very slow - 2 lane roads, very winding in some sections. Then it's almost another hour to get to Lava Trees, maybe spend 45 minutes there. Plan on another 40 minutes or so to get to Rainbow Falls, some time there, then turn in the car, wait for shuttles back to the ship. And you're probably going to want to stop somewhere for lunch.

I think I'd do the volcano and take your time there - it's a unique experience not duplicated anywhere in the world. Grab a bite to eat in the town of Volcano, then head back toward Hilo and Lava Trees. From that point on, see what time you have left. I'd make Rainbow Falls your last priority - it's lovely, but you can see waterfalls in so many places in the world, that it's really not that unique.

I would skip Lava Tree State Park. I live just down the road from there, and while it is pretty and interesting, it is very small and not worth the time it takes to drive to and from there. Save it for when you return and spend a day touring that area of Puna. I would concentrate on VNP.....it is a fascinating place and lots of fun to explore.