moped rental

asilbey

I have heard horror stories about riding mopeds. My boss and wife were in Cozumel on a diving excursion. As they were returning back to the ship, they arrived on scene of a moped accident. A mother, daughter and friend were each riding on one and the mother was hit by a car. A doctor who happened to be on the diving excursion went to see if he could help. When he returned to the van he told the others that he doubted the mother would survive as the neuro type of services(or lack of) on the island would not be enough to help this mother. My boss and his wife were really frightened by what they saw and highly suggested that I never rent one. I think I have even seen that cruise lines suggest against renting them too. I have seen many people riding them on the island but it is not for me.

I have heard horror stories about riding mopeds. My boss and wife were in Cozumel on a diving excursion. As they were returning back to the ship, they arrived on scene of a moped accident. A mother, daughter and friend were each riding on one and the mother was hit by a car. A doctor who happened to be on the diving excursion went to see if he could help. When he returned to the van he told the others that he doubted the mother would survive as the neuro type of services(or lack of) on the island would not be enough to help this mother. My boss and his wife were really frightened by what they saw and highly suggested that I never rent one. I think I have even seen that cruise lines suggest against renting them too. I have seen many people riding them on the island but it is not for me.

Thanks! I've been seeing posts that it is not safe to do.

Thanks! I've been seeing posts that it is not safe to do.

I live in Cozumel and I ride a scooter....BUT

1. I know how to ride (easy transition from motorcycle in Canada)

2. I KNOW WHERE I AM GOING

3. I know the rules of the road here.

a) which roads (Avenida) has the right of way and which ones (Calle) has a stop sign. Most of the time

b) most right hand lanes are not for slower traffic at the stop light but to make a right turn without stopping, if the way is clear. This is a pet peeve of ours here.

c) don't drive northbound on the coastal road on the west side of the island and don't drive on the coastal ride at all on the east/wild side of the island

d) know and expect the unexpected from the locals so drive defensively

4. We hear and see so many accidents here. Mostly tourists and some are critical or even fatal.

As a Local we recommend that you rent a cheap car (VW bug) instead of a scooter. And definitely DON'T DRINK & DRIVE.

Betty

I live in Cozumel and I ride a scooter....BUT

1. I know how to ride (easy transition from motorcycle in Canada)

2. I KNOW WHERE I AM GOING

3. I know the rules of the road here.

a) which roads (Avenida) has the right of way and which ones (Calle) has a stop sign. Most of the time

b) most right hand lanes are not for slower traffic at the stop light but to make a right turn without stopping, if the way is clear. This is a pet peeve of ours here.

c) don't drive northbound on the coastal road on the west side of the island and don't drive on the coastal ride at all on the east/wild side of the island

d) know and expect the unexpected from the locals so drive defensively

4. We hear and see so many accidents here. Mostly tourists and some are critical or even fatal.

As a Local we recommend that you rent a cheap car (VW bug) instead of a scooter. And definitely DON'T DRINK & DRIVE.

Betty

I agree with not renting a scooter but could you explain the particular dangers with 3c, northbound on coastal road ( do you mean old highway - I thought it was one-way now) and east side coastal road (again, do you mean the old highway - are scooters not allowed on the bike route, how about electric bikes)?

• 1 month later...

My husband and I have been to Cozumel many times and about half the time we have rented mopeds. I will say that we were dumb college kids usually and I'm shocked no one got hurt. We were drinking and acting foolish. I did own a moped at the time, but still, it's better to not rent one in an unfamiliar place. I've heard so many horror stories about crashes and fatalities.

I agree with not renting a scooter but could you explain the particular dangers with 3c, northbound on coastal road ( do you mean old highway - I thought it was one-way now) and east side coastal road (again, do you mean the old highway - are scooters not allowed on the bike route, how about electric bikes)?

Sorry I didn't answer sooner. Just saw your post asking for clarification.

Electric bikes are okay.

The road on the east side of the island (the old highway) is for bicycles ONLY. No cars or scooters. Someone just got caught there this week and I wonder what the ticket cost was.

The road on the west side of the island (old highway running parallel to the new highway) is for cars & scooters going south ONLY. North is for bicycles only. There is a spot of two where a motorized vehicle can run north for a few hundred feet.

Example: Pulling out of SkyReef you can go north to the cut-over road to the new highway.

If you want to circle the whole island for sight-seeing; I recommend going south of town and southern cruise piers to where you see the sign to the Caleta (old marina). Continue straight on the road ahead (vs turning right into the marina) and this will take you pretty much to the southern end of the west side of the island. There are lots of places to pull off there but be careful of the traffic coming in and out of the hotels and resorts. Once you hit the road with the bars blocking it, go left to get up on the new highway. Continue south (right turn) and follow it around to the east side of the island.

The southern tip has Punta Sur ecological park plus a bar or two. Then head back out and go north but on the newer road; not the one right along the water. There are lots of places to park and walk down or you can stop at several beach bars/restaurants along the way.

Follow the road until you must make a left turn and head west back to town.

Sorry I didn't answer sooner. Just saw your post asking for clarification.

Electric bikes are okay.

The road on the east side of the island (the old highway) is for bicycles ONLY. No cars or scooters. Someone just got caught there this week and I wonder what the ticket cost was.

The road on the west side of the island (old highway running parallel to the new highway) is for cars & scooters going south ONLY. North is for bicycles only. There is a spot of two where a motorized vehicle can run north for a few hundred feet.

Example: Pulling out of SkyReef you can go north to the cut-over road to the new highway.

If you want to circle the whole island for sight-seeing; I recommend going south of town and southern cruise piers to where you see the sign to the Caleta (old marina). Continue straight on the road ahead (vs turning right into the marina) and this will take you pretty much to the southern end of the west side of the island. There are lots of places to pull off there but be careful of the traffic coming in and out of the hotels and resorts. Once you hit the road with the bars blocking it, go left to get up on the new highway. Continue south (right turn) and follow it around to the east side of the island.

The southern tip has Punta Sur ecological park plus a bar or two. Then head back out and go north but on the newer road; not the one right along the water. There are lots of places to park and walk down or you can stop at several beach bars/restaurants along the way.

Follow the road until you must make a left turn and head west back to town.

Thanks for the clarification. I didn’t know anyone could ride north on old highway on west side. I do remember our taxi meeting some northbound cyclists that were all over the road soon after the change and I thought they were in the wrong. Apparently not, but still seemed very dangerous.

• 2 months later...

Old thread but thought I would add my EXPERIENCE.

I have over 20 years of motorcycle driving experience. When I rented a moped in Cozumel it took me appr 15-20 mins before I felt safe. Within an hour I was riding in the busiest of traffic without issue. The only thing I would suggest is to keep a good look out and go with the flow of traffic. I wouldn't suggest the congested areas unless you are an experienced rider.