Boston Amtrak Station

Hope to Cruise

In Boston, Amtrak's South Station terminal (Atlantic Ave & Summer St.) is approx 1 mile from the Black Falcon Cruise Terminal (Drydock Ave).

"Reasonable" hotels needs clarification - there are some hotels in that area, but reasonable to me may not be the same to you. (When I go to Boston and need to stay overnight, I get a hotel in Revere on Route 1, past the airport.)

Date would be October of 2009 and we are coming from California via Amtrak. I have looked at some Boston hotels and reasonable is certainly an issue. I see NCL offers a hotel for $300/night which does include transfer to the ship. I am having trouble finding a hotel in town for much less than that.

We wanted to stay downtown so that our day of sightseeing would be conveniently close. My husband has never been to Boston. We would stay two nights in the "reasonable" hotel. Looks like we will have to grin and bear it if we want to stay in town.

I would want to know what hotel NCL is going to put you in. They may assume people are coming in by plane and put you in a hotel up on route 1 in Revere!

Having said that, you have lots of time to find a hotel. Search the East Coast Departures forum for the hotel discussions. Do you have any hotel points or frequent flier miles that could be used for hotel? Check out the discussions of Priceline and Hotwire for bidding on hotels. What are your exact dates? Is it Columbus day weekend? Boston is busy in the fall - there are lots of college activities, parent's weekends, and leaf watchers. Boston is also a small city, so almost any hotel that would be on Priceline or Hotwire would be OK. Distance from the port would not be a problem.

If money is an issue you might want to consider renting a car and staying out along route 128/95. I'm seeing a motel near me in Bedford MA for $60 this October - some of our family has stayed there and it's OK - not great but OK. From there you can drive to Alewife and take the T into Boston. I know others will have some creative suggestions for you.

Good info, thanks. NCL uses hotels that are right in town, pretty near the cruise port. Priceline, etc. might be good - perhaps Capt. Kirk could help!

Since the date is more than a year away I have to wait a bit but you have all have given me some good ideas. Thanks

The rates in October for hotels are generally pretty high because of the foliage season. I suggest looking at hotwire or priceline. You may be able to get a decent price on a nice hotel in the city. Renting a car and staying further away is always an option, but make sure you have a GPS of some sort as the Boston area can be confusing at time. Hope you can find a great deal!

One other option is to find a hotel with free transfers to and from Logan Airport. Once you're settled in to your room, take the hotel's shuttle to the airport and then use the "T" to do your exploration of Boston. Last year I stayed at Hampton Inn on Rt. 1 in Revere (rooms under $200/night) and took their hotel shuttle back and forth to the airport to catch the Blue Line in to Boston.

Archived