Celebrity St-John on your own

nimiq

Hello all,

We are going in March on the Silouette and saw this excursion in my planner for our stop in St Thomas.

It's says St-Jhon on your own for $39.

Overview of what is in for the price :

Immerse yourself in St. John’s culture, history, and pristine natural wonders on this self-guided exploration of St. John’s treasures. Begin your adventure with a scenic ferry journey along St. Thomas’s spectacular southern coast. St. Thomas is two-thirds National Park land. You’ll have four hours to discover the island’s pristine coastlines, wilderness, and culture. Bask on a white sand beach, snorkel the clear waters of Trunk Bay, or unwind in the warm sunshine. Visit the Arawak archeological site and uncover the island’s fascinating past. For over a thousand years the island has been home to many civilizations. Or, revel in St. Thomas’s modern charms browsing the boutiques and shops at Cruz Bay. Later, a private ferry awaits to take you back to the ship, passing St. Thomas’s coves, hotels, stunning coast, and luxury villas.

Is that possible ? Has anyone done it via the ship ?

If I recall the last time I did it on my own without the ship it rounded up pretty much the same price as listed.

My actual question is why would I do it on my own if the ship has it down to a reasonable price now.

Thanks all

Eric

Hello all,

We are going in March on the Silouette and saw this excursion in my planner for our stop in St Thomas.

It's says St-Jhon on your own for $39.

Overview of what is in for the price :

Immerse yourself in St. John’s culture, history, and pristine natural wonders on this self-guided exploration of St. John’s treasures. Begin your adventure with a scenic ferry journey along St. Thomas’s spectacular southern coast. St. Thomas is two-thirds National Park land. You’ll have four hours to discover the island’s pristine coastlines, wilderness, and culture. Bask on a white sand beach, snorkel the clear waters of Trunk Bay, or unwind in the warm sunshine. Visit the Arawak archeological site and uncover the island’s fascinating past. For over a thousand years the island has been home to many civilizations. Or, revel in St. Thomas’s modern charms browsing the boutiques and shops at Cruz Bay. Later, a private ferry awaits to take you back to the ship, passing St. Thomas’s coves, hotels, stunning coast, and luxury villas.

Is that possible ? Has anyone done it via the ship ?

If I recall the last time I did it on my own without the ship it rounded up pretty much the same price as listed.

My actual question is why would I do it on my own if the ship has it down to a reasonable price now.

Thanks all

Eric

We did a catmaran trip to St. John's. The island is really beautiful and the trip over is fun. I can't imagine that your trip is only $39. It looks like they are only offering the ferry over and that's it. Does it tell you about transportation from the dock to the ferry site which is either downtown or at a harbor about 20 min. away ?

Celebrity is now using Crown Bay rather than Havensite in St. Thomas. Crown Bay is across the bay from Havensite.. It is much easier to take the ferry provided by the ship's excursion rather than taking a cab to Red Hook then take the ferry to St. John. No worries about getting back to the ship on time. Once you get to St. John, you will be on your own. I took the excursion that included the National Park. I was disappointed in the tour. Saw nothing other than the park. I would have liked to see more of the island. It will leave you at Trunk Bay but you have to pay for a cab (extra $8)back to the ferry area. Just take a cab to Trunk Bay and enjoy the beach.

Edited by hancock

We never use ship excursions but we used the ship's on your own to St. John's the last two times - and it worked really well. We felt it gave us all the time we needed to go to Trunk Bay and snorkel, and then into town for lunch and a little shopping. And the added ease of knowing we wouldn't miss our ferry.

We never use ship excursions but we used the ship's on your own to St. John's the last two times - and it worked really well. We felt it gave us all the time we needed to go to Trunk Bay and snorkel, and then into town for lunch and a little shopping. And the added ease of knowing we wouldn't miss our ferry.

Hi,

Ok but in the price was your cab ride also paid for to trunk bay or you had to pay extra ? It's seems that the $39 is only for the ferry ride ?

Eric

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Hi,

Ok but in the price was your cab ride also paid for to trunk bay or you had to pay extra ? It's seems that the $39 is only for the ferry ride ?

Eric

Sent from my iPad using Forums

It was walking distance from the ship to the ferry the last time we did it. No taxi necessary!

When we did it last year we had to pay for the taxi once we got off the ferry. It was a nominal amount - maybe $5 or $8 pp? The one we used was basically a pickup truck with benches in it and a canopy over the top which they would fill with maybe 8 people before they'd leave. The driver would stop at whatever beach people hollered out.

I think I had compared the cost of doing it ourselves last year and the ship's version was around the same price and I liked not worrying about missing the ferry.

The only downside was waiting for everyone doing the excursion to show up that morning. It ate into our time a little but depending on what time the public ferry runs it might not matter - you might rush over there if you do it on your own and have to wait anyway.

I have done this excursion before and it's well worth it. The ferry picks you up at your ship and delivers you back to your ship. Once arrived at St. John, it's a quick taxi trip to and from the beach of your choice. Now that Celebrity is docking in Crown Bay, there's even more reason to take this excursion. Getting to Red Hook would involve a longer cab ride through all the downtown St. Thomas traffic. I'll bet it would cost more to do it this way.

Book fast, this one fills up fast and they usually have to add more.

Linda

• 1 year later...
7 hours ago, metairiegal said:

We are thinking of booking this.  

Couple of ferry questions:

How big is the ferry?

Are there restrooms?

How rough of a ride is it?

From previous posts, it seems like the ferry comes to the ship and you walk to it?

I took this 2 years ago so it might have changed.  We got on the ferry at the dock although you had to walk about 1/4 miles to get to the ferry type boat.  Our trip was a bit rough because there was a quick storming coming through and it poured!  So us that were in the open got soaked.  Once it passed (10 minutes) it was fine.  My wife took cover down below.  

It's a decent size boat but they did pack it full as it was us and RCCL.  The boat did have a bathroom but the trip really isn't that long.  I'd do it again