Millennium 2019 drydock

Beebobby59

Just found out our cruise has been cancelled because ship is going into dry dock very upset as we have already booked our flights to Hong Kong you would think that Celebrity would notify their customers before the flights were available as they must have known this for long time my husband says we will not be sailing with Celebrity again

Thanks - strange it is conflicting information.

I noticed on the cruiseplanner the ship is offering bookings in mid-February, so that makes sense.

We are scheduled for March 30th, so it looks like we are ok either way.

Sorry your plans were cancelled. What did they offer you in way of compensation? We have had this cruise booked since the itineraries were released and would be so disappointed if that happened to us.

As far as not sailing Celebrity again - this happens on all cruise lines, frequently if a large group charters the ship. I'm not sure there's anyway around it.

The compensation is a paltry 200 dollars per cabin and only on a choice of 3 cruises and none of them suitable as they don’t match up with our flights and this is not the first time that celebrity has done this to us in fact the last time I found out myself they had cancelled our cruise as it had been removed from their website and we contacted them so you can see our point.As the cruise before our sail date is cancelled as well they could have notified us before the flights were available We know that ships must be refitted from time to time they could have let us know sooner as our flights cost us 3000 pounds so we are having a land holiday

I would ask for consideration for the flights. Can you not pay a change fee per person and change the flight dates? I thought Celebrity will usually reimburse you for that if you have proof that you're already booked.

Just found out our cruise has been cancelled because ship is going into dry dock very upset as we have already booked our flights to Hong Kong you would think that Celebrity would notify their customers before the flights were available as they must have known this for long time my husband says we will not be sailing with Celebrity again

Your issue may be with your Travel Agent, We found out about the change in dry dock date from May 1 to January on February 16th before flights could be booked. I called friends and they told me there travel agent never told them and were so glad I called to let them know. When did you book your flights?

I just checked and I still would not be able to book flights from Florida on Jan. 19th. so I think they did try to make the change before anyone purchased tickets.

Edited by southernbreezes

Your issue may be with your Travel Agent, We found out about the change in dry dock date from May 1 to January on February 16th before flights could be booked. I called friends and they told me there travel agent never told them and were so glad I called to let them know. When did you book your flights?

I just checked and I still would not be able to book flights from Florida on Jan. 19th. so I think they did try to make the change before anyone purchased tickets.

Flights from the US come out around 330 days in advance. European and Canadian come out around 356. All of those January cruises people could have booked flights.

The drydock was originally scheduled for May as a standard 12 day visit, but the announcement of the "Celebrity Revoultion" revitalization effort necessitated extended drydock periods of 45+ days, so the schedule had to be shuffled. There are a LOT of logistics that go into something like this from supply chain (materials, furnishings, etc) to labor to available drydock space. While they work those contracts out they leave the schedule open as the dates could change dramtically based on even the smallest of components not aligning. Once all the contracts are in place then, and only then, do cruise lines contact affected customers. They do try and do it far enough out that it has as minimal an impact as possible, but when cruise schedules are released 18-24 months in advance you will always have displaced/unhappy clients.

As others have said if you are being charged flight change fees I would press Celebrity to offer additional compensation for the changes.

• 2 months later...

We are scheduled for the first week of March 2019. It looks like our cruise is ok so we will be purchasing our air tickets shortly. Are they doing anything to update the cabins? What is scheduled for the update?

Are they doing anything to update the cabins?

Nah, not much is being done to the cabins. ;)

Brian Abel, Vice President of Hotel Operations atCelebrity Cruises, said that the cruise line isn’t just redesigning the staterooms, but tearing them down and building them back up. He went on to say that the “incredible new design by HBA is sleek, contemporary and comfortable, and speaks volumes about our commitment to the guest experience”.

The new staterooms will feature 11,579 new Cashmere Mattresses and Bedding Collection. They will also be thoughtfully reconfigured to maximize storage and efficiency.

I know policies are different in the UK. And I'm sorry you are dealing with this mess. And I agree that celebrity has an inadequate cancellation policy.

We had a similar situation of a change of schedule with another cruise line. Only 6 months ahead of departure. We are in the US. Both airlines gave us credit towards future flights even though they were rock bottom, totally non refundable bookings.

Didn't you have travel insurance? That should enable a refund (again, in the US).

All that said, booking flights a year in advance is something that is fraught with risks of cancellations and schedule changes from both cruise lines and airlines. I once had a hotel reservation cancelled 3 months in advance because they booked the entire hotel for a group and dumped the rest of us.

Edited by jkgourmet

Interesting topic I’m looking into a December cruise on the ship that ends in Hong Kong. Now I question what risk do you take thinking they might pull it in earlier?

Last we cruised her was 2014 and needed an overhaul then. Hope they move Aqua Class down away from under the pool and buffet

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Don't know if they will pull it earlier but the ship gets a number of complaints about being tired and needing to be upgraded. So it will be even more tired by December. We were originally schedule to do the January 2019 cruise to SE Asia but moved it to 2020 due to the number of reviews about the ship in its current condition.

We did a Southeast Asia cruise on Constellation in March 2017 and a fabulous cruise to Japan on Millennium in October 2017. Here‘s our review: https://www.travelandcruise.net/travellove_en/Our-Trips/Celebrity-Millennium-Japan/celebrity-millennium-japan.html

We boarded Millennium again past March cruising South Korea, Taiwan and China. On none of these (and previous) cruises on M class was the state of the ship or the age an issue. While they are not brand new we feel the ladies are well taken care of. If you are not one of the kind searching for faults, you will enjoy your cruise as much as we did.

Of course the refurbishments on the ships will be stunning. We are happy to see they will be around for a while and we are looking forward to experience a rejuvenated M class. Out of curiosity for the new, not because we feel they are tired!

• 3 months later...

We just returned from B2B cruises on Celebrity Eclipse. During a conversation with the captain we discussed that our next Celebrity cruise would be beginning of March 2019 on Millenium and he told us we'd be among the first to sail on a totally refurbished ship. Here's a news story about the planned re-do of all ships in the fleet: https://www.cnbc.com/2018/08/23/photos-inside-celebrity-cruises-500-million-renovation.html. Verandah stateroom looks way more modern than the one in which we just spent 24 days!

I’m excited, we are doing the repositioning (for the 3rd time) in April. We loved the first two, plus our cruise around Japan. This should be even more spectacular (if that is possible). Does anyone know if Capt Nikolaus or Capt Alex will be first on the “new” ship?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I’m excited, we are doing the repositioning (for the 3rd time) in April. We loved the first two, plus our cruise around Japan. This should be even more spectacular (if that is possible). Does anyone know if Capt Nikolaus or Capt Alex will be first on the “new” ship?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thanks for the link..

I am going to re post it on the Revolution deck plan thread as it has alot of ip gen nfo about the upgrades...

adding more AQ cabins will make BLU more crowded...they will need more staff.

Reg staterooms look like they will have less real storage, drawers and counter space!

Edited by hcat