Avalon Normandy cruise--Normandy Abbey or Villages tours

Fairfield Nana

Would really like to hear some thoughts on these two tours same time/day out of Caudebec--We are trying to decide which one. I realize there is probably a bit of repetition between the two, but which is more tranquil and has the best photo ops? Any advice will be much appreciated!

• 3 weeks later...

I just looked at Avalon's website, in hopes of a better description. Do you have a more detailed description, since you are going on the cruise?

While I haven't sailed this route with Avalon, I have with Uniworld. My experience with the thatched roofs (which sounds like the Normandy Villages Route) was that it was a drive-by type experience. Most of the ones we saw were a cluster of 8-10 buildings, and that was it. And, our tour guide said these were some of the biggest concentrations of thatched roof buildings. I can't comment on the Abbeys route.

I would add, however, that I would absolutely do the optional excursion to Honfleur. If you want photo ops, Honfleur is the place.

Robin

I posted an extensive trip report of my cruise with Avalon last year. I did the thatched roof tour & enjoyed it. We were on a bus for a bit but had time to walk around & take pictures. Those who went on the Abbey option had very positive feedback as well.

• 2 weeks later...

We did the Paris - Normandy cruise on Avalon in Oct./16. The Abbaye de Jumieges is approximately a 30 minutes bus ride from Caudebec. The site, a monastery ruin was huge with interesting architecture for photo ops. It has sporadic seating areas where one can sit & enjoy the tranquil surroundings.

From here we drove for approximately 20 minutes to Abbaye Saint Wandrille, a working monastery. We were met by a charismatic monk, Brother Lu, who gave us a bit of history & had a question and answer period. He then took us around to some parts of the monastery that was not close for renovations. This tour ended up at the monastery's shop where you can buy various products made by the monastery.

We chose the abby tours as we saw enough thatched rooves in Copenhagen.

Like the other poster mentioned, Honfluer, an optional paid tour is REALLY picturesque, if you want to take pictures.

Sent from my GT-P5113 using Forums mobile app

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Just off Avalon Creativity and did the thatched roof tour. Very nice. Walk around village. Then to town for tour and free time. Enjoyed coffee and pastries in the square and watched people. Good photo ops. The whole cruise was great. Crew stupendous.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app