Could somebody please explain this to me?

My travel companion (who is my TA as well) and I booked a cruise on Veendam for March 7,2018.The fare was non-refundable. We also purchased the CPPP for this cruise. We booked AND paid in full immediately on January 8,2018. My TA informed me, after she sent me the Booking confirmation, that we could not use the CPPP in case we needed cancel the cruise,because the fare was non-refundable. The CPPP Summary of Benefits reads that the plan is available for purchase prior to the date on which cancellation fees begin to accrue. Our "Cancellation fees schedule began on January 7,2018",which was AFTER we paid the cruise incl. CPPP. The TA said that we need to stay well and healthy and do not need to cancel. I had never traveled without chance to cancel in case of an illness, so I bought Cancellation and medical travel insurance from my bank (very expensive) to have a peace of mind. The cruise is coming in a few days,I am well,happy and ready to go,but I still do not understand if the CPPP would be enough and valid for cancellation if I needed it.

English is my second language,so it is difficult for me to explain it properly,but I hope that some of you experienced HAL cruisers can understand and give me an answer.:confused:

Thank you very much!

In order to purchase HAL's insurance you must buy it before the day on which cancellation penalties start to accrue. That is why we always make our final payment a few days earlier than we have to. We want to be able to apply the insurance as well.

There was a time when you had to buy the insurance upon booking if you wanted it. This way is much better.

Am I understanding you correctly?

You bought non refundable fare (which makes sense with the timing) and you bought HAL's insurance at the same time?

If I got that right other than medical ( I do think HAL's insurance lacks on that) you are covered for the bulk of the cost depending on which plan you got. Is CPPP platinum?

I am not sure what your TA is doing or why or telling you but as long as you bought HAL's insurance the day of the booking you should be fine.

sapper1

Today 07:34 PM

In order to purchase HAL's insurance you must buy it before the day on which cancellation penalties start to accrue

My TA bought it one day AFTER cancellation penalties started to accrue. My question is:is the CPPP even valid? Should my TA had even bought it?

kazu

Today 07:59 PM

You bought non refundable fare (which makes sense with the timing) and you bought HAL's insurance at the same time?

Yes,and it is Platinum.But it was purchased AFTER the cancel.penalties started to accrue.

I doubt it should had been purchased at all. I tried to ask HAL,but they did not talk to me as I had booked with my TA,not with the line.

You still have the medical and trip interruption coverage that is included in the CPP coverage.

Unless I have it wrong, you cannot avail yourself of the cancel for any reason (before the ship sails) aspect of the coverage, but this seems moot as your are healthy and are likely to sail as scheduled.

Once you sail, the CPP coverage will still cover (up to plan limits) any medical expenses and/or trip interruption expenses that you incur.

You are healthy and able to cruise...so go and enjoy! Any "insurance" is moot at this point for you. You pay your money....you take your chances.

Stop worrying about it and have a nice vacation.

cb at sea:I love your post,but inquisitive minds want to know and understand ;).

(I am posting this again...my first answer to you disappeared...how come?)

You still have the medical and trip interruption coverage that is included in the CPP coverage.

Unless I have it wrong, you cannot avail yourself of the cancel for any reason (before the ship sails) aspect of the coverage, but this seems moot as your are healthy and are likely to sail as scheduled.

Once you sail, the CPP coverage will still cover (up to plan limits) any medical expenses and/or trip interruption expenses that you incur.

Thank you thinfool. Maybe the coverage without the cancellation part should be less expensive? I just wonder why this coverage was sold to us when we actually missed the deadline (prior to canc.fees started to accrue).

Who actually sells the plan to the customer: HAL or TA? That I would like to understand

<snip>

My TA bought it one day AFTER cancellation penalties started to accrue. My question is:is the CPPP even valid? Should my TA had even bought it?

Yes,and it is Platinum.But it was purchased AFTER the cancel.penalties started to accrue.

I doubt it should had been purchased at all. I tried to ask HAL,but they did not talk to me as I had booked with my TA,not with the line.

Got it. You are correct, it shouldn't have been purchased since it is not valid.

Thank you thinfool. Maybe the coverage without the cancellation part should be less expensive? I just wonder why this coverage was sold to us when we actually missed the deadline (prior to canc.fees started to accrue).

Who actually sells the plan to the customer: HAL or TA? That I would like to understand

It's HAL's plan but if you had a TA they were the one that sold it to you. HAL's conditions are pretty clear. Assuming your TA suggested it to you, it should never have been offered in your scenario IMO.

<snip>

[/left]

[/font][/color][/left]

Got it. You are correct, it shouldn't have been purchased since it is not valid.

It's HAL's plan but if you had a TA they were the one that sold it to you. HAL's conditions are pretty clear. Assuming your TA suggested it to you, it should never have been offered in your scenario IMO.

It seems the Ta bought the insurance after the cancellation date had already passed/. If I underestand correcttly, she should not have bought the insurnance e that right from the moment or purchase was invalid.. Her company owews you a refund, IMO. I see you are firiends and travel mates but this is business Does she not see and acknowledge how she made a serious mistake?.

Edited by sail7seas

I went back in and pulled up the terms and conditions. Kazu and Sail are correct. I bolded what you need in red.

This is a special fare being offered for a limited time, with certain limitations that apply:

• Payment must be made in full at the time of booking.

• This specially priced promotion is 100% non-refundable from the point of payment unless you purchase one of our Cancellation Protection Plans at time of booking.

Holland America Line’s Cancellation Protection Plans can help protect your vacation investment from loss. The Standard and Platinum Cancellation Protection Plans are optional purchases. Payment is due at time of purchase. The plan cost is non-refundable.

It seems the Ta bought the insurance after the cancellation date had already passed/. If I underestand correcttly, she should not have bought the insurnance e that right from the moment or purchase was invalid.. Her company owews you a refund, IMO. I see you are firiends and travel mates but this is business Does she not see and acknowledge how she made a serious mistake?.

Thank you,Sail

This is her response:

" YES, The CPPP plan was purchased for the medical, baggage, evacuation etc.It is valid for those options that happen on the cruise. We could not purchase the standard plan because it was cancellation only. Cancelling before the trip was never an option because we had to pay in full. I have no other answers and would like to have a relaxing vacations without further discussion on this subject. "

Because we travel together in 2days,I don't want to spoil the vacation for both of us. I just needed to know the truth and understand better the conditions and policies.

Thank you again.

Are you sure the date of purchase was after HAL’s final payment date? Many outside agents collect early so they do not miss a date.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums